Russell Wilson LEGIT MVP Candidate

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't think of a single player that is more of a Most Valuable Player to their team right now than Russell Wilson. While Carson Wentz will no doubt still be leading the current vote, if we are to truly base the MVP on what it really stands for, then Russell Wilson has to be a strong consideration.

Who has to do more with less? Nobody. No running game, no real protection, yet he takes this team on his back game-after-game and WILLS this team to victory with his big play ability and comebacks. The defense hasn't been as elite as it has in years past, and while still very good, the game against Houston PROVED to America that Russell is not the beneficiary of a strong running game (Lynch Era) and dominant defense to help him win. He had neither in that game and out-dueled the incredibly impressive Watson.

Assuming Wilson can keep winning and carrying this injury-riddled team on his back to the post season, he should be a lock. That circus play last night, there's not a single QB in the NFL that can do that. It was extraordinary.

Russell is extraordinary and should be considered a strong candidate for this year's MVP.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I'd say if he keeps this level of play up while the running game remains awful he should be one of the candidates. I think I saw as of last night he's 3rd in passing yards? Given the injuries on defense, it's likely they wont be able to keep the offense in all these low scoring games, so he will need to keep having some big games.

classicaaron

Reaction score
agreed, has anyone done more with less than Russ. Dude has just been playing back yard football and taking the games over himself. his will and determination keeps them in every game. without him this team is probably 1-8 or 2-7 right now

iigakusei

Reaction score
You can't give the MVP to a QB on an offense this bad. You just can't. Unfair? Maybe. But you can't.

Seymour

Reaction score
iigakusei":1212xpkx said:
You can't give the MVP to a QB on an offense this bad. You just can't. Unfair? Maybe. But you can't.

They actually could. By some numbers we come up as a top 10 offense as ridiculous as that sounds.

But again....MVP comes from a deep level playoff team more than anything else. Wilson has been too up and down for this discussion IMO, but he could well be in the "real talk" by years end for carrying the team.

Attachments

• Offense-Ranking-Week-9.jpg
    Offense-Ranking-Week-9.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 3,542

iigakusei

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2mne2wex said:
iigakusei":2mne2wex said:

I don't think you get what MVP means.
If it is proven to be most valuable to his team - then the MVP this year is Rodgers. But we know he isn't going to win. Why? Because that really isn't what people who vote for the MVP vote for.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
iigakusei":11snb66l said:
FlyHawksFly":11snb66l said:
iigakusei":11snb66l said:

If it is proven to be most valuable to his team - then the MVP this year is Rodgers. But we know he isn't going to win. Why? Because that really isn't what people who vote for the MVP vote for.

I don't think that's what MVP means either.

It's meant to be the most valuable player to a good team. So you almost always have to have a superlative season on a playoff team. There have been caveats, like when a RB goes for over 2000 yds and is the entire teams offense.

I think you always look at the best players on the best teams and go from there. Wilson is without a doubt the best player on our team both in athleticism and clutchness. Then you have to look at how much that player contributes to the offense. Wilson is our offense. He has a terrible OL. A terrible running game. One awesome receiver and a few decent ones. And gets hamstrung by penalties over and over again. Wilson is the single mom raising 3 kids and the rest of the offense is the deadbeat dad.

So he's definitely a legit candidate, provided he survives. But there are several other legit candidates in Brady, Wentz, Brees. I think Russ has less additional support than those guys. Whether voters decide to look at that or only raw stats, who knows.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
iigakusei":nrdodw3l said:
FlyHawksFly":nrdodw3l said:
iigakusei":nrdodw3l said:

The award isn't hypothetically most valuable to his team if he played this year, it's who most contributed towards winning this year. So no Rodgers couldn't get it. BUT....

If people believe the offense would be so disastrous without Wilson that he's lifted them up into contention with mediocre offensive play (and MVP level play from him specifically) I think you could make the argument for him getting MVP. But time will tell by the end of the year.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Saw this stat this morning:
"Russell Wilson has accounted for 1095 out of the Seahawks 1197 total yard the past three games. That's 91.4%."

It made me look up the rest of RW's production compared to the team's...
RW's total yards - 2,833 yards
Seahawks Offense - 3,316 yards
RW's % of Offense - 85.4%

The offense begins and ends with RW and I don't think there's a single player on any other roster in the league that means more to their respective units. I don't expect RW to actually receive the MVP award considering we've never even had a coach of the year or GM of the year awarded in the past. But it's pretty clear he's the heart and soul of this offense.

LITP

Reaction score
Big fan of RW - if I had to hand pick a replacement for Brady it would be him.

Mobility, guts and throws a mean spiral - seems like an understated leader - despite being QB for a consistently bad offence, behind a mostly awful O-line.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Wilson definitely has a shot at winning the MVP depending on how the rest of the season plays out. I'll just go ahead and predict it now. :)

northseahawk

Reaction score
Is this a joke? He is unwatchable 90% of the time!

His absolute zero pocket presence is making the online worst and ruining the timings of true routes.

AlciG

Reaction score
northseahawk":2l4q4wqa said:

His absolute zero pocket presence is making the online worst and ruining the timings of true routes.

Not sure if you're serious?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
AlciG":1d2s9ti9 said:
northseahawk":1d2s9ti9 said:

Not sure if you're serious?

I'm sure he's serious, not that the post should be taken seriously.

There's a small group of fans out there that truly think RW is a bad QB because of the way he plays behind historically bad offensive lines. The only QB I see even surviving a season - let alone getting wins - behind our line the last three seasons is Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunately Rodgers can't even last behind a line that has established and perfected the hugging/holding technique and therefore gets away with more than any other unit in the league.

RW has shown he can do it all. He can light it up from the pocket, he can make any and all throws on the run, he can escape pressure and make Houdini plays... anybody who doesn't see the value that RW brings at this point has some weird discrimination issues or truly believes that the only QBs worth their salt in this league are the statues that sit behind great offensive lines and have 3+ seconds to release the ball on a regular basis.

Seymour

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":27p90awj said:
I'm sure he's serious, not that the post should be taken seriously.

Agree...
Doesn't deserve a response other than.....

117tqf

northseahawk

Reaction score
I am assuming that lucky throw up that Baldwin caught was skills to you guys! Lol

I guess this is the small group of people that no matter if Wilson literally shits on the field, you guys would still worship him!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":1xjp16dr said:
^This defies logic ^
MVP stands for Most Valuable PLAYER, not Most Valuable Offensive Line.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":2kvxtrkx said:
FlyHawksFly":2kvxtrkx said:
iigakusei":2kvxtrkx said:

Quarterback>>>>>Rodgers<<<<< can't be considered MVP, BECAUSE you can't be considered MVP if Y'all ain't playin'....Quarterback>>>>>RUSSELL WILSON <<<<<IS PLAYIN'
Also, It's NOT Most Valuable Winningest Team, it's Most Valuable PLAYER to a TEAM.