Life Without Sherman--Discussion of Options Moving Forward..

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I think that most of us would agree that last night's win was perhaps one of the costliest in Seahawks history. Losing Richard Sherman for the rest of the season (and perhaps for the rest of his career here in Seattle) is one heck of a blow. As much as this sucks, I'm one of those who turns fairly quickly and asks himself, "Now what?" I'd love to get some thoughts and discussion going on what's next moving forward.

It goes without saying that you can't replace a Richard Sherman. You just can't replace one of the best CB's in the game. BUT ... I'm wondering just how truly devastating of the blow this truly is and whether or not the Seahawks can work around it.

My immediate thoughts as far as a replacement is concerned ... (I think quite naturally) is DeShawn Shead. Shead has returned to practice and there seems to already be quite a bit of discussion on whether or not he's going to be activated and in uniform against the Falcons.

According to Pro Football Focus, Shead had a passer rating against of 90.3 in games that he started opposite Richard Sherman. To put that into perspective, that's about what Shaq Griffin has given the Seahawks thus far.

Also, I'd forgotten that Shead was quite a force against the run ...
Shead 1024x576
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...uld-be-sidelined-well-into-the-regular-season

So, IF Earl Thomas comes back and is anywhere close to his normal self (again, that's quite debateable) ... and if Chancellor is OK (again, we'll see) ... then I'm wondering just how much of a death blow Sherman going down truly is. Justin Coleman has been outstanding as a slot corner, so that appears to be pretty locked down. If they can find enough coins in the couch cushions, I'd expect Schneider to make a move to sign Byron Maxwell (who obviously knows our system and how to play our style of ball) -- so that would give this team some depth there.

Moving forward, I'd say that this group may not be the Legion of Boom that we're used to seeing ... but I don't know that I'd say that opposing QB's are going to automatically suddenly start lighting this secondary up either. If the Hawks can continue to generate a consistent pass rush (which is always key to great secondary play anyway) ... I'm wondering if they can get by and still remain a fairly stout secondary. Could this version of the LOB be (perhaps) say ... 65-70% of themselves moving forward? Maybe.

I dunno. Thoughts guys?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3f5f0ah0 said:
I think that most of us would agree that last night's win was perhaps one of the costliest in Seahawks history. Losing Richard Sherman for the rest of the season (and perhaps for the rest of his career here in Seattle) is one heck of a blow. As much as this sucks, I'm one of those who turns fairly quickly and asks himself, "Now what?" I'd love to get some thoughts and discussion going on what's next moving forward.

It goes without saying that you can't replace a Richard Sherman. You just can't replace one of the best CB's in the game. BUT ... I'm wondering just how truly devastating of the blow this truly is and whether or not the Seahawks can work around it.

My immediate thoughts as far as a replacement is concerned ... (I think quite naturally) is DeShawn Shead. Shead has returned to practice and there seems to already be quite a bit of discussion on whether or not he's going to be activated and in uniform against the Falcons.

According to Pro Football Focus, Shead had a passer rating against of 90.3 in games that he started opposite Richard Sherman. To put that into perspective, that's about what Shaq Griffin has given the Seahawks thus far.

Shead 1024x576
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...uld-be-sidelined-well-into-the-regular-season

So, IF Earl Thomas comes back and is anywhere close to his normal self (again, that's quite debateable) ... and if Chancellor is OK (again, we'll see) ... then I'm wondering just how much of a death blow Sherman going down truly is. Justin Coleman has been outstanding as a slot corner, so that appears to be pretty locked down. If they can find enough coins in the couch cushions, I'd expect Schneider to make a move to sign Byron Maxwell (who obviously knows our system and how to play our style of ball) -- so that would give this team some depth there.

Moving forward, I'd say that this group may not be the Legion of Boom that we're used to seeing ... but I don't know that I'd say that opposing QB's are going to automatically suddenly start lighting this secondary up either. If the Hawks can continue to generate a consistent pass rush (which is always key to great secondary play anyway) ... I'm wondering if they can get by and still remain a fairly stout secondary. Could this version of the LOB be (perhaps) say ... 65-70% of themselves moving forward? Maybe.

I dunno. Thoughts guys?

Wait Jeremy Lane does something positive as a player? I'd never know that as a hawk fan on this board. (Yes its from last yr)

King Dog

Reaction score
It just seems that Byron Maxwell is such a natural fit and signing at the moment. He was productive here, knows the scheme and already has relationships with the players. Could throw him out on the field next game.

RussB

Reaction score
Byron maxwell is the only answer right now. They need to scoop him up fast.

Boycie

Reaction score
Even though this is a tough spot to be in, it does give us the opportunity to see where we would be without Sherman.

Remember that Sherman came in after someone went out with an injury, and the rest is history. I am hoping for the same, but I am not holding my breathe on this one.

aawolf

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":5k3n35nm said:
Hawkscanner":5k3n35nm said:

Shead 1024x576
Source:

I dunno. Thoughts guys?

Wait Jeremy Lane does something positive as a player? I'd never know that as a hawk fan on this board. (Yes its from last yr)

Here's a bit of optimism:

Lane lucked into his situation this year and has a chance to prove himself. We tried to trade him, but we couldn't. Now, he has a chance to prove how wrong we were to trade him. I'm fine with seeing how he does after we chose to move on without him, but ended up having to take him back. As the great Steve Smith said, its time to "Ice up, Son!".

As for Maxwell, I'm not sure how we can fit him in given our cap situation. We have a bunch of young bucks on the Practice squad that can step up if needed in Mike Tyson and Akheem King (with names like that, they have to be good). Also, remember, Sherman, a fifth-round pick, got his start his rookie year after Trufant went down with any injury. Somebody the LOB has groomed and prepared for this moment now has a chance to step up and shine.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The salary cap wouldn't be an issue in signing Maxwell if he signed for the veteran minimum (which is likely all that he'd be offered anyway). The cap charge on vet minimum contracts is even less than the salary itself. The bigger issue with Maxwell would be the status of his foot injury, which he was still limited by when the Fins released him a couple of weeks ago.

2_0_6

Reaction score
With his contract expiring after next season, I wonder if the FO might extend Sherm to free up more cap space? Im sure he will still want to be a top 3 paid CB, but we are in some serious cap hell right about now.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3ndpgwkn said:
With his contract expiring after next season, I wonder if the FO might extend Sherm to free up more cap space? Im sure he will still want to be a top 3 paid CB, but we are in some serious cap hell right about now.

Achilles injury is brutal... he may never be the same.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
I know everyone is down on Lane, but at one time he was a pretty consistent lights out player. There was a reason they paid him last year. While Pete has an issues with instilling discipline, motivational skills are his strong suit. I'm sure he's going to frame this as a chance for redemption with Jeremy Lane. The whole 'everything that happened led to this moment for you to step up and prove everyone wrong' speech.

I'm not putting money on that working, but I wouldn't discount it, either. Hopefully a re-dedicated Lane will appear and surprise us in the 2nd half of the season.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
This is a tough place to be in, but as someone mentioned we will get to see what life is like without sherm, the dude is a stud and nobody is denying this. But it’s also a buisness and sherm hasn’t been himself for the last little while and going into his last contract season.

There may be some tough decisions to make next year and this will let us have a look at where we are without him. Having said that if sherm does come back even at 80% of what he is, he is so intelligent on the field he would still be a great CB

2_0_6

Reaction score
gowazzu02":129uofjw said:
Hawk_Nation":129uofjw said:

Achilles injury is brutal... he may never be the same.

Depends on the severity of the tear

chris98251

Reaction score
Lane isn't physical post Super Bowl injury, he doesn't wrap up, but shoulder tackles a lot. Plays off too much. Our CB's have to be in Run support to hit gaps, if he can't tackle he is a liability.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
chris98251":1m0ko9q8 said:
Lane isn't physical post Super Bowl injury, he doesn't wrap up, but shoulder tackles a lot. Plays off too much. Our CB's have to be in Run support to hit gaps, if he can't tackle he is a liability.

Wasn't 2016 post SB? He was one of the best tackling CB's vs the run.

chris98251

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2rttv1ra said:
chris98251":2rttv1ra said:

Wasn't 2016 post SB? He was one of the best tackling CB's vs the run.

Watch him, on special teams he is a beast as a gunner or was.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":2rgilw7j said:

Which is precisely why I come back to DeShawn Shead. According to PFF (and again, take that FWIW) ... Shead in 2016 was better in run support than even Richard Sherman. So, if he can bring anywhere close to that level of physical style play and be that kind of a presence in run support (again Shead was #1 in Run Support in the NFL in 2016 among CB's) ... I'm wondering if Shead wouldn't be such a bad option.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
aawolf":1vvl3cee said:
Here's a bit of optimism:

Lane lucked into his situation this year and has a chance to prove himself. We tried to trade him, but we couldn't. Now, he has a chance to prove how wrong we were to trade him. I'm fine with seeing how he does after we chose to move on without him, but ended up having to take him back. As the great Steve Smith said, its time to "Ice up, Son!".

As for Maxwell, I'm not sure how we can fit him in given our cap situation. We have a bunch of young bucks on the Practice squad that can step up if needed in Mike Tyson and Akheem King (with names like that, they have to be good). Also, remember, Sherman, a fifth-round pick, got his start his rookie year after Trufant went down with any injury. Somebody the LOB has groomed and prepared for this moment now has a chance to step up and shine.

That's a point a lot of people seem to have forgotten. After all, Sherman got his chance after Trufant went down. I mean, what would have happened if Trufant had never gotten hurt? Would Sherman ever have truly gotten his chance to show what he can do ... or to become the kind of player he ultimately became?

Sometimes, it's all about opportunity -- about getting your shot. So, I'm all for seeing what a Mike Tyson or some of the other young guys can really do. You never know.

Latest posts