After the Pete Carroll Era

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Richard has a shot but they probably go outside and Allen makes another big splash.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It'll depend on how Pete goes out.

If it's get back to another SB now or in 3-4 years and everyone's still warm and fuzzy with Pete and his staff? Then yeah it'll probably be a Carroll disciple (pick one, any one).

On the other hand, if we go through a slow decline for the next 3-4 years and can't regain that SB caliber of team and Allen has to make the tough decision of letting Pete go (or Pete retires after a 8-8 or 7-9 season?)..............then it makes more sense to go in an entirely different direction with a new coach and staff.

Seymour

Reaction score
Newsflash!

That "slow decline" started in 2015 and we are in year 3.

Carroll and crew likely will be gone within 2 years IMO. Where do we go from there? anywhere that is the fastest way from Cable and Bevell. In Paul we must trust.

cymatica

Reaction score
Jim Mora. We need some dirtbags on oline and a kicker on a short leash

mrt144

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1hfrzg1k said:
Future talk here.

Just curious.

What are your thoughts on who succeeds Carroll?

Bigger question. What happens with JS?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt has done a terrific job with this defensive line. I'd be interested to see what he can do. Bevell and Richard don't seem to have the coach's mentality, as respected as they are by the players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2p0oseop said:
Newsflash!

That "slow decline" started in 2015 and we are in year 3..

I guess my definition of decline is different than yours. No team that goes 10-6 or better and wins playoff games should be considered in a "decline."

To me decline means beginning to miss the playoffs, which is entirely possible this year. So we'll see.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The disciple route is probably a bad idea, unless they can pry Dan Quinn away from Atlanta when the time comes.

A better approach would be to hire someone autonomous, like Carroll, who has excelled at the college level, with his own ironclad philosophy on competition.

Perhaps David Shaw would be persuaded to leave Stanford for a lot of money and control. Or maybe Chris Peterson gets tired of the recruiting process.

Frankly, it's way too early to speculate. If they brought in a new OC this off-season and that person shined, then that hypothetical OC might become the front runner in this discussion.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Seymour":3awlmqz0 said:
Newsflash!

That "slow decline" started in 2015 and we are in year 3.

Carroll and crew likely will be gone within 2 years IMO. Where do we go from there? anywhere that is the fastest way from Cable and Bevell. In Paul we must trust.

I hate so say it but I agree. We had an amazing core (Defense), some of the best to ever play the game, but they are older and beat up. They are selling off draft picks for older guys with 1 years deals. Seems like a last hurrah to me. I don't think Pete stays another 2-3 years, and would not be surprised if he left after this year.
This and next year are HUGE to this team going forward. With a qb like Russ we are in contention, but we also could go into a complete dumpster fire.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2017":ve93l6n7 said:
Perhaps David Shaw would be persuaded to leave Stanford for a lot of money and control. Or maybe Chris Peterson gets tired of the recruiting process.

I think you're gonna see Shaw coaching the Colts or Cardinals next year. Ain't no way he's going to stay another 3-4 years at Stanford.

Peterson is interesting, not sure if his coaching style translates to the NFL. Also not sure if he'd want to leave the college game, he's always been as much about molding and teaching as he is coaching.

I think he'd be successful, just don't think he'd want to leave college.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
If they want to bring in a new genius OC this off-season, the possibility of becoming the next HC would be an obvious selling point.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1tymz7bv said:
Seymour":1tymz7bv said:
Newsflash!

I guess my definition of decline is different than yours. No team that goes 10-6 or better and wins playoff games should be considered in a "decline."

To me decline means beginning to miss the playoffs, which is entirely possible this year. So we'll see.

And to me, it is more about how well you did with the talent you had on your roster.

We have 9 or 10 pro bowlers.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":dvuygltk said:
Sgt. Largent":dvuygltk said:
Seymour":dvuygltk said:
Newsflash!

And to me, it is more about how well you did with the talent you had on your roster.

And according to the negative nancy's, that means we are on the decline! LOL.

What will you say if we win the division again, along with 11 or more games?

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":121qiukt said:
Seymour":121qiukt said:
Newsflash!

What if I showed you a statistical breakdown of our drive stats that places 2017 1 standard deviation below 2012-2016 mean (and I counted 2017 in that mean as well) in all but one offensive category, and only one defensive category?

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/11/9/16 ... -2012-2016

That was before the Thursday night game and based on the back of envelope, that performance didn't change much other than Points per Red Zone trip.

2012 and 2013 were the high water marks in performance relative to self for the RW era Seahawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2iqoy2l4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2iqoy2l4 said:
Seymour":2iqoy2l4 said:
Newsflash!

We HAD 9 or 10 pro bowlers, as in past tense.

If a popularity contest where fan vote is your measuring stick for evaluating roster talent, you need to come up with a better measuring stick.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gquqlw7 said:
Seymour":2gquqlw7 said:
Sgt. Largent":2gquqlw7 said:
Seymour":2gquqlw7 said:
Newsflash!

We HAD 9 or 10 pro bowlers, as in past tense.

If a popularity contest where fan vote is your measuring stick for evaluating roster talent, you need to come up with a better measuring stick.

Ya, you are right. They all suck (when it is convenient to say that). :roll:

Of course you don't think they are under achieving, you have to defend Bevell with something other than tin foil.