The search for a new coach

Crizilla

Reaction score
Pete isn't going to last forever. It's time to give a moment of silence for Pete and all he's done for the franchise. He's the real MP3..........*moment of silence* ..........

Anyways, now that Pete is gone and forgotten what should Schneider do? Have Bevell take over? He's already calling the plays so he's familiar with the offense. Or get a big time coach in the off season if it doesn't work out. Coaches are simply out coaching Pete and Pete isn't that clever with trick plays. Yes it worked in NFC title game. But you have to take points anyway you can get with 7 seconds left before halftime. Gruden? He won't do it though. Chip Kelly? No way. His philosophy failed in Philly. I'd look at some defensive coordinators. How about Todd Wash?

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Scott Frost from ucf ,with today's rules you gotta go offense.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
As pissy as I am with the coaching staff right now, I'd prefer to wait till the body is dead before we bury them.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":2jikx7dq said:
Pete isn't going to last forever. It's time to give a moment of silence for Pete and all he's done for the franchise. He's the real MP3..........*moment of silence* ..........

Anyways, now that Pete is gone and forgotten what should Schneider do? Have Bevell take over? He's already calling the plays so he's familiar with the offense. Or get a big time coach in the off season if it doesn't work out. Coaches are simply out coaching Pete and Pete isn't that clever with trick plays. Yes it worked in NFC title game. But you have to take points anyway you can get with 7 seconds left before halftime. Gruden? He won't do it though. Chip Kelly? No way. His philosophy failed in Philly. I'd look at some defensive coordinators. How about Todd Wash?
If you'd be going the Todd Wash route, why not just stick with his former teammate and boss, Gus Bradley?

FireHawk79

Reaction score
I think Jim Schwartz would be a good coach again. He’s a strong defensive mind. Would need a good o coordinator for sure

massari

Reaction score
I know very few names, but how's a Gruden / OC Hue Jackson combo? Would they be a good fit for Wilson?

Jackson is expected to be fired by the Browns and could replace Bevell while they could offer Gruden Carroll's salary which is a couple more million than he makes annually at ESPN.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Josh McDaniels.... go get him.

Problem is I think unless Pete steps down he isn’t going anywhere. Hopefully he wakes up and fires his staff.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":2nqvaa2y said:
Matt Patricia
I don't get what people see in this guy. I would be very wary of picking up a Patriots coach. The guys that spawn from the Bilicheck coaching tree are failures. Crennell, Weis, Mangini, and McDaniels. That list is pretty bad. We could even add Saban's name to the failed NFL coach list. He is a great collegiate guy, but in the NFL he either wasn't ready, or just couldn't cut it.

My guess is, if Paul Allen has any say he is going to go with a high profile coach -- that is his MO. His first hire was Mike Holmgren, and the second hire he directly had a hand in was Pete Carroll. Jim Mora was a move by Ruskell, and well, we all know how that went. That move got the Paul Allen veto very quickly.

What we can extrapolate from this small data size, is that whomever is going to be our coach, they need to have head coaching experience. The second thing is they need to have a history of winning underneath their belts. Holmgren and Carroll both had been to championships multiple times, and built a long term winning culture. Carroll was more of a dark horse, because he failed in the NFL, but was wildly successful in college.

If Carroll retires, and or is fired I do believe that Gruden would be near the top of the list. He has a Super Bowl credentials to his name, and a decent record.

Other wild cards would be Urban Meyer, Nick Saban (doubtful)

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Pete's not going anywhere. And most of the names mentioned as replacements are utterly ridiculous and laughable.

The off-with-his-head mentality sure worked well for the 49ers didn't it? They're on their 4th HC in 4 years and are 1-9 now. Oh but they're seeing progress aren't they?

It worked great for the Bears when they fired Lovie Smith after going 10-6. They've been dogsh!t ever since.

How many coaches have the Jaguars had since they fired Jack del Rio in 2011? They've had 4 head coaches and zero playoff wins. The first three guys went a combined 18-65 since del Rio.

When you fire a head coach for any reason other than poor overall results over an extended period, you rarely move forward. You just wind up joining those crappy teams like the Browns who lose and lose and lose.

Thankfully, most owners didn't become bilionairres by paying attention to knee jerk reactions from the masses.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1xunlqpu said:
thegreeninyoureye":1xunlqpu said:
Matt Patricia
I don't get what people see in this guy. I would be very wary of picking up a Patriots coach. The guys that spawn from the Bilicheck coaching tree are failures. Crennell, Weis, Mangini, and McDaniels. That list is pretty bad. We could even add Saban's name to the failed NFL coach list. He is a great collegiate guy, but in the NFL he either wasn't ready, or just couldn't cut it.

My guess is, if Paul Allen has any say he is going to go with a high profile coach -- that is his MO. His first hire was Mike Holmgren, and the second hire he directly had a hand in was Pete Carroll. Jim Mora was a move by Ruskell, and well, we all know how that went. That move got the Paul Allen veto very quickly.

What we can extrapolate from this small data size, is that whomever is going to be our coach, they need to have head coaching experience. The second thing is they need to have a history of winning underneath their belts. Holmgren and Carroll both had been to championships multiple times, and built a long term winning culture. Carroll was more of a dark horse, because he failed in the NFL, but was wildly successful in college.

If Carroll retires, and or is fired I do believe that Gruden would be near the top of the list. He has a Super Bowl credentials to his name, and a decent record.

Other wild cards would be Urban Meyer, Nick Saban (doubtful)
Agreed!

I think what's key with the next coach is they will need some sort of "football system."

Paul Allen likes to make big splashes because it also markets the team.

A coach with a winning history of championships is usually the common denominator.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next coach is Urban Meyer, Saban, or even Dabo.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":2gmhtxjp said:
I know very few names, but how's a Gruden / OC Hue Jackson combo? Would they be a good fit for Wilson?

Jackson is expected to be fired by the Browns and could replace Bevell while they could offer Gruden Carroll's salary which is a couple more million than he makes annually at ESPN.

Your solution to fixing a 6-4 team that’d be a #1 seed in the conference without catastrophic injuries to the defense is firing its best coach ever for a guy that won a title with another persons players and hasn’t coached in 10 years? Then pairing him with the man overseeing a team that’s gone 1-25 since he’s been there?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":11abft6u said:
:lol: :lol:

This fan base is the absolute worst.

It's not that atypical.

Don't worry, guys, we'll eventually get the decade or two of mediocrity/terribleness we deserve again.

randomation

Reaction score
Scott Frost would be fun as hell but I think he is going to Nebraska. More importantly he wouldn't have any loyalty to Bevell or Cable.