Ifedi is plain terrible (Pocic should be RT)

seabowl

Reaction score
I really don't understand why we keep force feeding Ifedi in a tackle position. It reminds me when we first got Carp and we did the same thing only to move him to guard and see that that position was much better suited for him. I would like to see them put Pocic at RT as he seems to have better feet and move Ifedi to guard.

Head scratcher for me.

Seymour

Reaction score
Same opinion I had in pre-season when they showed him at RT. You do not move a guy with slow / heavy feet and loves to reach and retreat from guard to tackle. Cable and Pete still haven't figured that out and now they both are going to ride the dumb ass penalties, strip 6 sacks, and other league leading penalties to our graves.

Thank you Pete for the great years and memories, but time for you to pack it in. Your decisions are now bordering senile.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was walking every where on the field last night, when we had plays where the runner was going to the second level he was standing and walking, on pass plays after he was beat he was walking. around looking, we have seen guys with heart and guys that collect a paycheck, Idefi looks like a paycheck guy and like he doesn't even want to really be out there.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Joeckel will be back this week.

Brown
Joeckel
Britt
Ifedi
Pocic

Move Ifedi back to his natural position, please. Pocic will take his lumps at RT, but moving outside would probably benefit him as well. He doesn't seem strong enough to play guard.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2017":19bjc5zq said:

Brown
Joeckel
Britt
Ifedi
Pocic

Move Ifedi back to his natural position, please. Pocic will take his lumps at RT, but moving outside would probably benefit him as well. He doesn't seem strong enough to play guard.

Pocic didn't look great at RT in the preseason either. He actually looked worse than Ifedi against 3rd stringers. Ifedi also didn't look very good at Guard last year. Worse than Aboushi, and tha'ts bad.

Brown
Pocic
Britt.
Aboushi
Joeckel

Fixed it for ya.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Just the same old stubborn coaching we've had for years now, pounding at nails with a screwdriver, insisting it's a hammer. See also: two years of Jimmy Graham blocking.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Hawks46":302k2hcw said:
hawknation2017":302k2hcw said:

Brown
Joeckel
Britt
Ifedi
Pocic

Pocic didn't look great at RT in the preseason either. He actually looked worse than Ifedi against 3rd stringers. Ifedi also didn't look very good at Guard last year. Worse than Aboushi, and tha'ts bad.

Brown
Pocic
Britt.
Aboushi
Joeckel

Fixed it for ya.

Aboushi is unlikely to play this week. And he's been terrible anyway (they were planning on inserting Pocic into the competition at RG once Joeckel was back).

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm all for moving Ifedi back to his natural position.

753 10145 navy mainProductImage FullSize

HawkerD

Reaction score
Seymour":gjba2rjq said:

Good one! Draft bust. More ammo & reason for them to fire PC/Tom Cable. The Oline alone is grounds for dismissal. How can no one get fired over this 3 year debacle! I get that crap happens but this is entirely too much to be a coincidence. Poor talent evaluation + poor coaching + poor performance = You're FIRED!

adeltaY

Reaction score
Lol this firing talk is crazy IMO. The mismanaged games and penalties have been bad, but so have the injuries.

Ifedi will stay at tackle. There is no one else, unless we want to try Tobin there. Aboushi is out at least a week, so Glow will likely be in there at RG. If Joeckel comes back, maybe we can move Pocic to RG, but I doubt they want to throw him out there at RT.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
adeltaY":206vl0yc said:
Lol this firing talk is crazy IMO. The mismanaged games and penalties have been bad, but so have the injuries.

Ifedi will stay at tackle. There is no one else, unless we want to try Tobin there. Aboushi is out at least a week, so Glow will likely be in there at RG. If Joeckel comes back, maybe we can move Pocic to RG, but I doubt they want to throw him out there at RT.

They probably won't because they will lean toward being conservative, but why not? Pocic started a game last year at RT for LSU and looked good. He has pretty good length and lateral agility for the tackle position. And he's been overpowered by DTs too often at guard. Pocic also played right tackle during most of training camp, so it's not like he is foreign to the position.

I say move Ifedi back to RG and start Pocic at RT. It probably won't happen, but it should because it makes sense to play each lineman at his strongest position.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
HawkerD":1r34e7de said:
Seymour":1r34e7de said:

Good one! Draft bust. More ammo & reason for them to fire PC/Tom Cable. The Oline alone is grounds for dismissal. How can no one get fired over this 3 year debacle! I get that crap happens but this is entirely too much to be a coincidence. Poor talent evaluation + poor coaching + poor performance = You're FIRED!

Pete Carroll has been the coach of the Seahawks for seven years before 2017.

Playoff Appearances: Six
Years with a Playoff VICTORY: ALSO Six
Divisional Titles: Four
NFC Champions: Twice
Super Bowl Champions: Once

This is not the record of a coach you fire. You change some coaching staff around that head coach if necessary. Pete is not perfect, and I put 80% of the blame on him yesterday. HOWEVER, to actually believe that the best thing for this organization is to fire Pete Carroll is pure stupidity. We are the Seattle Seahawks, not the Cleveland Browns bub.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":28t7d9fw said:
Pete Carroll has been the coach of the Seahawks for seven years before 2017.

Playoff Appearances: Six
Years with a Playoff VICTORY: ALSO Six
Divisional Titles: Four
NFC Champions: Twice
Super Bowl Champions: Once

This is not the record of a coach you fire. You change some coaching staff around that head coach if necessary. Pete is not perfect, and I put 80% of the blame on him yesterday. HOWEVER, to actually believe that the best thing for this organization is to fire Pete Carroll is pure stupidity. We are the Seattle Seahawks, not the Cleveland Browns bub.

tenor.gif

Seymour

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":10esb4k5 said:
This is not the record of a coach you fire. You change some coaching staff around that head coach if necessary.

Who exactly forces this issue to change coaching around him? If Cable goes does Pete's son get fired too? There is nobody to micro manage Petes staff other than Pete or Paul. We see the same problems over and over, and they are not getting fixed with Pete here. His past record has little to do with these issues and he is riding out the residual talent. Coping out using his record solves nothing. Hopefully he'll lose the locker room and then it will be forced. Baldwin has already called out coaching, so that is under way.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Where did this Pocic is a tackle mumbo jumbo come from? In his 37 starts at LSU only one was at right tackle all the rest were at center 27 and 9 right guard. I have a feeling Tom Cable was babbling about him playing tackle, long story short if Tom Cable thinks he can play tackle then we know that he will be one of the worst tackles in NFL history.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
sdog1981":576i0ajf said:
Where did this Pocic is a tackle mumbo jumbo come from? In his 37 starts at LSU only one was at right tackle all the rest were at center 27 and 9 right guard. I have a feeling Tom Cable was babbling about him playing tackle, long story short if Tom Cable thinks he can play tackle then we know that he will be one of the worst tackles in NFL history.

Cable was dead set on keeping Pocic at center. But Ifedi isn't cutting it at RT, and I think RG is likely Ifedi's natural position at the NFL level.

Pocic looked pretty good at RT to me, certainly better than the way he has been getting bullrushed at guard. The point is he has better footwork and lateral quickness than Ifedi. He practiced at RT during training camp. And he might just be a better fit at RT than Ifedi.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2obhb9lg said:
sdog1981":2obhb9lg said:

Cable was dead set on keeping Pocic at center. But Ifedi isn't cutting it at RT, and I think RG is likely Ifedi's natural position at the NFL level.

Pocic looked pretty good at RT to me, certainly better than the way he has been getting bullrushed at guard. The point is he has better footwork and lateral quickness than Ifedi. He practiced at RT during training camp. And he might just be a better fit at RT than Ifedi.

He played center because he was not athletic enough to play tackle at the SEC level. Let that sink in.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
sdog1981":3qt4erxh said:
hawknation2017":3qt4erxh said:
sdog1981":3qt4erxh said:

He played center because he was not athletic enough to play tackle at the SEC level. Let that sink in.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me for the following reasons:

#1 The SEC is reputed to have some of the faster athletes in the country.

#2 You generally have to be very quick to play the center position. It requires snapping the ball and simultaneously stepping into your first block, and most centers are required to pull and block downfield. Most centers tend to be the smaller, quicker athletes on the line.

#3 I thought quickness, specifically the ability to get downfield to make blocks, was supposed to be a strength of Pocic's at LSU. But maybe I am mistaken. At least he had a better 40 time than Ifedi (5.15 vs 5.27). But you might be right about his mediocre athleticism (his 7.89 3-cone and 4.81 short shuttle were poor times).

One thing I noticed about Pocic at LSU was how often he lost leverage and was pushed deep into the pocket by stronger defensive linemen. I think this is why he has looked like such a poor fit at guard. He's just not strong enough to play guard, at least not yet.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Comes down to this. I trust every line coach from every power five school and every line coach from 31 other NFL teams before I trust Cable.