Serious ? What did Seattle do to earn wrath of Officials?

Hendo66

Reaction score
Not ignoring the undisciplined play all year but this team gets constantly flagged on calls that could / should be left alone.

On the other hand opponents do get to play through on tons of borderline calls and seam to always skate on Offensive
holding among others.

What gives?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Typically I would shrug off posts like this but it does seem like the refs are extra tight on the Hawks this year.

To be fair to them, the Seahawks have been bringing alot of attention to themselves over the years, with numerous on and off field transgressions. Might be it, might be nothing. I do think the Seahawks image is a little darker than say the Patriots or Steelers though

Seymour

Reaction score
As long as the players are having fun, why worry about the penalties? :sarcasm_off:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You lose the 'benefit of the doubt' when you get a reputation for things.

Consequently, we won't get 50/50 calls.

Human nature.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
iirc wasn’t there some complaints from some coaches (ahem Fischer) over the techniques used by the Hawks?
Anybody remember this?

253hawk

Reaction score
We have 220 more yards in penalties than we do rushing yards by the RBs. I don't think that's ever been done in the history of pro football.

drrew

Reaction score
The "holding" call on Sheldon Richardson was one of the more egregious BS calls I've seen.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
It is my understanding because we play so aggressively (which is PC's style) that other coaches get in the refs ears and whine about it continuously. Hence, they are more alert to our play. IMO

The Breh

Reaction score
Yeah I heard defensive holding then heard #91, and just wtf'd to myself.
I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Seymour

Reaction score
We lead the league in penalties (and are on record pace), and have been top 5 for Pete's years here.

It's called guilt by association. They are watching us closely, and that takes attention away from the other team. Double edge sword.

Only difference this year is we don't have the strength to overcome this now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3774hkc4 said:
You lose the 'benefit of the doubt' when you get a reputation for things.

Consequently, we won't get 50/50 calls.

Human nature.

This.

I had this argument with my buddy that kept crying about the officials. When you're a sloppy undisciplined team that keeps getting called for 15+ penalties a game? You're not getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls, that's the league's way of telling you and your coaches to figure it out.

But Pete and the rest of our coaches obviously don't care, or don't know how to fix it. Because penalties have been a systemic problem from day one of the Carroll era.

Sorry, but this ain't on the league or refs, it's on Pete and his staff.

cymatica

Reaction score
Another question: What will it take for opponents oline to get a holding call?

If the practice time doesn't ruin the game first the officiating will.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I completely agree its on Pete and the staff. I hate the way the NFL treats penalties in general. Throwing a flag that has no bearing on the play 40 yards away from the ball is stupid for the product in general. I get the idea that if you don't like it don't do it but its a better product if the NFL coaches up the refs to stay out of the game unless you need to be in the game. The hold on Richardson on a run play is literally never called yet it was in a crucial moment of the game. That's a ref inserting himself into the game when he doesn't belong. But big picture, its on Pete and its beyond ridiculous at this point.

Seymour

Reaction score
5 straight games with over 100 yards in penalties.

On record pace for most penalties in SB era NFL history.

Germain Ifedi leads the entire NFL in penalties, yet still starts.

That is not winning forever Pete. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":1hc7hyid said:
I completely agree its on Pete and the staff. I hate the way the NFL treats penalties in general. Throwing a flag that has no bearing on the play 40 yards away from the ball is stupid for the product in general. I get the idea that if you don't like it don't do it but its a better product if the NFL coaches up the refs to stay out of the game unless you need to be in the game. The hold on Richardson on a run play is literally never called yet it was in a crucial moment of the game. That's a ref inserting himself into the game when he doesn't belong. But big picture, its on Pete and its beyond ridiculous at this point.

How bout instructing your players to not hold when they know the play is 40 yards away from the called play direction?

Half these penalties are just blatant bonehead lack of discipline that should have been coached out of these guys in training camp. Absolutely ridiculous to keep seeing the same crap week after week.............that ain't the league my friend, that's a coach that's lost the attention of his players.

Belichick says it once, and if you don't correct your issues, you're gone or benched. It's that simple.

Nope, not Pete, he just keeps making excuses for his players and says it'll get fixed. After 10 weeks of "it'll get fixed" and it's not fixed? It's not them, it's you.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I suspect after we go 8-8 this year, things will return to normal in 2018.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cymatica":22c5jfyw said:
Another question: What will it take for opponents oline to get a holding call?

If the practice time doesn't ruin the game first the officiating will.

This is the thing that drives me nuts. Call penalties on the Seahawks, fine, whatever, but call them on the other team too.

Atlanta’s last scoring drive yesterday they had that 3rd and long deep ball to Julio Jones. Freeney was held on that play as obvious a hold and you could imagine. Would have taken 7 points off the board from Atlanta.

RussB

Reaction score
I think ifedi needs to be benched , he is just not panning out at all. Might as well put joekel there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RussB":3g88tj5a said:
I think ifedi needs to be benched , he is just not panning out at all. Might as well put joekel there.

Joeckel isn't even healthy yet, let alone healthy enough to play tackle............a position he was terrible at in the first place when he was healthy.

That's the problem, there is no one else.