Positive: Screen passes called in loss

springscohawk

Reaction score
One of the things I felt good about during the loss against Falcons was frequent use of screen or short pass that mitigated some of the pass rush of falcons and got consistently good yardage.

Bevell deserves some recognition for these plays. Why haven't they been used in previous games, thought?

homerun1970

Reaction score
My thoughts is why has it taken Most of a season. He should have recognized that our line was poor and tried to slow the pass rush with simple short passes many games ago. Russ has been instead pummeled by using long slow developing plays. I do hope we stick with the plays he called last night because Ifiedi doesnt seem to be improving.

cymatica

Reaction score
Too little too late. Already lost a couple games because Bevell refused to call plays to slow the rush. Only after several weeks of the oline being laughed at did we FINALLY see the playcalls designed to help them.

The fact that it took this long(years) to implement screen passes tells me this organization has gone so far against the grain they lost some semblance of "football common sense".

Seymour

Reaction score
Just another reason to beat my head against the wall. Pass rush 101--throw the RB screen. We fail year after year to use this.
Now we figure this out? Well, I did see him call it a second time after it worked. That is serious progress. :pukeface:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I was happy to see it and it was successful, but week 11? Really?

hangumhi

Reaction score
Yes it was good to see a well designed screen. Unfortunately Bevell still sucks. A. Why didn't we see more as the game progressed? B. Why didn't mcissick get those two screens (wrong personnel). C. Why has it taken bevell so many years to draft what people, including myself, have been screaming for the entire time?

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
hangumhi":2szyqk8b said:
Yes it was good to see a well designed screen. Unfortunately Bevell still sucks. A. Why didn't we see more as the game progressed? B. Why didn't mcissick get those two screens (wrong personnel). C. Why has it taken bevell so many years to draft what people, including myself, have been screaming for the entire time?
It's much less obvious of a play on 3rd and 2 to call a long pass play where the blocks have to sustain a 5 second hold before the ball is released. If he'd run that super bowl goal line play at the 34 yard line on 3rd and 1, our first down conversion metric would be higher.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

rossob

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":387gqsmw said:
hangumhi":387gqsmw said:
It's much less obvious of a play on 3rd and 2 to call a long pass play where the blocks have to sustain a 5 second hold before the ball is released. If he'd run that super bowl goal line play at the 34 yard line on 3rd and 1, our first down conversion metric would be higher.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure about that. Didn't we call that play two times in the Redskins game and it resulted in one int and almost another one? Iirc it got intercepted when we did it at around the Redskins 35 yard line.

cymatica

Reaction score
RussB":gc710fgp said:
Didnt everyone on here hate the use of bubble screens?

I think everyone hated it being over used

Seymour

Reaction score
RussB":1kwdyq2g said:
Didnt everyone on here hate the use of bubble screens?

There are several different types of screens. Bevel likes "the Brian Walters bubble screen" in the past, out wide with stacked receivers. Rarely works as it is easy to see coming. The RB screen over the rushing linemen into the open flats is the one that kills the rush and can break for big yards. We have avoided that in the past till recently. Took nearly 3 years of bad oline play to come up with it from our OC.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I about soiled myself when I saw the screen pass. It was like seeing a UFO. :greetingsearthling: