Freeney waived.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/933098360281620480[/tweet]

A little surprising.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
That's disappointing. Freeney looked pretty good until the last game. Hopefully this is to make room for Shead or a new RB.

Gio

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1cjlqv7g said:
That's disappointing. Freeney looked pretty good until the last game. Hopefully this is to make room for Shead or a new RB.

We need a RB for sure.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I bet its because Freeney was freewheeling to much on his pass rushes instead of keeping contain on the edges like the defensive scheme calls for. He spinned inside, losing outside contain, which allowed Ryan to scramble for an easy first down. If theres one thing Pete does not tolerate in his players, its losing contain.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When you're only 50k under the cap and need to clear space for another RB and possibly O-lineman and/or DB, someone has to go.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":zdatsdv2 said:
I bet its because Freeney was freewheeling to much on his pass rushes instead of keeping contain on the edges like the defensive scheme calls for. He spinned inside, losing outside contain, which allowed Ryan to scramble for an easy first down. If theres one thing Pete does not tolerate in his players, its losing contain.

IIRC, Marsh was jettisoned for a similar reason.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
If it's for Shead or McDowell I can live with it. Would rather Shead than Lane.

If its because Cassius Marsh just got released from NE i'll be bummed.

RussB

Reaction score
Weird, thought he played pretty welll. Must be to make room for someone. Shead or mcdowell are probably on their way back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
iigakusei":1c8wgs39 said:
SpokaneHawks":1c8wgs39 said:
Maybe realized we are no longer a contender?
That was my guess - I bet he asked to be waived.

I don't think so, that's not in Freeny's character. He's about as stand up of a player as there is in the league........and we're 6-4, not 3-7. He wouldn't bail on a 6-4 team that's still in a playoff race.

potatohead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yfd39k2o said:
iigakusei":yfd39k2o said:
SpokaneHawks":yfd39k2o said:
Maybe realized we are no longer a contender?
That was my guess - I bet he asked to be waived.

I don't think so, that's not in Freeny's character. He's about as stand up of a player as there is in the league........and we're 6-4, not 3-7. He wouldn't bail on a 6-4 team that's still in a playoff race.

yeah I mean it's not like he's Martellus Bennett or anything

T-Hawk

Reaction score
His salary isn't guaranteed, so he's one of a few who we can cut to save money. I'm guessing they are impressed with Jordan which makes losing Freeney the easiest option.

Still sucks to lose him, he's played pretty well, he's got something like 3 sacks in 4 games. Plus Clark raves about him so I was hoping to see some more time for mentoring there.

Rat

Reaction score
That was one of the coolest stories on our team this year, sucks to see him dropped, especially since he was contributing.

I hope he gets picked up by a contender.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened at the same time Marsh was cut by the Patriots.

So if I had to guess, it's so we can sign Marsh, who is more versatile and knows our system vs a 3rd down DE.

adeltaY

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":1g0z3xc8 said:

According to Brock Huard, it was Bobby who was stunting and had outside contain on that pass rush and he got caught up inside, which gave Ryan a ton of room to run through.