Wilson's interception

WolfGrey

Reaction score
Forgive me if I've missed it, but has there been any word from Wilson or the Seahawks on what happened on the interception last night? I've never seen one quite like that. Like he was throwing to someone who was not there.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I thought it was the worst throw Wilson has ever made. He was trying to go to Lockett and it just sailed on him. But he rebounded amazingly, kind of like the NFCCG vs. Carolina game a couple seasons ago or the one against Green Bay.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I think the ball just slipped. To me it was obvious he was trying to hit Lockett on that crossing route.

OP
OP
W

WolfGrey

Reaction score
If that was a straight up miss, then it was probably the worst pass I have ever seen in my life. Maybe 10 yards, nowhere near the receiver.

I had hoped it was addressed by someone by now.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I have heard 2 things one it slipped that was from RW, Lockett said Rw thought he was going to sit down in the open area and he thought Rw wanted him to keep going across. Both are plausible, I lean towards slip.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
WolfGrey":20bbqkl3 said:
If that was a straight up miss, then it was probably the worst pass I have ever seen in my life. Maybe 10 yards, nowhere near the receiver.

You must never watch Brock Osweiler throw the ball then. To me it looked like a timing route and he missed on the timing.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I thought the INT he threw straight to the Redskins LB was the worst pass we've ever seen LOL. Every time he throws a bad pick it's his worst ever. Brady basically threw the exact same pick on TNF against the Bucs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":1zy1uveo said:
I thought the INT he threw straight to the Redskins LB was the worst pass we've ever seen LOL. Every time he throws a bad pick it's his worst ever. Brady basically threw the exact same pick on TNF against the Bucs.
Oh no, you must mean a QB named Ted Bradley, cuz Tom Brady is too fantastic to throw a pick like Wilson did. :lol:

adeltaY

Reaction score
I know, right? People act like those guys never make mistakes or overthrow/underthrow, which they do, then crucify Russ for doing it. I get that Rodger/Brady are more accurate than Russ, but it's not by a ridiculous margin or anything.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1p4lxzsk said:
adeltaY":1p4lxzsk said:
Oh no, you must mean a QB named Ted Bradley, cuz Tom Brady is too fantastic to throw a pick like Wilson did. :lol:

No he's must be talking about Ted Bundy. That guy threw some wild interceptions.

getnasty

Reaction score
Look like he was trying to throw it right to Trufant.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Pete said that the way that Lockette's defender played him, he (Lockette) was not at the right depth for the route. He was supposed to be multiple yards deeper which takes longer to develop and because he ran it too shallow, Russ throws it behind him and straight to Trufant. Failure on a timing route, plain and simple, which can happen easily in a traditional west coast offense. Lockette was open. Russ probably didn't realize until it was too late. Whether it's height related or just not enough reps is TBD.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wilson was still directly responsible for the loss of 7 points from the fumble, and indirectly as a result of that INT for 14.

As the INT was in the opponents end the question arises whether that INT resulted in a points swing of 14 points. a potential 21 point swing is worst case.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":3q4pbt2e said:
Look like he was trying to throw it right to Trufant.

Every time a throw looks like that, the play is usually a predetermined throw where that receiver IS the guy on the play and the QB has little intention of going anywhere else. It's a timing throw, it has to work, and trust has to be there because that ball is coming out. Lockett may have been a step shallow on his cut.

EDIT: According to what jdemps passed on, that's what happened.

FURTHER EDIT: That, by the way, is one of the dangers with hurry-up. Hurry-up contains a lot of those pre-decided throws, and if a WR makes a mistake, interceptions are likely. That's probably why Pete doesn't like hurry-up.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2u0d3o6x said:
Wilson was still directly responsible for the loss of 7 points from the fumble, and indirectly as a result of that INT for 14.

As the INT was in the opponents end the question arises whether that INT resulted in a points swing of 14 points. a potential 21 point swing is worst case.

So that fumble where Ifedi lets his man by unblocked and gets Wilson sandwiched between (2) 300 lb linemen is 100% on Wilson for giving up 7 points in your mind?

Not mine. I give that 70-80% Ifedi 20-30% Wilson since I could never expect a QB to hang onto the ball with a hit like that 10 out of 10 times and it was under 3 seconds.

ivotuk

Reaction score
jdemps":2k2yvofl said:
Pete said that the way that Lockette's defender played him, he (Lockette) was not at the right depth for the route.

He was supposed to be multiple yards deeper which takes longer to develop and because he ran it too shallow, Russ throws it behind him and straight to Trufant.

Failure on a timing route, plain and simple, which can happen easily in a traditional west coast offense. Lockette was open. Russ probably didn't realize until it was too late. Whether it's height related or just not enough reps is TBD.

I thought it was strange too, until I heard Pete. jdemps has it exactly right.

And Montana explains it further.

"Take your eye off the ball." Great advice to all football fans.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
WolfGrey":1k9l18ta said:

Not even close, it was a slant (which we know about SB49) Russell struggles with those types of throws plus he throws the ball 100+ mph, the combination of those two things can lead to something like that happening.

All that being said I'll allow it given his ability to avoid INT's for most of his career.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
jdemps":10759zbo said:
Pete said that the way that Lockette's defender played him, he (Lockette) was not at the right depth for the route. He was supposed to be multiple yards deeper which takes longer to develop and because he ran it too shallow, Russ throws it behind him and straight to Trufant. Failure on a timing route, plain and simple, which can happen easily in a traditional west coast offense. Lockette was open. Russ probably didn't realize until it was too late. Whether it's height related or just not enough reps is TBD.

Can we discuss the idea of missing throws to players even when they run poor routes? Is there an assumption that a player is going to be in a certain spot so you throw to that area regardless of where he actually is? Seems counter productive, just a thought I had while sitting here.

Kinda like the SB49, an assumption play of where the WR is supposed to be. IDK if I like it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3kwi3m9d said:
jdemps":3kwi3m9d said:

Can we discuss the idea of missing throws to players even when they run poor routes? Is there an assumption that a player is going to be in a certain spot so you throw to that area regardless of where he actually is? Seems counter productive, just a thought I had while sitting here.

Kinda like the SB49, an assumption play of where the WR is supposed to be. IDK if I like it.

Timing throws like that are used by every team. It's just a thing in this sport. Wilson isn't the first elite QB to throw it right to a defender because someone ran the wrong route. I've seen Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton each do it every once in a while.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
jdemps":2dbkrat9 said:
It's because it was LockettE....That's why. :lol:

Latest posts