IR Quantification

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Probably going to get killed for this silly question - but is there any way to quantify not only the number of lost snaps by team, but also the magnitude (qualitative) of the contributions to the team of injuries?

It seems like Seattle's injury situation is worse this year than at any time I can remember in the last decade. Sherman and Chancellor aside, I'm thinking of Carson, Fant, even ST players that had opportunities this year to contribute and didn't. I'd be interested in looking at all teams across the NFL and ranking how Seattle fits in on the injury standpoint.

It's unreal. If healthy, I really do believe this is the finest group of talent in the NFL. To have been decimated like this is really sad and is currently bumming me out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Absolutely crazy how many good to great players we've lost.

Chris Carson, imho, was the biggest. He made great yardage no matter what the blocking was. This would have been a whole different year if he were healthy.

Then we lose RB, after RB, after OLine, after RB. IT's ridiculous! :pukeface:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":35omjilc said:
but is there any way to quantify not only the number of lost snaps by team, but also the magnitude (qualitative) of the contributions to the team of injuries?

PFF does # of lost snaps, but yeah, the qualitative magnitude probably has to remain subjective.

I guess you could spoof it a little bit by using DVOA (as DVOA is designed to measure quality across positions), but even that doesn't get all the way to what you want, as it can't weight importance across positions.

Example:

Kam Chancellor is one of the best, if not the very best, at his position in the NFL, and as a result has a very high DVOA.

In turn, Aaron Rodgers is one of the best, if not the very best, at his position in the NFL, and as a result has a very high DVOA.

Yet nobody in their right mind would argue that the loss of Kam Chancellor to the Seahawks is anywhere close to the loss of Aaron Rodgers to the Packers.

That's the problem and why it has to stay subjective. :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2cx2s19f said:
CHawkTailGator":2cx2s19f said:
but is there any way to quantify not only the number of lost snaps by team, but also the magnitude (qualitative) of the contributions to the team of injuries?

PFF does # of lost snaps, but yeah, the qualitative magnitude probably has to remain subjective.

I guess you could spoof it a little bit by using DVOA (as DVOA is designed to measure quality across positions), but even that doesn't get all the way to what you want, as it can't weight importance across positions.

Example:

Kam Chancellor is one of the best, if not the very best, at his position in the NFL, and as a result has a very high DVOA.

In turn, Aaron Rodgers is one of the best, if not the very best, at his position in the NFL, and as a result has a very high DVOA.

Yet nobody in their right mind would argue that the loss of Kam Chancellor to the Seahawks is anywhere close to the loss of Aaron Rodgers to the Packers.

That's the problem and why it has to stay subjective. :2thumbs:

Vernon Davis disagrees.