DL is playing well today

olyfan63

Reaction score
Honestly, it seemed we were just a split second late with QB pressure more of the time than we should be, but then we did get sacks and hurries and I just have to give credit to CJ for having that clock in the back of his head and getting some of those passes off.

I've felt our DL has played very well ever since Sheldon Richardson came over. Do we miss Avril, sure.
We have a good solid DL rotation, maybe the best since the 2013 SB year. I've been super pleased with guys stepping up like Naz Jones, QJeff (upon returning), Dion Jordan, Frank Clark, and others. Jarran Reed has been having a very good year but at last check was dinged up. Bennett has simply been *amazing* this season, playing through injuries and making key plays, like near the end of the Texans game to get us another possession that led to the game-winning drive. The biggest positive factor has been the interior line on occasion getting pressure up the middle. It seems it's been so long since that happened...

I'm glad they let Mr. Spin Move go, and I agree with Pete's assessment that our young depth is a better bet than Mr. Rent-a-sack, rentals by the week, but he wasn't even doing what he was rented for, against the tough opponents. Thanks for the couple-three sacks, Mr. Freeney, and best wishes in your next landing spot.

Yes, lately we are a split second late getting to the QB, but then the DL also came up with that clutch sack vs. Matt Ryan to get us a chance to win. Yes, the Redskins game was a FAIL, needed just one more pressure/sack a split second earlier, and that game has a different outcome.

We've also played solid against the run all year, with the exception of the Tennessee game. Stuffed the Rams star RB so badly his name escapes me. Oh yeah, Gurley. Made him look like a girlie even though he's a beast for sure.

I truly don't understand the relative lack of love for our DL this year.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Quality of competition.

They've been underwhelming for much of the year. True test on Sunday night. Hope they can get it done.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They were pressuring all day. Of course, I knew people would be quick to just say it's only the Niners etc.

Seymour

Reaction score
Agree. Dline is key with wounded LOB. We needed that same effort against the Falcons and we win that game.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
We had guys who were injured earlier this season come in and play well. Jefferson and Smith had some good contributions.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seymour":2k2urjj2 said:
Agree. Dline is key with wounded LOB. We needed that same effort against the Falcons and we win that game.

I say we had all the quality of effort we needed from the D-Line to win the Falcons game. The D-Line just needed Russell and the offense to not give up two quick turnover TDs to start the game. The D, and in particular, the D-Line, got the ball back at the end, stopping 3 Falcons running plays, and supplied the offense with one last decent shot to tie or win. That loss was 99% on the offense.

Seafan

Reaction score
I wonder if another team was trying to sign Coe. It seems a likely reason to move on from Garrison Smith who has played well. Smith may not be 100% right now but since his contract is not guaranteed it won't hurt the cap to protect Coe.

luigi_sal

Reaction score
The only factor we need is to watch D-Line fully healthy, leaving Avril's case apart:

Bennett (Quentin Jefferson)- Sheldon Richardson (Marcus Smith II)- Jarran Reed (Nazair Jones) - Clark (Dion Jordan)

And Rodney Coe behind them. So, pretty good depth. Very important that outside DE put pressure on QB, because interior of our DL could be considered as one of the best overall.

Latest posts