Rawls?

zchurch74

Reaction score
I was not able to watch the game today and have been away from boards most of weekend

Where the hell is Rawls and what’s his status?

Exittium

Reaction score
Think he was in for one “blocking” play.

HoldYourHawk

Reaction score
Read an article the other day where Cable had stated that Rawls needs to "stop trying so hard" when running and to just "take whats in front of him." Rawls has been seen in practice trying to make the splash plays too often as opposed to the grind it out 4-5 yard chip plays open to him.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
HoldYourHawk":2mm47u0o said:
Read an article the other day where Cable had stated that Rawls needs to "stop trying so hard" when running and to just "take whats in front of him." Rawls has been seen in practice trying to make the splash plays too often as opposed to the grind it out 4-5 yard chip plays open to him.

Sounds accurate. If only Tom could have such clarity in scouting lineman.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yup. On several plays it's been obvious all he needed was to follow his blocking but instead he freelanced, 1-on-3. Doesn't work in hoops and it works even less in the NFL.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HoldYourHawk":23hzbmhe said:

Yeah, he should quit trying hard like Lacy.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
One season of glory and now it appears he's done.

So goes life in the NFL...

Seymour

Reaction score
HoldYourHawk":1hv3rig5 said:

Not surprising. Cable's moto is don't try too hard. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":txqxqp97 said:
HoldYourHawk":txqxqp97 said:

Cable's right, Rawl's is a spaz and runs himself right into blocks, overruns lanes and drops balls cause he's trying to gain 100 yards and score 3 TD's on EVERY play.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33fxthya said:
Seymour":33fxthya said:
HoldYourHawk":33fxthya said:

Cable's right, Rawl's is a spaz and runs himself right into blocks, overruns lanes and drops balls cause he's trying to gain 100 yards and score 3 TD's on EVERY play.

And I agree. I just dislike someone saying "too much effort is a problem" when his position group is a perennial boat anchor for the team.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
And this is an example of another stupid personnel decision by Pete and I suspect with a lot of Cable's influence. From the beginning I thought they should have kept Alex Collins and let Rawls go. Even if they thought Rawls had more upside.....he sure wasn't as durable as Collins. All those wasted draft picks two years ago on running backs, and look what we end up with! And isn't Cable's other title besides line coach...that of Run Game Coordinator???? If Cable isn't gone next year.......then Pete needs to go too.

Husky Seahawk

Reaction score
HoldYourHawk":1al1lken said:

But this still doesn't help me understand why Rawls is not playing. None of our active RBs are able to grind out 4-5 yard plays open to them. Lacy is too slow, and Mckissic is too small. If the choices are a terrible YPC with no potential for splash plays (Lacy), or a terrible YPC with some potential for splash plays (Rawls), then I would prefer the latter.

Once he is healthy, I say give Mike Davis the bulk of the carries.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":3buvrdsk said:
And this is an example of another stupid personnel decision by Pete and I suspect with a lot of Cable's influence. From the beginning I thought they should have kept Alex Collins and let Rawls go. Even if they thought Rawls had more upside.....he sure wasn't as durable as Collins. All those wasted draft picks two years ago on running backs, and look what we end up with! And isn't Cable's other title besides line coach...that of Run Game Coordinator???? If Cable isn't gone next year.......then Pete needs to go too.

It's funny how the Collins supporters come out of the woodwork now. Couldn't imagine a more vilified RB in preseason. Now he's the "one that got away". Which just goes to show you, fans shouldn't be running personnel decisions. We gloat when we get a move right and slink away, saying nothing, when we were totally off base.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3fxuldn7 said:
vigilantgrrl":3fxuldn7 said:

It's funny how the Collins supporters come out of the woodwork now. Couldn't imagine a more vilified RB in preseason. Now he's the "one that got away". Which just goes to show you, fans shouldn't be running personnel decisions. We gloat when we get a move right and slink away, saying nothing, when we were totally off base.

Collins is worse than Rawls, Lacy et al. Just goes to show how bad the oline is. Rawls and Lacy would look pretty dang good in Baltimore too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maybe he needs something to settle him down and help him focus. Ritalin, or whatever they accused Sherman of?

I still believe he's a damn good running back, but it's painfully obvious that he's struggling to focus and follow directions, or his blockers. Rawls is a wound up dude, it's what made him so good before. And I'm sure that if he were to get a real chance, some real playing time, that he would excel again.

I've heard a couple of people mention "Cable runs the outside zone," and I wonder if maybe he should adapt to more of a straight up blocking scheme?

Remember it even took Marshawn a while to adjust to Cable's style.

Others have mentioned that players like Lacy and AC "looked hesitant line of scrimage, which tells me that they're thinking too much .

And I've heard, (usually on 710), that the blocking scheme is complicated.

It all seems to come down to this blocking and running style is way too complicated for running backs unfamiliar with it, and especially for running backs who never get a chance to adjust. I've never seen a team that rotates multiple backs in and out have success running the ball.