Reasons for Optimism in the O-line.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
As much fun as all these doom and gloom threads are :sarcasm_off: , I think we need to look at some reasons for optimism. First, as with all other seasons, the line is making progress throughout the year.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/935581057365110784[/tweet]

Including a 90.4 pass blocking efficiency grade against the Niners (Per PFF), a line that sacked Carson Wentz 4 times in Philly.

Now, sure, the run game wasn't near the level we're accustomed to seeing, but it looked fine when McKissic was running behind it. Seems to me like more of an Eddie Lacy problem. Pete, you tried. It's not working. Mike Davis should be healthy. Time to #FreeMikeDavis. Or get Rawls out of the doghouse. #UnleashRawls

HOWEVER, the biggest point and reason for optimism, is that the San Francisco game was the first time that the line combo Brown, Joeck, Britt, Pocic, Ifedi had taken a single snap together (Per Pete on Brock & Salk Monday). Brown didn't take a single snap of practice last week. Pocic hasn't played hardly any RG since camp (where he was primarily competing at RT, taking snaps as the backup center, then was moved to LG). These guys have almost no experience as a group and yet, there were holes to run through and very few free rushers. The longer we can keep them together, the better they'll be. Let's not forget that practice reps are also important in the run game too. RBs have to learn to read blockers and how they hold blocks while the lineman need to get the feel of their runners. Everything takes time and every rep counts.

The next few weeks will be a gauntlet, but if the line can stay together and healthy (and/or get healthier Brown/Joeck), I honestly believe you can bank on improvement down the stretch. I, for one, will remain optimistic about the run that will begin with the victory over the Eagle Sunday night.
:irishdrinkers:

Seymour

Reaction score
The pass blocking has improved some, but no mention (in tweet) that we now have the opposite problem of most Cable years? Awful run blocking.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The key to being a good Offensive Lineman is the ability to quickly move one's feet. What we fans are used to seeing this year is the Defensive players moving past our lineman who appear to have their feet frozen to the turf. What will be interesting to watch this Sunday Night is how our OL performs. If Russ gets sacked three or more times then we'll know the answer.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
PFF missed at least three pressures that happened in that game (you can see one for yourself in the Baldinger thread), and I sincerely hope they're smart enough not to use "sacks allowed" as an element in their metric. The refs also refused to call holds on either team that game, which I appreciate somewhat, but also tends to hide a lot of badness.

Our pass blocking has improved, but the increase isn't as sharp as suggested, and it's no credit to Hawkblogger that he RT's something like that after the entire West Coast watched Wilson having to escape at least three almost-sacks.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can we sign Christine Michael off his couch and release Rawl and Lacy?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2f0hankj said:
Can we sign Christine Michael off his couch and release Rawl and Lacy?

Did he get an injury settlement? Colts put him on IR before the season.

cymatica

Reaction score
So one of the worst olines in years benches Glowinski , adds a premier left tackle , and then get's better.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have had problems with the OLine for years.

The guys making the decisions regarding the line are still here.

So I would say there is very little reason for optimism.

But hey, blind hope doesn't hurt anything. Sure, why not? Go ahead and hope, just don't expect much or count on it.

Years of disappointments pretty much point to a different outcome.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":27j18e19 said:
The pass blocking has improved some, but no mention (in tweet) that we now have the opposite problem of most Cable years? Awful run blocking.

and lets remember how much does Rw and his magic help those grades, and lets remember who we played. Any thinking they will get that kind of grade after the Philly game is nuts

Anthony!

Reaction score
jdemps":3bsmnwiu said:
As much fun as all these doom and gloom threads are :sarcasm_off: , I think we need to look at some reasons for optimism. First, as with all other seasons, the line is making progress throughout the year.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/935581057365110784[/tweet]

Including a 90.4 pass blocking efficiency grade against the Niners (Per PFF), a line that sacked Carson Wentz 4 times in Philly.

Now, sure, the run game wasn't near the level we're accustomed to seeing, but it looked fine when McKissic was running behind it. Seems to me like more of an Eddie Lacy problem. Pete, you tried. It's not working. Mike Davis should be healthy. Time to #FreeMikeDavis. Or get Rawls out of the doghouse. #UnleashRawls

HOWEVER, the biggest point and reason for optimism, is that the San Francisco game was the first time that the line combo Brown, Joeck, Britt, Pocic, Ifedi had taken a single snap together (Per Pete on Brock & Salk Monday). Brown didn't take a single snap of practice last week. Pocic hasn't played hardly any RG since camp (where he was primarily competing at RT, taking snaps as the backup center, then was moved to LG). These guys have almost no experience as a group and yet, there were holes to run through and very few free rushers. The longer we can keep them together, the better they'll be. Let's not forget that practice reps are also important in the run game too. RBs have to learn to read blockers and how they hold blocks while the lineman need to get the feel of their runners. Everything takes time and every rep counts.

The next few weeks will be a gauntlet, but if the line can stay together and healthy (and/or get healthier Brown/Joeck), I honestly believe you can bank on improvement down the stretch. I, for one, will remain optimistic about the run that will begin with the victory over the Eagle Sunday night.
:irishdrinkers:

now lets look at who we played

week one GB (okay defense) Ranked 23rd
week 4 INdy are you kidding me ranked 29
week 8 Houston okay maybe but no JJ, and other so yea no ranked 18th
last week SF yeah right ranked 28th

so basically we looked get against some of the worst defenses in the league wow

now show me their ranked against a good defense like, jacksonville, carolina, Denver, Pitt, MInny Philly then we can talk

semiahmoo

Reaction score
O-Line sucks. No amount of stats are going to tell me otherwise.

THEY SUCK

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think there's really any question that the line is in a better state now than it was before Brown got here.

Does it still have work to do? Sure. But it's pretty patently obvious that it's not in the "Are we the 32nd best line in the league or the 30th" discussion.

Opponents aside, this line as constituted is ok to even good. It'll have failures in the weeks ahead. Just look at how Philly destroyed Dallas' OL. But instead of having dark ominous clouds at 4 positions, it's looking pretty good for four positions. And Ifedi isn't a dumpster fire at RT either.

For the first time in quite a while, it looks like there are 5 guys on the line that we could just stick with and allow to grow together.

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1rwy3s5l said:
Getting better at pass blocking, but run blocking......holy hell

I'm not entirely sold on the fact that the run blocking isn't better than we give it credit for. My eyes saw holes that RBs could run through, but Eddie Lacy takes so long to get there, it closes up and he just falls over.

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":32vcp1xz said:
I don't think there's really any question that the line is in a better state now than it was before Brown got here.

Does it still have work to do? Sure. But it's pretty patently obvious that it's not in the "Are we the 32nd best line in the league or the 30th" discussion.

Opponents aside, this line as constituted is ok to even good. It'll have failures in the weeks ahead. Just look at how Philly destroyed Dallas' OL. But instead of having dark ominous clouds at 4 positions, it's looking pretty good for four positions. And Ifedi isn't a dumpster fire at RT either.

For the first time in quite a while, it looks like there are 5 guys on the line that we could just stick with and allow to grow together.

Philly played Dallas without Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliot but I get your point. This weekend is going to be tough sledding, especially in the run game. Fletcher Cox is a beast and our interior OL isn't really known for being people movers. However, he's not known for being an all world pass rusher and interior pressure is what usually gives us fits.

Come on people!

Do I think that this line will be top 10 in the league before the end of the season? No. Do I think we can hit league average? Absolutely! Seriously, no line ever has 5 all pros. Even Dallas last year. If we can have 3-4 really good to great players then we can chip to compensate for the one bum *cough* Ifedi *cough*.

Still.... reasons for optimism.

Also, Seahawks +210 straight up. At home. I'm all about that action, boss.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":2bgn28o5 said:
SoulfishHawk":2bgn28o5 said:

I'm not entirely sold on the fact that the run blocking isn't better than we give it credit for.
My eyes saw holes that RBs could run through, but Eddie Lacy takes so long to get there, it closes up and he just falls over.

Let me help.

This guy was our worst back this year (according to our staff) early in the year and was let go. He now averages 4.9 YPC and is the #13 rusher in the NFL.

That points squarely at the oline being the main problem.

Attachments

• Collins.jpg
    Collins.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,304

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Collins did absolutely nothing here, and had fumble issues (which he still has out there). Sometimes a change of scenery is all a player needs.

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
Seymour":3c2v3f55 said:
jdemps":3c2v3f55 said:
SoulfishHawk":3c2v3f55 said:

I'm not entirely sold on the fact that the run blocking isn't better than we give it credit for.
My eyes saw holes that RBs could run through, but Eddie Lacy takes so long to get there, it closes up and he just falls over.

Let me help.

This guy was our worst back this year (according to our staff) early in the year and was let go. He now averages 4.9 YPC and is the #13 rusher in the NFL.

That points squarely at the oline being the main problem.

Alex Collins didn't really get a fair shot this year because we had so many guys and the team obviously didn't want to give up on its big investment (Lacy), the glass man (Prosise), or Thomas Rawls (who's can't read his blocking, just broken). AC had the third most rushing yards for the team this preseason behind Mike Davis and Chris Carson in 3 preseason games. They cut both Mike Davis and AC. Hindsight is 20/20.