Is Russell Wilson the most "talented" QB in the league?

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
By "talented", I mean does he possess the most varied talents of any elite QB? From his elusiveness to his speed all the way to his tackling.

I'm not the biggest Russell supporter (mainly cus I believe they wanted to make Russ the star over Beast in SB49 and have held a grudge since) but I can't think of a single QB who is a better athlete.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The net potential of Wilson is higher than any QB ever to play the game. I firmly believe that.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Most athletic, quite possibly.

Most talented overall from the position of QB - no.

That said, his potential remains considerable but he needs a stronger supporting cast including different coaching scheme should he have a real chance to meet that potential.

Granted, he already has a SB ring but he was a part of that team, not the franchise guy. Now he's being paid a franchise salary but has not yet ascended to that kind of elite level - though this season despite a continued crap O-Line he has made strides to get there.

The next few seasons will likely determine how he's remembered longer term. Hope it moves him into the upper echelon of HoF QB's.

byau

Reaction score
Part of something else I just posted because I want to say it again:

This just came to me recently with the Cowboys starting to fall.

Not long ago people calling Dak an MVP caliber QB, and I actually believed it. But let's look at something: he lost one of his three pro-bowl/all-pro lineman and a pro-bowl/all-pro running back and what happens? He isn't so MVP anymore

Russell has had no front line recently. Sure last year he had one all-pro/pro-bowl in Justin Britt, he also played injured all year. AND NO RUNNING GAME. This year they've added a second all-pro/pro-bowl at LT. AND STILL NO RUNNING GAME> And he's putting up MVP Numbers.

Oh yeah, 113 out of 115 games, one score or less. And Russell who leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks.

So I guess it depends on your criteria for what "talent" means. All the above lends to a pretty good vote for "talented" QB.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Rodgers is more talented over all, but I love Russ.

byau

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3mo7hak8 said:

Re-thinking ... yeah, I do think if anyone puts up MVP numbers with very little. besides Russ, Aaron and Tom would also be able to put up those MVP numbers, and Aaron much as I hate to say it I think you're right would put up better numbers given the same players at all positions.

Not sure I'd say it about any other QB besides Aaron or Tom

ludakrishna

Reaction score
DeShawn Watson was being pressured at a higher rate and putting up better numbers throwing and rushing prior to getting hurt. He's going to be very very good because he can see easily over the middle and won't have to drop back as deep.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
ludakrishna":17xb0bh2 said:
DeShawn Watson was being pressured at a higher rate and putting up better numbers throwing and rushing prior to getting hurt. He's going to be very very good because he can see easily over the middle and won't have to drop back as deep.
But will he be the same player after this last leg injury? Imo, Wentz also has similar attributes as Wilson: escapability, arm talent, playmaker mentality and toughness.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Most Talented Qbs:

1) Aaron Rodgers(greatest arm talent and thrower of the football I've ever seen)
2) Russell Wilson(greatest instincts I've ever seen. Best overall combination of athletic, arm, and accuracy I've seen. Does all at least at a B+ level. A- overall)
3) Deshaun Watson (great glimpse and combination of arm, accuracy, and athleticism. Biggest threat to Russ)

As for Tom Brady, I see him as the most intelligent, disciplined Qb in the league. Overall, my Qb rankings are:

1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Tom Brady
3) Russell Wilson

mikeak

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1zkdxug9 said:

Look I "loved" Watson coming out of college. I said in the draft forum that Texans was one of theee teams that improved he most solely based on drafting a great QB

With that said I can't stand judging a QB because of his rookie season. Even less so because of half a season. Let's see if it is sustainable, let's see how defensive coordinators start accounting for him and then determine what he is. Does it look like a more like a great player vs a bust - Yes but so did RGIII and Geoff was the opposite last year.

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":2n5ipiwf said:
ludakrishna":2n5ipiwf said:

Look I "loved" Watson coming out of college. I said in the draft forum that Texans was one of theee teams that improved he most solely based on drafting a great QB

With that said I can't stand judging a QB because of his rookie season. Even less so because of half a season. Let's see if it is sustainable, let's see how defensive coordinators start accounting for him and then determine what he is. Does it look like a more like a great player vs a bust - Yes but so did RGIII and Geoff was the opposite last year.

Agree. Judging on 1 rookie season is ill advisable. Many QB's have had great rookie seasons and went on to fail shortly after than. We had one here even in Rick Mirer. He won offensive rookie of the year then his stats dropped nearly every year after that.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Newton and Wentz all physically stand out in a league full of physical marvels. That’s not bad company either considering Cam and Rodgers are MVPS, and Wentz may be as well.

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the few who believe Aaron is overrated AND Russ is underrated.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Russ has moments of brilliance and moments of brain explosion. He needs more consistency to be considered best in the league. Guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees get it done week after week.

And for the record, 4th-quarter comebacks is a but of a rubbish stat. Why credit a guy for not getting his stuff together until the 4th quarter? Over the past 5 years we have had the best defense in the league. With any kind of offense whatsoever, we should be comfortably ahead in the 4th and never need heroic comebacks. The fact that we've had so many 4th-quarter comebacks is a condemnation of our offense, not a commendation of our QB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3u1rr046 said:
Most athletic, quite possibly.

Most talented overall from the position of QB - no.

That said, his potential remains considerable but he needs a stronger supporting cast including different coaching scheme should he have a real chance to meet that potential.

Granted, he already has a SB ring but he was a part of that team, not the franchise guy. Now he's being paid a franchise salary but has not yet ascended to that kind of elite level - though this season despite a continued crap O-Line he has made strides to get there.

The next few seasons will likely determine how he's remembered longer term. Hope it moves him into the upper echelon of HoF QB's.
BS, Without Lynch, Without an even bottom tier Offensive Line, he is still lighting up the competition with RECORD SETTING STATS, not only for the Seahawks, but for the ENTIRE NFL in the Super Bowl Era.
MOST WINS for a QB in his first six Seasons PLUS, he still has FIVE more games that he can ADD to that record.
Fastest to accumulate in the Super Bowl era 150 THROWN Touchdowns, and RUSH for an ADDITIONAL 3000 Yards.
Without having a PREMIERE Running Back at his side, and with a DUMPSTER FIRE O-Line in front of him, and you are still DOWPLAYING his TALENTS ?????? Shame on you Semiahmoo :pukeface:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
byau":274qks2z said:
pittpnthrs":274qks2z said:

Re-thinking ... yeah, I do think if anyone puts up MVP numbers with very little. besides Russ, Aaron and Tom would also be able to put up those MVP numbers, and Aaron much as I hate to say it I think you're right would put up better numbers given the same players at all positions.

Not sure I'd say it about any other QB besides Aaron or Tom
Not true...Those other Two have had future HOF Receivers & Coaching to help them pad their stats ...IF they could have outshone RW in THEIR first six Seasons..They absolutely WOULD HAVE DONE IT.

Anthony!

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":272zbqn5 said:
Russ has moments of brilliance and moments of brain explosion. He needs more consistency to be considered best in the league. Guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees get it done week after week.

And for the record, 4th-quarter comebacks is a but of a rubbish stat. Why credit a guy for not getting his stuff together until the 4th quarter? Over the past 5 years we have had the best defense in the league. With any kind of offense whatsoever, we should be comfortably ahead in the 4th and never need heroic comebacks. The fact that we've had so many 4th-quarter comebacks is a condemnation of our offense, not a commendation of our QB.

LOL it's of course, I mean those other guys never of moments of brain explosion as you call it, oh wait they do. as to your obviously slanted and totally wrong slant of the 4th qtr thing well once again wrong, Great we have had one of the best defenses in the league of the last 5 years still need your QB to get it done to win. The fact that despite the condemnation of our offense our Qb still gets us the win in the 4th qtr is the point.

rossob

Reaction score
I think Russell is the most complete QB but one could argue that multiple of the things he's good at are not that important for a QB and that Brady is still better.
Wilson is good to really good at passing, he is arguably the best at evading pressure and throwing on the run, he is one of the best running QBs (imo second only to Newton), the best at tackling or slowing down someone who just picked him, and last but not least, he is imo the most determined QB in the league which is shown by him never giving up and playing through injuries like they are nothing.

So while Brady and Rodgers might still be the better QBs there is definitely no one I would rather have as our QB! :irishdrinkers:

WarHawks

Reaction score
I think tonight's game, and the rest of this season in general, will go a long way towards determing that. Will he be able to rise above adversity and carry this team like the truly great ones do? If not, he's still a very good qb, but perhaps not transcendent. We'll see.