Still Love The Seahawks

byau

Reaction score
Sure I have a bad feeling about the Eagles game. I had a bad feeling about the Falcons game too and we almost got that one.

And yet I can't help but love the Seahawks and feel we're still in a position to get far in the playoffs every year. Always a contender.

This is part of another post I wrote and just want to write it again:

DEFENSE:
Shoot, a lot of teams would love to have this defense, even where we are at right now with the injuries:

Secondary:
ET, all-pro
Bradley McDougal is at least can hold his own
Shaq Griffin is composed rookie
B-Maxwell has picked up quickly and should only get better
Justin Coleman: we're all pleased with him
Jeremy Lane: well, he has his good and bad games. No penalties last game which is good

Middle:
Bobby and KJ: all-pro, pro-bowl caliber that also have amazing chemistry

D-line:
Michael, Sheldon, Jarron, Frank Clark, plus a host of others doing well (too bad Dion is injured still)

Not to mention the mentoring of Kam, Sherm, and Cliff.

Not 2013 SB defense, but how often you going to find 3 all-pro/pro-bowls in the secondary PLUS all the above which is what 2013 was.

But still, I'd take the above over a lot of defenses. Maybe not top 3 defense anymore or maybe not top 5, definitely close to it and definitely top 10.

OFFENSE:
Russell Wilson. Don't need to say much more.

I mean people calling Dak an MVP caliber QB, and I actually believed it. But let's look at something: he lost one of his three pro-bowl/all-pro lineman and a pro-bowl/all-pro running back and what happens? He isn't so MVP anymore

Russell has a front line with one all-pro/pro-bowl (Justin Britt), and just recently two. NO RUNNING GAME not even close to average. And he's putting up MVP Numbers

The only comp I can think of is Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady who can do MVP numbers with such little around them. Can't say Big Ben because look at his all pro running back and receivers. Can't say that about Matt Ryan because he's got two amazing #1 and #2 receivers too.

And while our receiving corps isn't all-pro/pro-bowl like Pitt and Atlanta, it is pretty darn good.

I think a lot of teams would like to have this roster. It's definitely top 10 roster, close to top 5 all around.

Oh yeah, 113 out of 115 games, one score or less. That's a pretty good team. And a pretty good offense and QB that can close with Russell whom I think leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks.

Yes, hard to still get over the injuries, and the potential of what we could be with a few more pieces, with the woeful running game and O-line, but I still think this team is pretty dang exciting and has exciting games.

Yup I still have a bad feeling about the Eagles game, and the Jaguars, and the Rams again. I won't be surprised at the same time if they manage to run the table because they're just that good too.

Woot :) Happy Blue Friday

GO HAWKS

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A lot of people were dissing our post-Sherman 3rd down defense when the Falcons tore it up.

I imagine they were probably following the game on NFL.com rather than actually watching it, because several of those plays (not all) were impossible to defend. Just Matt Ryan placing the ball with pristine perfection and Jones and Sanu making highlight reel catches. That perspective ought to give our 3rd down defense a little slack, IMO.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I don't get the whole "if you criticize the team your not a fan." logic. I love the Seahawks and you .net posters too. HOWEVER I do have a beef with some of the things the team is doing. Paul Allen is one of the best owners in sports, just look at how much the team has won since he took over in 1997. I trust he will always do the right thing for the Seahawks.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
sdog1981":wl23qdh0 said:
I don't get the whole "if you criticize the team your not a fan." logic. I love the Seahawks and you .net posters too. HOWEVER I do have a beef with some of the things the team is doing. Paul Allen is one of the best owners in sports, just look at how much the team has won since he took over in 1997. I trust he will always do the right thing for the Seahawks.

This.

hawker84

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":399hm47w said:
sdog1981":399hm47w said:

This.

yep this, some of you need to hop off your soap box..

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
hawker84":27k58r1w said:
Shanegotyou11":27k58r1w said:
sdog1981":27k58r1w said:

This.

So the first post I was kind of "Hmm...don't quite get how that relates to what I wrote". After the next two, I got really confused. You guys referring to me or someone else somewhere else or what?

I'm just posting about how I really enjoy this team, how I really love what's going on right now with the team, the team is built really well and even if we have our downs, I am grateful for how our team is built

So just curious what the three of you mean and are referring to and specifically if it's backlash against something I wrote.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Justin Britt is far from not All Pro and has just a Pro Bowl alternate

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
byau":3plusp0r said:
hawker84":3plusp0r said:
Shanegotyou11":3plusp0r said:
sdog1981":3plusp0r said:

This.

So the first post I was kind of "Hmm...don't quite get how that relates to what I wrote". After the next two, I got really confused. You guys referring to me or someone else somewhere else or what?

I'm just posting about how I really enjoy this team, how I really love what's going on right now with the team, the team is built really well and even if we have our downs, I am grateful for how our team is built

So just curious what the three of you mean and are referring to and specifically if it's backlash against something I wrote.

I mean in general. Personally not you. Lol.

I mean I can't speak for them. I dislike when fans say your not a real fan if you aren't 100% positive. It happens all the time to ppl if they don't like something.

They might of taken it as a dig. I just agreed with what he said. I also agree I love this team. They aren't what they were but still better then 75% of the teams.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2oq17a1l said:
I don't get the whole "if you criticize the team your not a fan." logic.

He never said anything like that.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
sdog1981":1nqg31cn said:
Another resounding "this".

It's not just the OP, or the title of this thread, but mostly in other threads where if you actually care enough to provide corrective measures that could be taken to improve the team we love, somehow your a hater or a sky is falling guy.

If you think all is well in the land of Seahawks, then you are a problematic fan. I watched through decades of mediocrity and don't want to do it again. Complacency is how that happens.

If you are coasting, you are going downhill.

kf3339

Reaction score
johnnyfever":msfnncvt said:
sdog1981":msfnncvt said:
Another resounding "this".

It's not just the OP, or the title of this thread, but mostly in other threads where if you actually care enough to provide corrective measures that could be taken to improve the team we love, somehow your a hater or a sky is falling guy.

If you think all is well in the land of Seahawks, then you are a problematic fan. I watched through decades of mediocrity and don't want to do it again. Complacency is how that happens.

If you are coasting, you are going downhill.

It is very difficult on this board to say anything that sounds like criticism or negativity towards the team or coaches without someone questioning your loyalty to the Hawks. It is why so many long term posters have left this board for good. I personally have cut down my comments to only a few a week, and rarely during game day.

The board is just not the same today.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
kf3339":heixgrm3 said:
It is very difficult on this board to say anything that sounds like criticism or negativity towards the team or coaches without someone questioning your loyalty to the Hawks. It is why so many long term posters have left this board for good. I personally have cut down my comments to only a few a week, and rarely during game day.

The board is just not the same today.

I don't think the dearth of negativity is the problem. The board has been suffocatingly negative for quite some time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For me personally it has nothing to do with criticizing the team. Hell, if you think about it, being able to criticize moves and anything the team is doing is at the very life blood of a fan forum. For me it's those who are perpetually snarky and negative (hence the "Gloom and Doomers" tag I use). I am sensitive towards overtly negative people and that includes behavior (or writing style) in a forum.

Here's a hypothetical sample of the difference...

Normal Criticism:

Sorry, I just don't see the Seahawks winning this one. We are really beat up with key players out and (the opponent's) strength is stretching the field. The play calling, especially the lack of adjusting on the fly (such as a mind-boggling lack of screen plays to combat the constant pressure Russ deals with) has me very concerned. In the end I think the Seahawks fall short.

Gloom And Doomers "Criticism":

This team is garbage. They have absolutely no shot. We will get blown out 56 to 3. Why do I even bother watching this team? It's the same old BS year after year....(blah blah you get the point).

The former lays out the reason they feel the way they do without needless negativity. It doesn't likely put anyone on the defensive but allows them to understand (and perhaps agree) without the "Chicken Little" syndrome. The latter is the opposite. Defensive, cynical, unreasonably negative. No it's not against the rules but it is completely draining to the collective psyche of the board.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
^^ Yeah, it's kinda all in keeping some semblance of perspective, isn't it?^^

Some seem to lose perspective, and that's where things start leading toward the nonsensical, for me at least.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3sq6aiyy said:

Some seem to lose perspective, and that's where things start leading toward the nonsensical, for me at least.

This goes both ways, from calling the team complete garbage to those talking about winning out. Both are highly improbable and lack objective perspective. Right now, we lose 36% of the time, and there is no real reason why we win or lose (home vs away, good team or bad etc). Complete inconsistency, and that was for the most part before all the injuries.

Realism and objective vision is what the team needs if it wants to improve.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
johnnyfever":266pxhvu said:
Grahamhawker":266pxhvu said:

This goes both ways, from calling the team complete garbage to those talking about winning out. Both are highly improbable and lack objective perspective. Right now, we lose 36% of the time, and there is no real reason why we win or lose (home vs away, good team or bad etc). Complete inconsistency, and that was for the most part before all the injuries.

Agree with that. It's hard being a fan of a team that is talented, yet this inconsistent. This is especially true given the Hawks' recent (5 years...) success; and now we have what we have. It is compounded by expectations of continued efforts by the FO to "evolve" that may or may not be happening. If they are happening, it's frustrating that it's not more apparent.

Spreading "rah, rah, we're winning out" seems about equal in realism to "this team sucks donkey nards". Neither is realistic nor interesting at this point.

The optimist in me says our D will be fine with the replacements in the secondary getting more time to gel, and the running game will reappear when Davis is healthy and somehow a healthy Rawls busts loose for major contributions down the stretch. The pessimist in me says the run is over, too many vets are "done", coaching is stagnant, and the FO has no will to go back to the drawing board.

Ultimately, I'm going to try hard to enjoy the rest of the season, and let it end where it may. I'm going to try to not let my expectations and frustrations get in the way of enjoying watching a good football team- my football team- do what they do.

:irishdrinkers:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe.

Personally, I think some of the gloom stuff before is a defense mechanism so they don't get disappointed.

I am not disappointed in the poor performance of this team like I was a year ago, I expect it.

We have Carroll, we have Bevell and we have the problems that this coaching staff has carted around for several years.

This staff has major weaknesses we choose not to address. So we are going to keep having the same problems until something changes. And by changes I do not mean more people getting injured.

Regardless I expect it, enjoy what I can from the games (defense) and enjoy watching Wilson pull the wagon himself despite the poorly devised system his coaches have dropped him into.

We aren't great anymore. We haven't been for several years and I don't think we had some right to stay a dynasty like team like I did. I love the team. I enjoy watching the players and I feel very fortunate to have been a fan and gone to the games during the greatest years of Seahawk history.

As one of the posters pointed out, it would be a very Seahawk thing to beat the Eagles and then just get shelled by Jacksonville. But what is the larger issue is that we probably won't beat the Rams. In the past few years, there have been several must wins against division opponents on the road and at home that we dropped - games that would have given us a better chance at winning the division.

So if the Seahawks want to show that this year is different, they have to win the division. I had them penciled in to win a wild card and then get destroyed in the very next game. Now I am worried about them even getting that far.

But you never know.

Either way, I quit being gloomy about it and just accepted that I needed to radically lower my expectations. It has been an easier year this year because I just expect a reasonable amount of losses. We aren't great and I shouldn't pretend we are. You can love the team, watching the games, and still be aware they really are not contenders anymore and have not been for some time. This is just a good team that is getting worse as more players age.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2cgy6b7m said:
johnnyfever":2cgy6b7m said:
Grahamhawker":2cgy6b7m said:

Agree with that. It's hard being a fan of a team that is talented, yet this inconsistent. This is especially true given the Hawks' recent (5 years...) success; and now we have what we have. It is compounded by expectations of continued efforts by the FO to "evolve" that may or may not be happening. If they are happening, it's frustrating that it's not more apparent.

Spreading "rah, rah, we're winning out" seems about equal in realism to "this team sucks donkey nards". Neither is realistic nor interesting at this point.

The optimist in me says our D will be fine with the replacements in the secondary getting more time to gel, and the running game will reappear when Davis is healthy and somehow a healthy Rawls busts loose for major contributions down the stretch. The pessimist in me says the run is over, too many vets are "done", coaching is stagnant, and the FO has no will to go back to the drawing board.

Ultimately, I'm going to try hard to enjoy the rest of the season, and let it end where it may. I'm going to try to not let my expectations and frustrations get in the way of enjoying watching a good football team- my football team- do what they do.

:irishdrinkers:
Well said.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
:2thumbs:

Attachments

• shirt.jpg
    shirt.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,349

hawker84

Reaction score
byau":33l99jch said:
hawker84":33l99jch said:
Shanegotyou11":33l99jch said:
sdog1981":33l99jch said:

This.

I personally wasn't referring to you. Other posters here on general.