Why haven't we for the most part used a fullback?

seabowl

Reaction score
I am perplexed on how with such issues on the OL we haven't used a fullback much at all this year. Guys like Reese and Tukuafu in the past really helped create holes for the running game which has been as we all know non existent this year. It seems that they have gone with 2 and I think even 3 TE sets at times but this IMO is less likely to help rb's when the line is stacked as opposed to a FB creating space.

So many decisions like this by the coaching staff the last few years just go against what I would like to think would be no brainers but for whatever reason they choose not to do.

rossob

Reaction score
I am curious about that, too. I have been praying and hoping they would get a fb every week for half this season. I don't have clue why they did not sign Reece but have given up hope by now. I think even if they wanted to sign a fb now we wouldn't have enough cap space left to do so.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Because we have a superior zone blocking scheme that eliminates the need. :sarcasm_off:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1aqm6op2 said:
Bevell prefers a 3rd WR. :roll:

Only on 3rd down with an empty backfield and Graham on the bench.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Vannett seems suited for an h-back role like Chris Cooley played for the 'Skins. It'd be nice to see that incorporated.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2hyqma97 said:
hawknation2017":2hyqma97 said:

Only if it's 3rd and 2 or less. No one would think to cover the pass.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3lccx2hl said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3lccx2hl said:
hawknation2017":3lccx2hl said:

This doesn't even make sense.

Watch closely. Quite often you see Willson or Vannett playing in those situations. Even the announcers have been questioning it.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Was Tukuafu even good at blocking? Reese's strength seemed to be receiving tbh. As for third and shorts, we have been pretty bad at picking those up with RBs running, so I don't think passing is a bad option there. I know Lacy converted a 3rd and 1, maybe in the Falcons game? It sticks out because it's so uncommon.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Half of NFL teams didn't even roster fullbacks last season. This isn't just Seattle.

This team doesn't have a fullback problem, it has an Eddie Lacy/O-line problem.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
seabowl":36jzu3n0 said:
I am perplexed on how with such issues on the OL we haven't used a fullback much at all this year. Guys like Reese and Tukuafu in the past really helped create holes for the running game which has been as we all know non existent this year. It seems that they have gone with 2 and I think even 3 TE sets at times but this IMO is less likely to help rb's when the line is stacked as opposed to a FB creating space.

So many decisions like this by the coaching staff the last few years just go against what I would like to think would be no brainers but for whatever reason they choose not to do.
C'mon now. You have to be patient. It took Bevell about 6 weeks to incorporate a screen pass into the game plan. So by week 16 you should probably expect to see a FB in a split back set for a couple of plays per Quarter.

A-Dog

Reaction score
It's tough to carry the FB position and the TE position roster-wise. If you carry one FB and he gets injured, then what? Easier to just use TEs.

cymatica

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3pmnopgr said:
C'mon now. You have to be patient. It took Bevell about 6 weeks to incorporate a screen pass into the game plan. So by week 16 you should probably expect to see a FB in a split back set for a couple of plays per Quarter.

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :pukeface:

I am still amazed that happened. It's the little things the average joe notices that go right over the heads of the "experts" that baffle me. Maybe he can draw up a gameplan like a pro and just doesn't have it when it comes to calling plays and feeling out an opponent, but I'm still waiting for a logical explanation on the screens.

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm just a dude, but I knew from the beginning of the season that Reese was the guy over Madden.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The idea behind a fullback is taking on a LB in the gap. You can also pull with a guard (angle blocking), use the read option to avoid the LB, play a 6th OL, force them to substitute a DB in and LB out to cover a 3rd WR, or use a TE. The TE is the preferred option for many plays and most teams, as they tend to be superior in the passing game which gives a lot more flexibility. When we've used a fullback it tends to be guys like MRob, Reece, Coleman and Madden who can catch passes out of the backfield. The traditional NFL power fullback was dying out in the 90s and went extinct in the 2000s.

I haven't seen the statistics this year, but last year our empty sets were our most effective personnel groupings (both 01 and 02). Going empty does not allow them to key on the pass because RW is a mobile QB who is a threat to run on his own if not contained. It opens up the middle of the field and I suspect one of our best looks this year has been with a single back when we motion them out (empty set) prior to the snap. The Tacoma guys usually post personnel groupings so it's probably worth looking at before you criticize it based on pure speculation.

Perhaps you have noticed that our usage of screens coincides with using Davis at RB. We're just not confident with Rawls or Lacy's hands, for good reason. The guy drafted for the job (Prosise) couldn't stay on the field in the NFL. You can bet if Davis is in the game tomorrow the Eagles will be thinking about the possibility of a screen. I expect the Hawks to try another stab at a 3rd down back in the 2018 draft as they have always made a pass catching back a priority (Leon, Harvin, DC, FredEx, Prosise).

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":20swtrjm said:
Sox-n-Hawks":20swtrjm said:
FlyHawksFly":20swtrjm said:
Sox-n-Hawks":20swtrjm said:

Watch closely. Quite often you see Willson or Vannett playing in those situations. Even the announcers have been questioning it.

You only have 10 guys on the field in your example.

PS oh no not the announcers!

5xOL+1QB+3WR+1RB+1TE(Vannett or Willson)= 11 players on the field. Bevell LOVES to split out the RB on empty backfield sets and leave JG on the bench. It leaves me scratching my head.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3gjazz58 said:
FlyHawksFly":3gjazz58 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3gjazz58 said:
FlyHawksFly":3gjazz58 said:

5xOL+1QB+3WR+1RB+1TE(Vannett or Willson)= 11 players on the field. Bevell LOVES to split out the RB on empty backfield sets and leave JG on the bench. It leaves me scratching my head.
If an opposing team doesn't see an RB on the field, empty backfield is basically a foregone conclusion -- it's the offense signaling that they are passing.

If there is an RB on the field, the defense might throw out a different personnel grouping (e.g. extra linebacker instead of an extra DB) to help stop a potential run. Pre-snap motion is also used sometimes to aid the QB in assessing the defense (if the motioned player is trailed by a defensive player it's likely man coverage, if nobody shadows him it's likely zone coverage).

Think about it this way: pre-snap in the huddle you see an RB on the field and Jimmy Graham on the sideline on 3rd and short. That doesn't exactly scream "pass" to an opposing coordinator. It's just deception, part of the game of chess coordinators play. If Jimmy was more physical and a better blocker you'd probably never see him leave the field in this situation.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Jimmy G.....

I get it, but if JG was on the field instead, you create instant Man-coverage and mis-matches. It's another example of Bevell tricking himself out of using the most effective play to get his playmakers the ball. It could be argued that if you put Graham on the field in this situation and send P-Rich on an endaround it would catch the Defense off guard. Now that he's started using empty backfield sets with JG in the red-zone, JG is getting the TDs. The same will be true for third down conversions.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1f1l68s3 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1f1l68s3 said:
FlyHawksFly":1f1l68s3 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1f1l68s3 said:

Jesus you are jumping all over yourself to figure this one out.

It's the internet. I have to defend my position at all costs... hahahah :sarcasm_on: