Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Ok....the lateral????

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Ok....the lateral????
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:12 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:It did essentially carry forward, but the ball did travel backwards relative to Wilson because he was running so fast. The faster you go, the more force you need to throw the ball backwards to cancel out its velocity. Most laterals are done at much slower speed, so it's not usually an issue.

Ya, I can't imagine anyone watching on TV thought it was a forward pass until the replays showing the markers clearly, since it was a lateral relative to the moving players. But from the rule quoted earlier sounds like that doesn't matter.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm
  • I guess the conspiracy is against the Eagles this week. :twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Passer releases the ball and continues running forward. Ball travels forward but is caught behind where passer ends up when the ball is caught...forward pass....it only matters where the ball struck in relation to where it was released. This brings the ohysics argument out of the equation...which makes the rule the opposite of more complicated (simpler).
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm
  • Sgt Largent wrote:It's not even remotely close to a forward pass. Some of you need to take a #_&@ physics class.

What? I think you need the physics lesson
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm
  • It’s on the Eagles for not challenging it.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm
  • Could also argue that #24 of the Eagles committed a low block on Wilson since he didn't have the ball and was hit in the legs. I mean even Hasselbeck gets called for doing it on the actual ball carrier...

253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Passer releases the ball and continues running forward. Ball travels forward but is caught behind where passer ends up when the ball is caught...forward pass....it only matters where the ball struck in relation to where it was released. This brings the ohysics argument out of the equation...which makes the rule the opposite of more complicated (simpler).

Dude, watch the highlight again. The ball leaves Wilson's body headed behind his latitude. How is this discussion happening?

Philly didn't challenge it because they know they would have lost.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:19 pm
  • It's called physics. RW threw the ball backward initially, that's all it matters !
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Could also argue that #24 of the Eagles committed a low block on Wilson since he didn't have the ball and was hit in the legs. I mean even Hasselbeck gets called for doing it on the actual ball carrier...

That tweet sums it up perfectly.

Looks great.

Letter of law(rules). Illegal
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm
  • trharder wrote:Why would they include the word "initially" if it didn't matter? Initially, he threw the ball behind him. Lateral. Legal.
    Great play.

That portion of the rule only really matters if the ball is tipped forward after travelling backward INITIALLY, it is there to protect the offense from a fumble ruling after a tipped backward pass. Part (b) is the rule that matters in this case.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 pm
  • It was an illegal forward pass.

Unfortunately, per usual, everyone will focus on this one play rather than the full scope of the game.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Dude, watch the highlight again. The ball leaves Wilson's body headed behind his latitude. How is this discussion happening?

Because that doesnt matter. All that matters is the balls starting and end result in relation to THE GOAL LINE. Starting, further away, ending, closer. Forward pass. Physics DOES NOT MATTER IN RELATION TO THE NFL RULEBOOK.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    trharder wrote:Why would they include the word "initially" if it didn't matter? Initially, he threw the ball behind him. Lateral. Legal.
    Great play.

That portion of the rule only really matters if the ball is tipped forward after travelling backward INITIALLY, it is there to protect the offense from a fumble ruling after a tipped backward pass. Part (b) is the rule that matters in this case.

Although I think it's illegal under (a) as well: "the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s)"

The ball isn't magically changing directions in mid-air, and the part I bolded seems to clarify that "forward" is relative to the field, not the players.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Exactly. If laterals in some of the past NFL games were scrutinized with freeze frame/instant replay to this degree we'd probably have a rule change to the lateral pass by now.
    Bottom line is two guys running simultaneous: the man sprinting in front tosses it slightly backward to the man behind him will find the ball still traveling forward nearly as fast as the are.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

Next question.

Because that doesnt matter. All that matters is the balls starting and end result in relation to THE GOAL LINE. Starting, further away, ending, closer. Forward pass. Physics DOES NOT MATTER IN RELATION TO THE NFL RULEBOOK.

In arguing the backward pass doesn't matter, you're tacitly admitting he did throw it backward.

There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. And anyone in a bar (outside of Philadelphia) can see Wilson pitched the ball behind him. Hence: backward pass.

Unless you're an Eagles fan, I don't know why you're nitpicking technicalities. And if you are an Eagles fan, then you're never going to be convinced otherwise. So, again, we're done here.

It was a great play by a great QB. Sorry your team lost.

(I'm not sorry.)
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:37 pm
  • We got away with one.
    They got away with shit too. (Oline holding, facemask on PRich)
    Their coach could have challenged but he did not. THAT is not our fault.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

In arguing the backward pass doesn't matter, you're tacitly admitting he did throw it backward.

There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. And anyone in a bar (outside of Philadelphia) can see Wilson pitched the ball behind him. Hence: backward pass.

Unless you're an Eagles fan, I don't know why you're nitpicking technicalities. And if you are an Eagles fan, then you're never going to be convinced otherwise. So, again, we're done here.

(I'm not sorry.)

There are no technicalities in this case. I was happy Pederson didnt challenge because he would have won. It was a great heads up move by Wilson, however it was a forward pass, if you want to make up rules to suit you that is fine. But you should know that the reality of the NFL rulebook opposes your fantasy.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:

(I'm not sorry.)

There are no technicalities in this case. I was happy Pederson didnt challenge because he would have won. It was a great heads up move by Wilson, however it was a forward pass, if you want to make up rules to suit you that is fine. But you should know that the reality of the NFL rulebook opposes your fantasy.

He throws the ball behind him, homie. That's a fact.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:We got away with one.

Exactly, It LOOKED like a lateral to the world. If it wasn't under close examination, then it was UP TO THE EAGLES who had a time out (two in fact) and a challenge left to throw the red hanky.

They didn't which apparently means they thought it was legit. If you fail to challenge, you have no right to complain.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:42 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

(I'm not sorry.)

The NFL appears to have gone out of their way to clarify in the rule that "forward" is relative to the field ("a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line"), so I'm not sure how you can argue the spirit of the rule is relative to the passer. We can argue about what the rule should be, but with the current rule the Seahawks clearly got away with one.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:43 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

(I'm not sorry.)

He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:He throws the ball behind him, homie. That's a fact.

No one's arguing that, but according to the rules it's also irrelevant.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:47 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:

(I'm not sorry.)

Keep bitching boy, we will be bending you over or Minnasota soon enough.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 pm
  • Josea16 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

Keep bitching boy we will be bending you or Minnasota soon enough.

Lol.

Sorry Im not from the faction of fans that will defend EVERY call that goes our way to the death no matter what the rulebook says. Once again, glad it went our way but Im MAN enough to admit when my team got away with one. Boy.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:It was an illegal forward pass.

Unfortunately, per usual, everyone will focus on this one play rather than the full scope of the game.

This threAd is about that play thus the focus
    HawkerD
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm
  • Philly didnt challenge means its a great play. Nuff said.
    12thbrah
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm
  • It was a forward pass, by rule, and we got away with one. Since it was pitched at the 47 and caught at the 48, by rule it was a forward pass. It did look totally awesome and clearly like a lateral in live play.

No challenge, too bad for Philly. Oh well.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 pm
  • It was a forward pass, by rule, and we got away with one. Since it was pitched at the 47 and caught at the 48, by rule it was a forward pass. It did look totally awesome and clearly like a lateral in live play.

Had it been challenged, Philly would have won the challenge. Yes, it was close, but it was clear. Philly wins the challenge, but NOT the game, if they challenge.

Last edited by olyfan63 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:[He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

Wow, really holding that phrase at a distance. I've heard all I need to.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 pm
  • The lateral pass rule is outdated.
    It should recognize where the players are in relation to eachother when the ball is tossed and not merely the travel of the ball. If a backward toss isnt even a lateral then NFL may have trouble with its ruling.
    Some historic laterals were never scrutinized to this degree by guys like Cris Collingsworth.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:It was a forward pass, by rule, and we got away with one. Since it was pitched at the 47 and caught at the 48, by rule it was a forward pass. It did look totally awesome and clearly like a lateral in live play.

Had it been challenged, Philly would have won the challenge. Yes, it was close, but it was clear. Philly wins the challenge, but the game, if they challenge.

Yup and it was a really good job of Bevell to get the play in quick so not much time to look at it. They also ran a trick play, didn't work, but still a good call to try and catch them off guard.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:03 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:[He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

Not real fond of someone who just accused me of being an Eagles fan turning around and calling me homie.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 pm
  • hgwellz12 wrote:I don't care! Awesome play!!! Any and all Iglesias fans can kiss my ass. Twice! Thr Thr Thr THREEE TIMES! I LOVE PRIME TIME GAMES!

It really was an awesome play.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:The lateral pass rule is outdated.
    It should recognize where the players are in relation to eachother when the ball is tossed and not merely the travel of the ball. If a backward toss isnt even a lateral then NFL may have trouble with its ruling.
    Some historic laterals were never scrutinized to this degree by guys like Cris Collingsworth.

If you re-wrote the rule to just make it relative to the passer I think that would still be easy enough to enforce, and allowing this sort of play would make the game more fun to watch.

I mean apart from the pesky rulebook, that play was awesome.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:14 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:[He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

So sad for you sir. Go ahead and hit me. I'm waiting for your best spin sir.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:The lateral pass rule is outdated.

Yes, if the rule-as-written somehow means Sunday's play was illegal, there have been hundreds and hundreds of illegal plays throughout the seasons.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:27 pm
  • Refs didn't call it. Must have been legal. :mrgreen:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 pm
  • How many challenges does a team get in a half? Because Philly had already challenged once and lost.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 pm
  • How is this 2 pages? The Seahawks got a gift.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:How many challenges does a team get in a half? Because Philly had already challenged once and lost.

Interesting point. Maybe did not want to risk giving up another time out. They are more valuable when losing.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 pm
  • Year of The Hawk wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:How many challenges does a team get in a half? Because Philly had already challenged once and lost.

Interesting point. Maybe did not want to risk giving up another time out. They are more valuable when losing.

THey had one challenge left.

I could possibly been a game changer since, if they won the challenge, Seattle is punting instead of scoring.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:51 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:THey had one challenge left.

I could possibly been a game changer since, if they won the challenge, Seattle is punting instead of scoring.

Ya if they thought they had even a 50% of winning that challenge, you have to do it given the yards gained on the play, field position, and that it was 3rd down in a 7 point game. I'm sure Pederson will explain why he chose not to challenge; perhaps they just didn't have enough time to analyse properly (it looked like a lateral and took combining a couple shots to realize the ball in fact moved forward).
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:01 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:We got away with one.

There was also a Facemask on maxi, on one of the long bombs from wentz as well
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:12 pm
  • Ignoring in game ramifications, from the rules yeah that was illegal, but from the "that looked like a lateral cause he threw it behind him test" it passes.

It would be nice if football had less insane rule controversies, continuous instant replays and flags and instead had more fun.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:13 pm
  • It was illegal. So, what!

Al Michaels was obsessed with it. Get over it. Bad calls all night, all season, who cares. The iggles scored 10 points and that's why they lost. Not because of one missed call.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 am
  • Wait.. can you challenge if there is no penalty? No flags right, so how can you can it be challenged?

I know, you can challenge the spot of the ball, but perhaps you can't challenge something like that?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Wait.. can you challenge if there is no penalty? No flags right, so how can you can it be challenged?

I know, you can challenge the spot of the ball, but perhaps you can't challenge something like that?

That's a really good point. You generally can't challenge for "missed penalty", not sure if there'd be something about a completed pass you could challenge on.

I assume we'll learn more in the coming days.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:10 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..

Does this mater by the letter of the rule, or does it only matter that it gets tossed backwards?

In the NFL it's the yardline thrown vs the yardline caught.

In rugby it's whether or not the ball moves backward relative to the thrower in motion.

In the NFL Wilson's was a forward pass. In rugby, it's perfectly legal.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 am
  • Maybe I’m dead wrong and Call me a Homer J. Simpson if you must, but I don’t think this is as cut and dried as some want it to be.

It looked like a true lateral to me, meaning sideways. Also not being factored in is the camera angle.
    Was the camera ahead, behind, or perfectly aligned with the play?
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:34 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Wait.. can you challenge if there is no penalty? No flags right, so how can you can it be challenged?

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure they could challenge the play in question.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information