Ok....the lateral????

pmedic920

Reaction score
Legal or not?

I initially thought it was legal, still do, and a rule was posted in the GameDay forum.

It was legal as far as I know.

Within 4 minuets of the play, “bleacher report” was already asking if it should have been allowed.
A8171798074241dc597ef8b2642af9d2

Sometimes, most of the time, I hate the National media.

What’s your opinion of the play?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
It helped the game winning play which was the non challenge.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..

Redsand187

Reaction score
What's the rule? He obviously was throwing it backwards, but with the momentum it ended up further ahead than where it was thrown from.

Rflagg

Reaction score
pmedic920":34xo32m5 said:
Bobblehead":34xo32m5 said:
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..

Does this mater by the letter of the rule, or does it only matter that it gets tossed backwards?
I have no idea if I am right, but that is how I think it should be and how I thought it was.

rossob

Reaction score
Cyrus12":g2zdtvgh said:
Lateral..if not..too close to call

That's it I think. Might have been a forward pass but it would very likely not have been overturned.

lobohawk

Reaction score
If the question is did Wilson throw it behind himself, the yes. Two players running parallel and one tosses it backward to the other, the ball will drift forward....but it was still thrown behind the QB.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Philly is dumb for not challenging. Almost always do refs miss a live, close lateral play. Nobody expects it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
lobohawk":2tl9zc9m said:
If the question is did Wilson throw it behind himself, the yes. Two players running parallel and one tosses it backward to the other, the ball will drift forward....but it was still thrown behind the QB.

No, the ball was released at about the 47 and was caught about the 48.. it looked like a lateral, but if you references it with the hashmarks it's pretty clearly forward.

mrblitz

Reaction score
it must have been russell's baseball experience kicking in... a curve ball... can't recall ever having seen that before...

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
pmedic920":3mnglsv7 said:
mikeak":3mnglsv7 said:
The ball travelled forward. Illegal pass

Is this your opinion or are you quoting the rule as it applies to this play?

Both?

The ball was thrown at the Seahawks 47 and caught at the Seahawks 48. The rule states that if the ball strikes ANYTHING (incliding Mike Davis) at a point closer to the goal line than where the ball was RELEASED, it is a forward pass

None of this really matters though as th Eagles couldn't put up another point and arguably got away with OPI on their lone TD.

renofox

Reaction score
https://static.nfl.com/static/conte...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

Rule 8
Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble
Section 1
Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 Definition

It is a forward pass if:
(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s); or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

Released at ~47 yard line.

Caught at ~47.5 - 48 yard line.

Ball does not change direction of travel in mid-flight.

It was a forward pass.

If challenged and overturned it would have been 4th and 8 (loss of down) from the 42 (5 yard penalty).

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
This Rugby player says, the ball has to be released and thrown toward your own goal line. I'll count rugby rules this time.