Impact of Russell Wilson

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Did everyone see Philly’s DL in the second half. They were completely gassed. This is the impact Russell has on opposing defenses. Chasing him around for three quarters is exhausting. He has been lighting up the 4th quarter for good reason. This is a similar impact Lynch used to have. Nobody wanted to face BeastMode in the 4th quarter. Now if we can only extend some drives in the first half to take advantage a little better.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It's always funny seeing good defenses who never play against Russell experience what it's like to play against him. Nothing they've been taught will help contain him without having to do it year after year. It's taken the NFC West years to slowly figure out what to do and really only the Rams have had success (and Green Bay somehow, I will never understand why they look so awful against most teams but have his number).

Mindsink

Reaction score
It was glorious to watch this hyped-up Eagles defense gassed and at times puzzled.

Seymour

Reaction score
Are you guys sure of that? I read right here that if Russell would throw all passes under 3 seconds, we would win every game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mistaowen":2y3z3zhq said:
It's always funny seeing good defenses who never play against Russell experience what it's like to play against him. Nothing they've been taught will help contain him without having to do it year after year. It's taken the NFC West years to slowly figure out what to do and really only the Rams have had success (and Green Bay somehow, I will never understand why they look so awful against most teams but have his number).

It's because Dom Capers is a guy who doesn't mind rushing three and dropping eight. That's actually the formula for beating Russ. Flood his targets.

Needless to say, the Eagles didn't do that.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":uenxhi8l said:
mistaowen":uenxhi8l said:

It's because Dom Capers is a guy who doesn't mind rushing three and dropping eight. That's actually the formula for beating Russ. Flood his targets.

They also have Clay Matthews shadow him if I remember correctly, so having a LB athletic enough to mirror him helps, though I feel like they did send pressure. Granted, the offensive line was utter garbage the first game of the year so they probably didn't need to blitz anyways. It's just interesting how guys like Kaep have had career games against them but so routinely shut down Russ.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":38ph9r2j said:
mistaowen":38ph9r2j said:

I think they just have the right personnel on defense. The speed and scheme, it's like they know what Russ & Bevell are gonna do before they do

aawolf

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fmh4oco said:
mistaowen":1fmh4oco said:

If I were an opposing defense, I would put on tape from Rams games. Unfortunately, if I'm not the Rams and I don't have Aaron Donald or Robert Quinn, nothing I do would be very effective. I think alot of the Rams success against us is the strong push that the entire line gets and their ability to play disciplined and seal off any escape routes for Russell Wilson. Its not rushing three that does it, but its keeping the line disciplined enough not to lose contain in the middle or to either side.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":27z8ciqj said:
mistaowen":27z8ciqj said:

Pats tried this against Russ, who was healing up from injuries at the time, and got shredded.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":3cmwbimd said:
MontanaHawk05":3cmwbimd said:
mistaowen":3cmwbimd said:

Pats tried this against Russ, who was healing up from injuries at the time, and got shredded.

That's because Wilson's good. It doesn't negate my statement.

Tampa and Washington tried this formula and it worked out just fine for them. Rams have as well.

Wilson is one of the best QB rated against the blitz in the league.

RussB

Reaction score
I dont know how he keeps doing it he is truly a special talent. He is making these spectular plays so much now that its become the norm. Only guy ive ever seen do something similair to this is aaron rodgers. Him and wilson just have that awareness and ablility no one else does.

Greenhell

Reaction score
RussB":1uc2957q said:
I dont know how he keeps doing it he is truly a special talent. He is making these spectular plays so much now that its become the norm. Only guy ive ever seen do something similair to this is aaron rodgers. Him and wilson just have that awareness and ablility no one else does.

It's a beautiful thing. :179417:

A-Dog

Reaction score
He's got his legs back this year. I don't know how you stop him. Probably with amazing talent, like the Rams. Be disciplined in your pass rush, choke the pocket but try not to let him break contain. Maybe use a spy if you have somebody athletic enough to chase him down.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wizofwest":36v3m3mu said:
Did everyone see Philly’s DL in the second half. They were completely gassed. This is the impact Russell has on opposing defenses. Chasing him around for three quarters is exhausting. He has been lighting up the 4th quarter for good reason. This is a similar impact Lynch used to have. Nobody wanted to face BeastMode in the 4th quarter. Now if we can only extend some drives in the first half to take advantage a little better.

Noticed that as well. Perhaps that is our new strategy. Give RW a crappy O-Line so opposing defenses run around like crazy trying to catch him. Genius!

Joking aside, what a shootout between two very capable QBs and our D was the difference likely because of the reason you cited. They still looked relatively fresh by the 4th quarter and the Philly D was visibly gassed.

Putting aside stats, I continued to maintain RW has really grown as a player this season. He is a far more capable QB from almost all aspects of his game than prior years as much out of necessity as anything. I still worry he's going to get hurt out there because he has to sandlot so much, but so far he's managed to avoid it for the most part.

Give him a decent line, a decent running game, make a few youth-oriented improvements on defense, and RW could lead us to the promised land yet again.

Not this season, and not unless drastic changes are made via the men calling the plays, but RW's potential upside is HUGE. I'm a believer in that potential big time. Just not sure he's going to be given the supporting cast to get him there.