Has This Team Re-discovered their Missing Chip?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I brought this up in another thread, but thought that I would expand upon this idea in full here.

A lot of people have been speculating about this and that, asking what's been missing with this team. I completely agree that the offensive line's struggles have contributed significantly to this team's woes ... as has Darrell Bevell's play-calling ...and a number of other factors.

Honestly, as I sit back and ponder what I believe has been the MOST significant factor of all ... is that this team has really been missing that "chip on the shoulder." In all reality, these guys haven't had that "chip on the shoulder" mentality since losing the Super Bowl in 2014.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the addition of Byron Maxwell has been HUGE and has helped offset the loss of Sherman ... and the same thing can be said about McDougald in regards to Chancellor ... BUT, I'm honestly thinking that this mentality is so key to the success of this team.

Everyone has EXPECTED these guys to be good. Since 2013, the experts out there have given this team its props. And you can say all you want that guys don't pay attention to the media, fans on twitter, etc. ... but that's not true. They do. They hear all the accolades and you hear that enough, I think you start to fall back on your laurels a bit. What is it that Pete Carroll always says that he wants? He likes guys who are young and hungry. Young guys who are poor (not making a whole ton of money) ... or are in the last years of their contracts ... are far more motivated than veterans who may be sitting back on the laurels of the past (just a bit). It doesn't take much. As I've learned over time, the difference between being a Super Bowl Contender ... and being 8-8 IS a very slim margin indeed. It's subtle and not easily noticed (it's giving 90% vs. 100% ... play by play ... week in and week out).

I'm honestly thinking that what these guys have truly NEEDED ... is for everyone out there to DOUBT these guys -- to say that they're washed up, no longer elite, etc. These guys really and truly NEED that.

These guys honestly need all of the talking heads out there out there saying they CAN'T beat good teams anymore. Therefore, they will. This team NEEDS that chip on the shoulder. It's like having a hot looking muscle car ... but having no gasoline to actually run it. Last night, that chip on the shoulder was back.

I'm thinking that kind of stuff ... that kind of doubt ... that kind of "no one out there believes in us" ... that kind of "Us vs. the World" mentality ... is the Tackling Fuel that drives the Seattle Seahawks. All they needed is that kind of doubt and disrespect from others to rekindle the flame ...

[youtube]HTb-qfawCjo[/youtube]

Mindsink

Reaction score
I was thinking the exact same thing last night too. It just seemed like the defense (in particular) had something to prove and they were flying all over the field against this vaunted Philly offense. I think the new guys in the secondary especially feel like they have something to prove.

Sherman and Chancellor's injuries could be a blessing in disguise.

On a side note... Wagner was a beast. That one play where he caught Adjai on that delayed handoff and just spiked him to the ground...amazing play!

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think the injuries to key players have forced us to put young hungry guys on the field. I'm not saying avril, sherm, Kam wtc are complacent fully, but instead that the hunger isn't as prevalent as it was when they were younger.

I'm liking the depth and play of our new guys. Really stepping up.

RussB

Reaction score
They looked fired up. They played angry i saw frank clark talking shit all game to the eagles and he looked angry,Bobby wagner was a man possesed. Rest of the team played that way too. I think all the talk about losing Kam,Sherm, and Avril and how they are falling off lit a fire under them and made them hungry. The young players are playing hungry and like they have something to prove. This is a good thing and might even be a blessing in disguise.

Also is anyone else really impressed by Bradley Mcdougald? I think hes playing very well.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I felt good when we beat NE last year too and we saw what happened. This upcoming game against the Jags will tell a lot. Lets enjoy this win, but lets not get to comfortable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said this weeks ago, this group of players has a hard time being favorites and front runners.

They thrive on being underdogs and "disrespected."

But I don't think we were ever missing a chip on our shoulders. Just had to get to a point in the season where we finally stopped making dumb mistakes, penalties and the offense and line gelled enough to be more consistent.

That's what I saw last night, not a "chip."

Fade

Reaction score
Nope. Mainly Pete Carroll just decided to be aggressive on offense for 4 qtrs. It's that simple.

I'm hoping the light bulb has finally come on for Pete, and he doesn't revert back to the ultra conservative approach at the start of games ever again. This mentality has cost the team so many games against lesser opponents over the years it is simply maddening, but with the team in a place where it can't really afford anymore losses I expect this is how they will play the rest of the year. They have no other choice really. It is the same pattern every year so it isn't that surprising.

Pete's post game comments were really encouraging, making a note of wanting to get off to a fast start. Yes, the same Pete that says you can't win the game in the 1st qtr, made it a point of emphasis to get off to a fast start. I have renewed hope in the season because it was the #1 problem for the team, and if it is a point of emphasis the rest of the year the Seahawks will have a special season. Pete cannot revert back though, fingers crossed.

I will say though the chip thing is there for the defense a little bit. They have been hearing for 2.5 weeks that they are done, old, and washed up.

I find the defense old comment damn funny. They only have 2 starters over the age of 30, Mike B, and Avril who isn't even playing.

Seymour

Reaction score
No, they still had it.

They cut down the penalties, called and coached a better game, and executed when it counted.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I wouldn't call missing Sherm & Kam a blessing in disguise. But the one positive from injuries, if any is that it forces other players to prove something. Most times that fails, but I'm happy to see that we're not a dumpster fire so far

I still say that when on though, Kam & Sherm are amazing and I'd love to have them back.

But not having them allows us to take the reigns off Russell a bit, and it adds a chip to our defense. Not having a running game also adds a chip to people like Mike Davis. And our O-line seems determined to get better. Gritty guys battling out there

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":4mhru68g said:
I wouldn't call missing Sherm & Kam a blessing in disguise. But the one positive from injuries, if any is that it forces other players to prove something. Most times that fails, but I'm happy to see that we're not a dumpster fire so far

I still say that when on though, Kam & Sherm are amazing and I'd love to have them back.

But not having them allows us to take the reigns off Russell a bit, and it adds a chip to our defense. Not having a running game also adds a chip to people like Mike Davis. And our O-line seems determined to get better. Gritty guys battling out there

It's the nature of sports, you don't know how younger unproven players will play until.................they play.

It's how the LOB became the LOB. Now it's time for the next group of young players like Carson, Davis, Pocic, Griffin, Vannett, Richardson, Jefferson, Reed, etc to step up and prove they belong.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I don't think the chip has anything to do with it. Simply put, I think the personality of this team is just that they are grinders. I wasn't surprised that the Eagles got drawn into a streetfight. That's what the Seahawks do. It's why pathetic teams like the Niners are able to be competitive in games against us. We pull them into a slugfest. :rumble:

I feel we are capable of beating any team in this league, Patriots included. And I think we are equally capable of losing to awful teams like the Niners or the Bears. Even the Colts hung around for an uncomfortable portion of the game until we blew them out in the second half.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes us dangerous if we can get to the playoffs. It means we should have a chance to win every game. But it also means the margin of victory can be extremely slim at times. It takes heroic plays by Earl Thomas and Sheldon Richardson and Russell Wilson.

But there it is. That's our team. They're a December team. They're grinders. And I think most teams would rather face just about anyone else in the playoffs than us.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
To use a crude but clear analogy, my fear is that we blew our load against Philly, and are going to come out limp against the Jags. I'm not saying we will! I'm just concerned. But! If we can put two games like that together, then yes, I'd say we're back and should scare the hell out of anyone in the NFC. Especially if we put a third game together against the Rams after that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1ie6aaiy said:
To use a crude by clear analogy, my fear is that we blew our load against Philly, and are going to come out limp against the Jags. I'm not saying we will! I'm just concerned. But! If we can put two games like that together, then yes, I'd say we're back and should scare the hell out of anyone in the NFC. Especially if we put a third game together against the Rams after that.

Not saying we still might not lose to the Jags, their D is for real, but I can't see a scenario where we come out flat. This team is too veteran, and now too hyper focused on the playoffs and proving their critics wrong............which is what this core group thrives on.

Teams that play flat in December are young teams and coaches that put all their eggs in one basket for one game. It'd be VERY uncharacteristic of a Carroll team, and especially like I said THIS group of players that knows what's up come December.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1y3gzbfq said:
I felt good when we beat NE last year too and we saw what happened. This upcoming game against the Jags will tell a lot. Lets enjoy this win, but lets not get to comfortable.

Good point. That NE game had too many talking season-changer.
It wasn't. The Hawks were playoff pretenders last season.
They likely are again, but I'm holding out hope some positives vibes are brewing...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They clearly used the underdog thing to their advantage. You could see it from the first play, they were very focused for 4 quarters.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
100% spot on OP. The collective chip has always been this team's Qi or Life Force.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2t0te9vd said:
No, they still had it.

They cut down the penalties, called and coached a better game, and executed when it counted.

I tend to agree with Seymore more than a magical mystical increase in play because of a “We don’t get no respect” mindset.

As with most (maybe all) teams if they, as he so elegantly stated “.... cut down the penalties, called and coached a better game, and executed when it counted.”, they can beat any team, anywhere, at any time.