To those who think the OL isn't dramatically improving

hawknation2017

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/937749055110860800[/tweet]

mistaowen

Reaction score
Duane is still learning how to play with a QB like Russell. Couple plays it was clear he expected Russ to step forward and instead he spun away and back, making it look like he was beat. He has been very impressive so far though and I imagine a full off season with him teaching the youngins will be huge.

Side note - Lane Johnson is a really, really good RT for the Eagles. He was on an island against Michael Bennett and held his own. Their whole line is really good in general and the Hawks still had some insane pressure all night.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Luke Joeckel was awful on Seattle's second drive. He was improving before his injury but may need to shake off some rust again. Superior in the run game, tho.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pay Brown whatever he wants. We can't go back to Fant/Odhiambo.....................WE CAN'T............WE WON'T!!!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I am not necessarily down on the players but more the scheme. I stated before when 2-3 guys come in untouched consistently there is either a severe communication problem and or a scheme problem. I vote for a bad scheme. What is interesting is Cable may be good at coaching up layers but obviously horrible a calling line plays.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I do think the OL is improving, mostly because of the play of Brown and Pocic. The problem is that Joeckel and Ifedi are still rubbish. But, at least that is only two trash players instead of four. So yeah, that's improvement!

I think the bottom line here is that Cable is unable to adequately judge young talent. Duane Brown was a no brainer, JS didn't need anyone else to tell him that. Jury is still out on Pocic but I think the kid has potential and is already better than Ifedi, Glowinski and Joeckel. He's at least passable, which is a huge upgrade!

I think if we can focus on getting quality FA's like Brown, and shying away from trash like Joeckel, we can turn this line around right quick. Until we get someone else to evaluate draft talent on the OL, though, I would refrain from drafting anyone else on the OL.

Oh, and Fire Tom Cable. FIRE...TOM....CABLE!

adeltaY

Reaction score
Pass protection definitely seems better. They were always going to struggle against a front as talented and well coached as the Eagles', but they held up well enough. Man, Joeckel got ragdolled at least twice when Brandon Graham rushed from the interior against him.

xgeoff

Reaction score
adeltaY":17a1lzw6 said:
Pass protection definitely seems better. They were always going to struggle against a front as talented and well coached as the Eagles', but they held up well enough. Man, Joeckel got ragdolled at least twice when Brandon Graham rushed from the interior against him.

Exactly, and it made Brown look bad at times. Brown was doing his job in terms of guiding his rusher well to the outside, but Russ had to retreat so far back because Joeckel was getting ragdolled. If Joeckel could stand his ground, Russ could step up and Brown would create a nice pocket for him. Of course that assumes Ifedi does his job as well, which is a stretch...

907Hawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":3v12vocf said:
I do think the OL is improving, mostly because of the play of Brown and Pocic. The problem is that Joeckel and Ifedi are still rubbish. But, at least that is only two trash players instead of four. So yeah, that's improvement!

I think the bottom line here is that Cable is unable to adequately judge young talent. Duane Brown was a no brainer, JS didn't need anyone else to tell him that. Jury is still out on Pocic but I think the kid has potential and is already better than Ifedi, Glowinski and Joeckel. He's at least passable, which is a huge upgrade!

I think if we can focus on getting quality FA's like Brown, and shying away from trash like Joeckel, we can turn this line around right quick. Until we get someone else to evaluate draft talent on the OL, though, I would refrain from drafting anyone else on the OL.

This looks like most offensive line post on dot net, calling players rubbish and trash and our staff is not able to evaluate talent, the always classic fire Cable in all caps for affect, do you just cut and past these posts from the previous weeks thread or write a new one? Players get beaten in every game, do I see improvement, hell yes I do. :irishdrinkers:

xgeoff

Reaction score
907Hawk":3mscaziy said:
xgeoff":3mscaziy said:

This looks like most offensive line post on dot net, calling players rubbish and trash and our staff is not able to evaluate talent, the always classic fire Cable in all caps for affect, do you just cut and past these posts from the previous weeks thread or write a new one? Players get beaten in every game, do I see improvement, hell yes I do. :irishdrinkers:

LOL, this is original content, not just cut and paste! And I fully acknowledge improvement on the Line from Duane Brown and Ethan Pocic. And there is a lot of evidence to support the general feelings about the line, some of it statistical and some of it just anecdotal.

But here is what I know: we have spent a ton of draft capital on line talent that just hasn't worked out: Glowinski, Poole, Ifedi, Carpenter, Odhiambo, etc. Who does that talent eval? I am assuming it is Cable, do you know otherwise?

And yes, other teams have OL problems. Like Baltimore, who is generally thought to have a poor Offensive Line. Have you seen them play? Night and day compared to ours. Night and day. And look at Alex Collins run behind that poor OL in Baltimore. He looks like a superstar. What did he look like here? Not much.

So here's the thing. You can see improvement with the line. I see it too. But if you're telling me that Joeckel and Ifedi are anything other than trash, I think you're just not paying close attention to the line play, nor are you watching games around the league to see how other teams play.

I am watching, I am evaluating, I am giving credit where credit is due (ie Good job Duane Brown and Ethan Pocic). And I see some very poor play and some very poor coaching in this unit.

tersal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ehwx6i2 said:
Pay Brown whatever he wants. We can't go back to Fant/Odhiambo.....................WE CAN'T............WE WON'T!!!
To hard on Fant without seeing him.
Remember Fant was an undrafted rookie a project they were high on him I would have liked to have seen him his 2nd year, He was definitely better than Sowell and Bradley last year. If Fant can come back strong then him and Brown will start at the tackle spots next year may turn out nice. Ifedi and Pocic at guards also I think with his experience ODHIAMBO may work out at his most natural position guard,. He lacks the stuff for tackle.

tersal

Reaction score
:3-1:
hawknation2017":32em2fkr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/937749055110860800[/tweet]
Also finally the run game with our backs is actually showing a pulse.

907Hawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":332iguvi said:
907Hawk":332iguvi said:
xgeoff":332iguvi said:

LOL, this is original content, not just cut and paste! And I fully acknowledge improvement on the Line from Duane Brown and Ethan Pocic. And there is a lot of evidence to support the general feelings about the line, some of it statistical and some of it just anecdotal.

But here is what I know: we have spent a ton of draft capital on line talent that just hasn't worked out: Glowinski, Poole, Ifedi, Carpenter, Odhiambo, etc. Who does that talent eval? I am assuming it is Cable, do you know otherwise?

And yes, other teams have OL problems. Like Baltimore, who is generally thought to have a poor Offensive Line. Have you seen them play? Night and day compared to ours. Night and day. And look at Alex Collins run behind that poor OL in Baltimore. He looks like a superstar. What did he look like here? Not much.

So here's the thing. You can see improvement with the line. I see it too. But if you're telling me that Joeckel and Ifedi are anything other than trash, I think you're just not paying close attention to the line play, nor are you watching games around the league to see how other teams play.

I am watching, I am evaluating, I am giving credit where credit is due (ie Good job Duane Brown and Ethan Pocic). And I see some very poor play and some very poor coaching in this unit.

I was mostly referring to the general tone of the post. As far as the players go and the evaluation process, the players you named range over a 7 year period and conveniently leave out guys who have been fairly decent NFL players, also not ready to give up on Ifedi as a player and would never call an NFL player trash as I don't believe it is warranted. I have watched the Ravens play several times this year, they ran the ball 9 straight times on a drive in the 4th Quarter to close out a win against the Raiders, AC was running through gaping holes. I would love to see the Hawks play this type of football again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
tersal":26sug4y9 said:
Sgt. Largent":26sug4y9 said:
Remember Fant was an undrafted rookie a project they were high on him I would have liked to have seen him his 2nd year, He was definitely better than Sowell and Bradley last year. If Fant can come back strong then him and Brown will start at the tackle spots next year may turn out nice. Ifedi and Pocic at guards also I think with his experience ODHIAMBO may work out at his most natural position guard,. He lacks the stuff for tackle.

I saw him, all of last year.

Don't cloud your judgement on Fant because he hasn't played all year forgetting that he was one of the worst LT's in the league last year.

He's nowhere near the LT that Brown is, and probably never will be. Doesn't mean Fant doesn't have value as a backup on this team, but Brown is a top 5-7 LT, pay the man as such and lets get back to running the damn football and not having Russell run for his life 80% of the time.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Each individual player and the o-line as a single unit will continue to get better the more they play together. They start to know each other's moves and start to trust each other. It's important to figure out who your starters are, then let them get reps/game exp together as early as possible. The new guy looks like a great acquisition! Is Schneid a genuis, or what? He also got Richardson. With 3/4s of the LOB out, these moves and others are starting to look like season-savers.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
O-Line is better - but then again, hard to get much worse than it was.

It might gel into something consistently competent next season. I hope so. RW could really shine with some more trust in his guys to give him a little time - though to be fair, sometimes he squirts out of the pocket a second or two too soon but I don't blame him after the trauma of last season and earlier this season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I can't wait to see Fant next year- with him learning from Big Walt.
I think he will be better the Ifedi for sure.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
All I Know is that some of the offensive line need to study Lane Johnson.. that guy was beasting.. made Bennett look like a rag doll.

tersal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":169fto5x said:
tersal":169fto5x said:
Sgt. Largent":169fto5x said:

I saw him, all of last year.

Don't cloud your judgement on Fant because he hasn't played all year forgetting that he was one of the worst LT's in the league last year.

He's nowhere near the LT that Brown is, and probably never will be. Doesn't mean Fant doesn't have value as a backup on this team, but Brown is a top 5-7 LT, pay the man as such and lets get back to running the damn football and not having Russell run for his life 80% of the time.
I am not comparing Brown and Fant my point is he was a rookie project.
There are plenty of NFL stories were players improve dramatically over an off-season. I understand he muscledup and worked with Walter Jones also for what it is worth Joeckel was penciled in as the starting LT Fant beat him out. Again for what it is worth.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
You just need to see how Brown blocks the DL in front of him. It is not even close. The guy is a pro. It is just amazing the difference between Brown and the other guys. I wonder what if Brown was brought in earlier in the year.