NFC Playoff Picture and Scenarios (Week 14)

Polaris

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It's that time of year again. The weather is getting colder, Christmas is around the corner, AND IT'S PLAYOFF SCENARIO time once again! Because the Seahawks are right in the middle of the NFC playoff pictures with the (hopefully) assent of the Moderators, I will post my NFC Playoff picture post in the Official Forums section. I will also post an accompanying AFC section for those interested in the NFL General forums here. As always the following letters may be found after some teams:

UPDATE: 9PM PST 12/7/17 after Saints lose to Falcons on TNF.

*--Clinched Home field
z--Clinched no worse than 2nd seed (First round bye)
y--Won Division (sometimes by a number if particular seed clinched)
x--Clinched Playoff spot of any type
e--Eliminated from Playoff Consideration

With all of that said, let's get this started with a division by division look starting with the NFC East:

Eagles 10-2 8-1 Conf 4-0 Div Remaining: @Rams, @Giants, Raiders, Cowboys
Cowboys 6-6 5-4 Conf 3-1 Div Remaining: @Giants, @Raiders, Seahawks, @Eagles
Redskins 5-7 4-6 Conf 1-4 Div Remaining: @Chargers, Cardinals, Broncos, @Giants
Giants (e) 2-10 0-8 Conf 0-3 Div Remaining: Cowboys, Eagles, @Cardinals, Redskins

Clinching Scenarios: Although the Eagles got bounced from the #1 seed thanks to their loss to Seattle, they actually have an easier path to the playoffs than Minnesota. Specifically if the Eagles win or tie *OR* the Cowboys lose or tie, then the Eagles are NFC East Champs. Why? The Cowboys are the only team that can catch the eagles and only if the eagles lose out and the Cowboys win out.

Elimination Scenarios: The Giants are already (obviously) eliminated. The Redskins are barely breathing because the best they can do is finish 9-7 and the minimum record for any playoff team in the NFC is 8-8 right now. Their only hope is to win out and hope Seattle either loses out or loses 3 out of 4, so they could get the head to head for the last WC spot. That means that if Washington loses this Sunday and both Seattle and Carolina win, Washington is eliminated since the minimum to get any NFC playoff spot would be increased to nine games and the best Washington could finish would be 8-8. The cowboys can be eliminated from NFC East Title contention with an Eagle win and/or Cowboy loss. They can not be removed from playoff contention in week 14. Edit Addendum: Washington is also eliminated if they lose and both Seattle and Atlanta win. Because Atlanta only plays NFLS teams, they would either wind up having more than 8 wins or force another non-Division champ to have more than 8 wins eliminating Washington.

Now let's move on to the NFC North:

Vikings 10-2 8-1 Conf 3-1 Div Remaining: @Panthers, Bengals, @Packers, Bears
Lions 6-6 5-4 Conf 3-1 Div Remaining: @Bucs, Bears, @Bengals, Packers
Packers 6-6 5-4 Conf 2-2 Div Remaining: @Browns, @Panthers, Vikings, @Lions
Bears (e) 3-9 1-9 Conf 0-4 Div Remaining: @Bengals, @Lions, Browns, @Vikings

Clinching Scenarios: Thanks to Seattle's win last night, the Vikings now hold the number one seed over the Eagles thanks to the Strength of Victory tie-breaker. However that may not last since the Vikings have a bit more of a challenge in the division (having lost a division game) AND Green Bay seems to be getting their QB back very soon. However, the Vikings have built a big enough lead that they can clinch the NFC North with a win (or tie) this Sunday OR if both Green bay and Detroit Lose (or tie). It is worth noting that a three way tie is not possible since the Lions and Packers play each other the last week of the season. If the Vikings lose out and either Green Bay OR Detroit wins out, the Vikings lose the division and risk being out of the playoffs. So in short: If the Vikings win (or tie), they are NFC North Champs. Also if Detroit loses (or ties) AND Green Bay loses (or ties), the Vikings are also NFC North Champs.

Elimination Scenarios: The Bears are already eliminated since you need to be able to finish at 8-8 minimum and the bears can't make it. Thanks to a week one win vs Seattle, Green Bay can not be eliminated from playoff contention even if they lose. Likewise the Lions can not be eliminated.

Now let's move on to the NFC South:

Saints 9-4 7-3 Conf 3-1 Div Remaining: Jets, Falcons, @Bucs
Panthers 8-4 4-4 Conf 2-2 Div Remaining: Vikings, Packers, Bucs, @Falcons
Falcons 8-5 7-2 Conf 2-1 Div Remaining: @Bucs, @Saints, Panthers
Bucs 4-8 2-6 Conf 0-3 Div Remaining: Lions, Falcons, @Carolina, Saints

Clinching Scenarios: None. (Correction, see edit below) Most of the NFC South Play each other and are within two games of each other (save the Bucs). That means that the Saints, Panthers, AND Falcons all control their own destinies. In short, it's a dogfight. Edit Correction: The panthers do not technically control their own fate since they got swept by the Saints. Panthers still very much in the hunt for the NFCS but the Panthers would have to finish with a better record than the Saints by some fashion. Both the Saints and Altanta DO control their NFCS destinies. Edit Correction: New Orleans can clinch a playoff spot (but not division) with a win against Atlanta *AND* one of the following:

1. A Panther Loss + Lions Loss OR Cowboy Loss
2. Lions Loss + Packers Loss

This is similar to how the Rams can clinch (see below). Essentially if these things happen, either New Orleans wins the South, or they finish with a 10-6 record and have tie breaks against all but one other possible WC teams with potential 10-6 records.
Atlanta beat the Saints 20-17 on 12/7/17

Elimination Scenario: There is just one elimination scenario. If Tampa Bay loses (or ties) OR if Carolina wins (or ties), then Tampa Bay is eliminated from the playoffs. Tampa Bay is already eliminated from the NFC South. [Even if Seattle loses out and Tampa Bay wins out, Seattle is would be 2-2 in common games and Tampa would be 2-3, so Tampa loses any possible tiebreak with Seattle.] Edit Addendum: There is another elimination scenario: If Atlanta loses to the Saints, they are eliminated from the NFC South title race. Falcons won 20-17 over Saints on 12/7/17

And now finally the division you all have been waiting for: The NFC West:

Rams 9-3 6-3 Conf 3-1 Div Remaining: Eagles, @Seahawks, @Titans, Niners
Seahawks 8-4 6-3 Conf 4-0 Div Remaining: @Jax, Rams, @Cowboys, Cardinals
Cardinals 5-7 3-6 Conf 2-3 Div Remaining: Titans, @Redskins, Giants, @Seahawks
Niners (e) 2-10 2-9 Conf 0-5 Div Remaining: @Texans, Titans, Jax, @Rams

Clinching Scenarios: None. (see edit) Like the NFC South, the NFC West is a true dogfight between the LA Rams and Seattle Seahawks and although the Rams currently have a one game edge, Seattle has beaten the Rams, has an easier schedule down the stretch, AND has the better division record. I don't see the NFC West being settled before week 16 at the earliest. Edit: There is a scenario where the LA Rams clinch a playoff spot. This can happen if and only if all the following happen: LA Rams Win AND Panthers lose + Falcons lose + Lions lose/tie + Packers lose/tie + Cowboys lose/tie. Falcons beat Saints 20-17 on 12/7/17 meaning Rams can't clinch

Elimination Scenarios: The Niners have already been eliminated (and were since they lost their second game to Seattle). If the Cardinals lose (or tie) AND (both) Seattle AND Carolina both win (or tie), then the Cards are eliminated from the playoffs altogether (since in this case it would take a 9-7 record to make the playoffs and the best the Cards could do is 8-8). Because Arizona lost to the LA Rams last Sunday, they are ELIMINATED from the NFC West Crown contention. Why? The absolute best the Cards can finish is 9-7 and the absolute worst the Rams can finish is 9-7 and the Rams have beaten the Cards twice. So the only hope the Cards would have would be a three way tie to void the head to head, and that would have to involve Seattle in a 9-7 three way tie. However in that case, Seattle with a 5-1 division record would beat out both the Rams and Cards with a 3-3 Division record for each. Since this is the only way the Cardinals can tie for first place in the NFC West, they are eliminated.

Whew! I hope this clarifies the NFC Playoff picture for everyone. I have to say that Seattle's chances for the playoffs, but it's far from a done deal yet. That Eagles win was huuuge.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Week 14 will decide the playoff picture. The Eagles, Vikings, and Saints won't be losing anything after that, so I doubt the NFC West winner will be able to attain anything higher than the #4 seed, honestly.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The beauty of this tight race means that week 17 isn't a "week off" for any team. Games will remain competitive until the ever end, as it should be.

original poster

Reaction score
Great post, thanks.

Playoff picture threads are my favourite type of thread this time of year.

original poster

Reaction score
With 75% of the season done, it's time to start discussing the NFC playoffs in depth, looking at the teams schedules, predicting wins and losses etc.

Lets focus on these teams -

Minnesota
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Carolina
LA
Atlanta
Seattle

Week 14

New Orleans VS Atlanta - Atlanta win
Minnesota VS Carolina - Carolina win
Seattle VS Jacksonville - Seattle win
Philadelphia VS LA - LA win

That scenario would put the playoff picture as follows -

1st seed - Philidephia - 10-3
2nd seed - Minnesota - 10-3
3rd seed - LA - 10-3
4th seed - New Orleans - 9-4
5th seed - Seattle - 9-4
6th seed - Carolina - 0-4

outside of playoffs - Atlanta - 8-5

Week 15

Green Bay VS Carolina - Carolina win
Bengals VS Minnesota - Minnesota win
NY Jets VS New Orleans - New Orleans win
Philadelphia VS NY Giants - Philadelphia win
LA VS Seattle - Seattle win
Atlanta VS Tampa Bay - Atlanta win

Seeding would now look as follows -

1st seed - Philidephia - 11-3
2nd seed - Minnesota - 11-3
3rd seed - Seattle - 10-4
4th seed - New Orleans - 10-4
5th seed - LA - 10-4
6th seed - Carolina - 10-4

Outside of the playoffs - Atlanta - 9-5

Week 16

Minnesota VS Green Bay - Green Bay win
Tampa Bay VS Carolina - Carolina win
Atlanta VS New Orleans - Atlanta win
LA VS Tennessee - LA win
Seattle VS Dallas - Seattle win
Oakland VS Philadelphia - Philadelphia win

1st seed - Philidephia - 12-3
2nd seed - Minnesota - 11-4
3rd seed - Seattle - 11-4
4th seed - Carolina - 11-4
5th seed - LA - 11-4
6th seed - Atlanta - 10-5

Outside of the playoffs - New Orleans - 10-5

Week 17

Carolina VS Atlanta - Atlanta win
Chicago VS Minnesota - Minnesota win
Dallas VS Philadelphia - Philadelphia win*
New Orleans VS Tampa Bay - New Orleans win
San Fran VS LA - LA Win
Arizona VS Seattle - Seattle win

1st seed - Philidephia - 13-3
2nd seed - Minnesota - 12-4
3rd seed - Seattle - 12-4
4th seed - Atlanta - 11-5**
5th seed - LA - 12-4**
6th seed - Atlanta - 10-5

Outside of the playoffs - New Orleans - 10-5

*IF Dallas can pull the upset off against Philadelphia here, Minnesota slides to the 1st seed, Seattle to the 2nd and Philadelphia to the 3rd

**I'm fairly certain here that despite LA having the better overall record that a non division winner can only get the 5th or 6th seed, please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, Seattle can drop one more game and still be in the playoffs, likely the 5th or 6th seed.

Realistically, the 3rd seed is likely

With a little bit of luck and winning out a first round bye is still very much in the mix!

Thoughts, predictions most welcome!

aredub

Reaction score
Man, you guys are good at this. I'd love to see the scenario where the Rams lose to the Eagles this weekend and we win ni Jax. Right now I just want the NFC West title. So Rams losing for me is what I'd like to see happen.

seedhawk

Reaction score
How is this for a playoff picture?

\Hawks win out, go 12-4.
Rams go 3-1, only lose to Hawks, 12-4
Eagles lose to Rams and 1 other, 12-4
Carolina wins out, 12-4
Vikings lose 1 after Carolina 12-4
Saints lose 1 game to Falcons, 12-4

While totally unlikely, how would the tie breakers work out?

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Given all this who should the Seattle fan root for?

1. Obviously we need to root for Seattle. In truth, if there is any one game the Seahawks could drop and not be badly affected for a playoff spot, this week's game against Jax is it, but the margin is so tight that it's not worth taking it for granted.

2. We want to root for the Eagles (and not-so-coincidentally root for the Rams to lose). Not only does this put Seattle back on top of the division with the rematch looming, but it also prevents the Rams from possibly clinching a playoff spot and knocks the Cowboys out of NFC East title contention as well.

3. We probably want to root for the Saints this game. An Atlanta loss puts them nearly out of NFC South contention and makes a WC spot very difficult.

4. I would say we want to root against the Panthers even if it means a delay in Seattle clinching a spot. Basically the more internecine damage the South teams do to each other, the better for us.

5. Root against the Packers and Lions. Not only does this settle the NFC North early (giving the Vikings less to play for), but it also pushes teams with tie break advantages with Seattle further down the que.

Just my thoughts.

original poster

Reaction score
seedhawk":3glg2vf2 said:
How is this for a playoff picture?

\Hawks win out, go 12-4.
Rams go 3-1, only lose to Hawks, 12-4
Eagles lose to Rams and 1 other, 12-4
Carolina wins out, 12-4
Vikings lose 1 after Carolina 12-4
Saints lose 1 game to Falcons, 12-4

While totally unlikely, how would the tie breakers work out?

It would look as follows -

1st Seed - Minnesota - 12-4
2nd Seed - New Orleans - 12-4
3rd Seed - Seattle - 12-4
4th Seed - Philly - 12-4
5th Seed - LA - 12-4
6th Seed - Carolina - 12-4

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
aredub":3d1wvl95 said:
I'd love to see the scenario where the Rams lose to the Eagles this weekend and we win ni Jax. Right now I just want the NFC West title.

The Rams only need to lose to us in order to hand us the division, so I'd rather see the Rams beat the Eagles. Brings the Eagles down to where we can get a higher division seed because of our win over them.

We also need to root for Dallas so they'll smell playoff blood when they hit Philly in Week 17, and we need to root for...

IND
SF
CLE
CIN
LAC
DEN
ARI
PIT
NE

...for strength-of-victory implications.

adeltaY

Reaction score
But if we beat Dallas, they won't have a shot at the playoffs. I'm sure they'd still love to play spoiler...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":3jmuvgv7 said:
But if we beat Dallas, they won't have a shot at the playoffs. I'm sure they'd still love to play spoiler...

They might. Atlanta and Carolina have tough schedules ahead (and they play each other). I doubt GB or DET get a whiff.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Atlanta just upset the Saints on TNF on the first game of week 14. I will update my chart above to reflect this.

This is arguably a good result for Seattle but it DOES mean that Seattle needs to win vs Jax or be at least temporarily forced from the playoff picture.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Needed the Panthers to lose to the Vikings. Seahawks have a better conference record (from a WC perspective) than Panthers but that didn't happen and the Panthers are now 9-4.