Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Homerism in the media

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Homerism in the media
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
  • https://sports.yahoo.com/carson-wentz-b ... 56044.html

Look at this idiotic POS written by a "journalist" from Philadelphia.

Some gems from the article.

"...Not Doug Pederson. Not the officials. The Seahawks didn't even beat the Eagles – not as much as Wentz lost it, anyway."

"...The Eagles should've won, perhaps with ease. But Wentz overthrew Nelson Agholor on a likely touchdown..."

Is it my "homerism" speaking, or are the writers covering the Seahawks more neutral and smarter than others?
    soje
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Homerism in the media
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm
  • soje wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/carson-wentz-blame-eagles-loss-175756044.html

Look at this idiotic POS written by a "journalist" from Philadelphia.

Some gems from the article.

"...Not Doug Pederson. Not the officials. The Seahawks didn't even beat the Eagles – not as much as Wentz lost it, anyway."

"...The Eagles should've won, perhaps with ease. But Wentz overthrew Nelson Agholor on a likely touchdown..."

Is it my "homerism" speaking, or are the writers covering the Seahawks more neutral and smarter than others?

It's Philly.. home of brotherly love. They tend to be homers about all their team.. they praise them in one breath and curse the hell out of them in another.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:24 pm
  • I don’t think our journalists are that good, either.

They are pandering to their local market for clicks etc. pretty standard. I mean, Philly fans don’t really want to read an article about how Russell Wilson is an MVP over Wentz a day after a serious butt kicking.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 pm
  • Philly is one of the most brutal places to be a athlete fans and media, toss up with them in NY.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:27 pm
  • I read one by a Philly beat writer where they obviously had the better offense, defense and QB. There is a lot of delusion in that town apparenty. Wilson over Wentz, Defense well that showed to be Seattle over them. Offense yes they had looked good all season, then they got themselves into a brawl with a defense and scored ten, seven of those came on a uncalled illegal pick .
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:27 pm
  • It would be brutal to be a pro athlete in Philly. They sure love themselves some front running there.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:16 am
  • Nothing here is even close to the shit Mark Kiszla tries to pass for a column in the Denver Post. He is the king of homer beat writers. According to him, the coin toss beat the Broncos 3 years ago in Seattle.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:35 am
  • That's the east coast for ya. I think our local media is equally as bad just in reverse. Regardless of population we function more as a small market.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:30 am
  • I did a brief stint as a writer for a now defunct sports site and we were encouraged to stir the pot. That's how much of sports journalism works now. Stats and recaps don't get clicks--see how you've linked all of us to his site? He's getting exactly what he wanted.

Hell, ESPN has like three channels now all devoted to arguing. If no one is a contrarian, there's nothing to talk about. So if you're looking for everyone to stroke your team's ego, it's never going to happen, by design. It's what keep you reading/watching.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 am
  • WindCityHawk wrote:I did a brief stint as a writer for a now defunct sports site and we were encouraged to stir the pot. That's how much of sports journalism works now. Stats and recaps don't get clicks--see how you've linked all of us to his site? He's getting exactly what he wanted.

Hell, ESPN has like three channels now all devoted to arguing. If no one is a contrarian, there's nothing to talk about. So if you're looking for everyone to stroke your team's ego, it's never going to happen, by design. It's what keep you reading/watching.

There are also genuine idiots. See: "Pete has to go" thread.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:01 am
  • Those are some homerish comments for sure.

But they have merit in the sense that this was a very even game.

I find it very interesting how the national narrative was that the Seahawks blew the game against the Falcons, but the Falcons had the lead most of the game. I never got the memo that the Hawks outplayed the Falcons.

From the eye test, Wentz was not "shut down" by any means.

And having watched a million prime time games where the Hawks host at Century Link, missed opportunities are huge.

The Eagles looked a lot better than they did last year in Seattle.

They will be fine. Even dare I say in a postseason rematch if it had to be at Century Link.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am
  • Most games, that are reasonably close, have three or four plays that could change the score or the outcome of the game.

Pointing them out is what fans, or the media for these fans, do everyday.

It’s certainly not new, different, or selective to any one team.
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:24 am
  • Happens with every team. The Philly stuff isnt a one off deal.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am
  • Wentz experienced a regression similar to the one we forced from Jared Goff in September. Not total, but enough to make him less accurate and rob him of enough crucial plays.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am
  • Myopic east coast media homer at it's finest.

No one could have watched this game and not come away with the Hawks were just better in all phases. Wentz, Petersen, the refs, all were factors........but none of that costs the Eagles the game.

We whooped em, plain and simple.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Wentz experienced a regression similar to the one we forced from Jared Goff in September. Not total, but enough to make him less accurate and rob him of enough crucial plays.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't really have an issue with pointing out a player that under performs and blaming that for the loss (Walsh), but there were reasons Wentz had trouble, Seahawk D for instance. Article doesn't mention that at all, which for a Philly (or any hometown) writer is not unexpected.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Wentz experienced a regression similar to the one we forced from Jared Goff in September. Not total, but enough to make him less accurate and rob him of enough crucial plays.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't really have an issue with pointing out a player that under performs and blaming that for the loss (Walsh), but there were reasons Wentz had trouble, Seahawk D for instance. Article doesn't mention that at all, which for a Philly (or any hometown) writer is not unexpected.

To be fair to Wentz, Goff and just about every good to great QB we play..............our D is VERY tough to succeed against.

Wentz even talked about it in his mid week interview before the game. He said what everyone knows about our D, he said our defensive scheme with Earl in a one high safety literally takes away half your playbook.

That was compounded by the Hawks getting out ahead 10-0 and forcing Wentz and the Eagle's offense to abandon the run............which again when our D-Line can just pin their ears back? It's devastating, especially at home.

So I wouldn't say Wentz regressed, or isn't the QB everyone thought he was. He experienced what most QB's who come in here experience, a tough D and place to have offensive success.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 am
  • It's true that I linked to that garbage here, but it was to point out the homerism of the article, not because I thought it was worth a read. Ok, I guess every click counts, but I don't imagine it does any good to the writer's reputation.

I like my news to present a reasonable picture of the facts. I dislike excessive homerism even in message board posts.

WindCityHawk wrote:I did a brief stint as a writer for a now defunct sports site and we were encouraged to stir the pot. That's how much of sports journalism works now. Stats and recaps don't get clicks--see how you've linked all of us to his site? He's getting exactly what he wanted.

soje
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 am
  • Wentz had two "miracle plays", one of which was a pick, to score the one TD

Besides that they were completely contained the whole game

They had ONE bad call against them, they wasted 35 seconds by not challenging it and then it was to late and somehow they think they should have won the game because of that one call in a 14pt loss

They never moved the ball in a sustained and confident way - Seattle dominated all three aspects despite the yardage stats
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 am
  • NINEster wrote:Those are some homerish comments for sure.

But they have merit in the sense that this was a very even game.

I find it very interesting how the national narrative was that the Seahawks blew the game against the Falcons, but the Falcons had the lead most of the game. I never got the memo that the Hawks outplayed the Falcons.

From the eye test, Wentz was not "shut down" by any means.

And having watched a million prime time games where the Hawks host at Century Link, missed opportunities are huge.

The Eagles looked a lot better than they did last year in Seattle.

They will be fine. Even dare I say in a postseason rematch if it had to be at Century Link.

And missed opportunities were huge for us against the Falcons too. We were in position to tie that game and lost by 3 points as time expired. Philly lost by 10.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm
  • East coast is full of arses for sure, but the vast majority of football fans are player worshiping, particularly QB worshiping, almost gang related religious nutjobs.

I don't really think much different when people here ask stupid questions or day stupid things about RW. It's like politics. 2 + 2 doesn't ACTUALLY = 4 because of whichiver dumb cattle reason. Facts don't matter. Only belief and full on man worship.

Same ish, different gang. Blood in blood out, holmes.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:41 pm
  • The reality in this league these days is a missed opportunity or 2 in a game and the score can end up being unflattering or way too flattering to your team but games tend to be pretty close so if you want to find an angle that supports your team you can usually find it. Most fans don't want to hear our team stinks, we were lucky to have put points on the board you want to hear the "experts" say we were right there if not for a bad bounce
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:The only universe where Wentz should be ahead of Wilson in the MVP race is one that gives points for being on the east coast and being in a larger media market. Unfortunately, that appears to be the universe we're in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ards-races

Yeah. I always thought the definition of "MVP" was the player that did the most to help his team win. Wilson kind of defines that this season. Hard to win it from far Egypt, though.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:The only universe where Wentz should be ahead of Wilson in the MVP race is one that gives points for being on the east coast and being in a larger media market. Unfortunately, that appears to be the universe we're in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ards-races

The MVP race is not settled in one game, it's over the course of a season.

Wilson and Wentz's stats are very close..........so if Wentz picks right back up where he left off before coming here, and leads his team to the #1 seed? Then yeah, you gotta consider him for MVP.

Personally I think as of now Russell deserves it, he IS our offense right now, to the tune of 80% of it. IMO that's what an MVP is. But that's not how some voters vote, it's more about who's the best player on a great team (best record, top seed, etc).
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Personally I think as of now Russell deserves it, he IS our offense right now, to the tune of 80% of it. IMO that's what an MVP is. But that's not how some voters vote, it's more about who's the best player on a great team (best record, top seed, etc).

Exactly. What's the definition of MVP?
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:19 pm
  • East Coast has most the writers that Vote, they still have more media outlets and more touted writers, they are more consolidated in a specific area, we are Seattle the next big center is in California. Really hard to sway things unless the dominance is off the charts. Why Heisman is hard to win on the West Coast also unless your just a full head better then anything East.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:East Coast has most the writers that Vote, they still have more media outlets and more touted writers, they are more consolidated in a specific area, we are Seattle the next big center is in California. Really hard to sway things unless the dominance is off the charts. Why Heisman is hard to win on the West Coast also unless your just a full head better then anything East.

2/3rds of the people are on that eastern seaboard. 2/3rds of the food is in the west. Gotta prioritize.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:25 am
  • They got kicked around, and lost by 2 touchdowns. Suck it up, buttercup. And their fans at the stadium were obnoxious as always. Loved seeing the angry looks on their faces all night.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information