Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Who should we pay?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Who should we pay?
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm
  • We have a few players coming due for new contracts in that next two years. Who would you like to see kept around with a nice payday from the Seahawks?


    Sheldon Richardsdon (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Duane Brown
    Earl Thomas
    Tyler Lockett

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3105
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Who should we pay?
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 pm
  • We tend to focus on the biggest impact players no matter the position. Overall, we pay talent, and that is what I see us continuing to do.

    Order of impact:

    Earl Thomas
    Duane Brown
    Sheldon Richardson (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Tyler Lockett
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)

    Of these I could see us prioritizing McDougal over Graham and Jockel over Richardson.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Veilside
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 756
    Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:29 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm
  • Sheldon and Graham will return us 3rd rd comp picks for sure.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3105
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:30 am
  • I don't think FO would care that much for Richardson, and McDougal would be kinda expensive as backup (5-6mill)

    IMO the order is

    1. Brown
    2. Graham.
    poly1274
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 57
    Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:07 am
  • This is really hard to say right now. For sure SR. Brown too but I worry about his age. If we can get 2-3 solid out of him pay him.
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3752
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 am
  • Veilside wrote:We tend to focus on the biggest impact players no matter the position. Overall, we pay talent, and that is what I see us continuing to do.

    Order of impact:

    Earl Thomas
    Duane Brown
    Sheldon Richardson (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Tyler Lockett
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)

    Of these I could see us prioritizing McDougal over Graham and Jockel over Richardson.


    You say we pay talent and then say we will pay Joekel. I have a hard time following that.
    User avatar
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10038
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 am
  • poly1274 wrote:I don't think FO would care that much for Richardson, and McDougal would be kinda expensive as backup (5-6mill)

    IMO the order is

    1. Brown
    2. Graham.


    McDougal will be interesring. I think a lot of it depends on what happens with Kam and how we feel about Hills progress.
    User avatar
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10038
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am
  • S Richardson
    Brown
    Graham
    Earl

    The rest can go.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1174
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:26 am
  • That's a good list. I for one would be kind of disappointed if we let Richardson get away.
    User avatar
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10038
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 am
  • Signing Sheldon would be great, just not so sure they will throw that sort of money at him.

    Jimmy gets a 3 year extension IMO.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 932
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 am
  • Brown has made huge impact so he must be the priority. Without him we might as well let JG walk too. With him JG is a redzone nightmare for our opponents. Without him Jimmy is a second bad tackle on one side. Sheldon after those two and McD next in priorities. Just no to Joke. The rest of the money is available.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3739
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 am
  • Re-signing Sheldon is gonna be really hard. DTs of his caliber command a pretty penny and our cap space will be tight. If the team knows that Malik McDowell can come back than I think that we let Sheldon walk. McDowell isn't the same exact player as Richardson but he would minimize the his loss. If McDowell is done for his career it makes the decision more difficult. I just don't know how we can sign Richardson while signing our other free agents and maintaining the cap space to eventually extend players like Frank Clark.
    seanmatt
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 137
    Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 am
  • Image

    Duane, Jimmy and Sheldon would be a priority for me.
    Blaze808
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:02 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:53 am
  • seahawkfreak wrote:This is really hard to say right now. For sure SR. Brown too but I worry about his age. If we can get 2-3 solid out of him pay him.


    Agreed. Pay heem. Pay dat myan his mahnee.
    User avatar
    Mindsink
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:05 am
  • Do we know yet what the cap will be doing in '18? All this speculation would be a little easier if we know how much money we have to play with.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16895
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 am
  • Sheldon Richardson has been the missing piece to the defense. Interior pressure has been awesome this year and he needs to be re-signed.

    Brown has single handedly improved the offensive line, I'd say he is essential going forward. Especially with his veteran presence in the offseason, he's essentially a coach on the field.

    Jimmy is finally being utilized correctly, I'd be much happier keeping him and his potential for 10+ TD's a year over some of the WR's.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3572
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:32 am
  • mistaowen wrote:Sheldon Richardson has been the missing piece to the defense. Interior pressure has been awesome this year and he needs to be re-signed.

    Brown has single handedly improved the offensive line, I'd say he is essential going forward. Especially with his veteran presence in the offseason, he's essentially a coach on the field.

    Jimmy is finally being utilized correctly, I'd be much happier keeping him and his potential for 10+ TD's a year over some of the WR's.


    I agree 100% with this post. I think it is obvious we win big games when we pressure the QB. When we don’t, we get carved up. So pay Richardson. I would also pay Brown. He’s good and even if he was 50 he’s better than the rest of the line combined (britt excluded) regardless of what combination you put out there. Graham is a red zone monster and you pay for that. Plus I like that stupid TD celebration they all do and it is good for team morale.

    I have concerns about McDowell if he is healthy and using him as the excuse to let SR walk. He is unproven and could easily end up being the next Rawls. You have a stud in SR at a position we are built around. Pay him.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1174
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:Sheldon and Graham will return us 3rd rd comp picks for sure.


    I prefer the multiple forced turnovers and 1 touchdown per game over a pair of high 4th round picks, myself.

    Also resign Earl, Bradley, and Brown. Joeckel depends on whether he regains the form he had before his injury.
    Last edited by MontanaHawk05 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16234
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am
  • Sheldon Richardson is a difference maker and I would prioritize re-signing him over pretty much anyone else on that list. Worst case scenario, I think we should franchise him & then collect the 3rd round comp pick if you can't fit in an extension the next year.

    Duane Brown is the player of greatest need. He is signed through next season but it would be wise to work out an extension. It will also be important to extend Earl Thomas.

    I would really like to see Bradley McDougald re-signed. I'm just not sold on Hill, and McDougald is a valuable player.

    Graham could go either way, depending on his market. He's leading the league in receiving TDs, which makes me think he won't be worth re-signing.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1212
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 am
  • 1. Brown needs to be kept.
    2. Jimmy can be Franchise Tagged.
    3. If we can keep S.Richardson we should move on from Avril

    I'd like to see Paul brought back on a 1 year deal to see if he can continue to say healthy and play at this level
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3105
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 am
  • Sign Richardson and let Avril go.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1174
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 am
  • None. Do it like the Patriots. You're out when you get expensive/old
    Look at who we just paid... Kam... out for the season or forever.
    Next man up!
    User avatar
    Seahawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 78
    Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:1. Brown needs to be kept.
    2. Jimmy can be Franchise Tagged.
    3. If we can keep S.Richardson we should move on from Avril

    I'd like to see Paul brought back on a 1 year deal to see if he can continue to say healthy and play at this level


    Graham can be franchised for $15+ million, unlikely.
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 am
  • Sheldon has proven his worth. Without him our D would be a lot worse. He is a priority signing, IMO.

    Brown has also saved our O-line. He needs to be here as long as he can play. We've seen how hard it is to get good Tackles.

    Jimmy would be great, but he might be a luxury at this point.

    McDougald would be a nice security blanket to keep around, especially if Kam is done.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16159
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:37 am
  • Brown is #1, and it's not even close.

    Then I'd prioritize the following;

    1. Extending Earl
    2. Extending KJ
    3. Resign McDougall
    4. Resign Coleman
    5. Trying to sign Richardson (Sheldon) to a long term deal
    6. Giving Jimmy at least an offer, then letting him test FA if he wants
    7. Same thing with P-Rich, decent offer but nothing crazy
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Brown is #1, and it's not even close.

    Then I'd prioritize the following;

    1. Extending Earl
    2. Extending KJ
    3. Resign McDougall
    4. Resign Coleman
    5. Trying to sign Richardson (Sheldon) to a long term deal
    6. Giving Jimmy at least an offer, then letting him test FA if he wants
    7. Same thing with P-Rich, decent offer but nothing crazy


    At least Brown is still under contract next year, so it won't need to be rushed. Coleman is a RFA, so he will be a seahawk next year. I wonder what round tender they will put on him though.
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am
  • Seahawk wrote:None. Do it like the Patriots. You're out when you get expensive/old
    Look at who we just paid... Kam... out for the season or forever.
    Next man up!


    The Patriots don't win because of that strategy.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16234
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 am
  • Seahawk wrote:None. Do it like the Patriots. You're out when you get expensive/old
    Look at who we just paid... Kam... out for the season or forever.
    Next man up!


    Patriots get rid of expensive players when they can net a good trade return, usually a high draft pick, when they are closer to retirement. They don't just cut ties with their best players to pinch pennies.

    Kam was having a good season and was the highest graded defensive player in the game he was hurt.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3572
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:22 am
  • scrummymustard wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Brown is #1, and it's not even close.

    Then I'd prioritize the following;

    1. Extending Earl
    2. Extending KJ
    3. Resign McDougall
    4. Resign Coleman
    5. Trying to sign Richardson (Sheldon) to a long term deal
    6. Giving Jimmy at least an offer, then letting him test FA if he wants
    7. Same thing with P-Rich, decent offer but nothing crazy


    At least Brown is still under contract next year, so it won't need to be rushed. Coleman is a RFA, so he will be a seahawk next year. I wonder what round tender they will put on him though.


    Brown held out with Houston because he wanted a new contract..............and even though he seems happy here I don't think he's be content and happy coming back next summer without an extension.

    Nor do I think Pete and John would be happy. We didn't bring Brown here as a half season Band Aid, or to have an unhappy LT all next year. So unless he and his agent are insanely unreasonable as to what they want, he's going to get a long term extension in the off season.

    If not? Then we made a terrible mistake giving up two high picks for him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 am
  • Tough choices but someone has to go. Earlier in the season id say graham goes easy but hes become the red zone threat that we always wanted him to be so now i want him to get resigned.

    Earl is a must extend, richardson also is a must dudes just making an impact on the D line. Duane brown also is solid.
    Image
    User avatar
    RussB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2386
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am
  • Earl, Brown, and Richardson. The rest can walk.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am
  • I don’t like the prospects of Kam and Cliff clearing up a bunch of cap money, but it looks everything in the world right now that both these guys are struggling with the idea of risking the possibility of paralysis, in a return to the field, having tasted the temporary effects of a jolt to their spine.

    Lots of athletes in football and other contact sports experience the same thing and after shaking it off, put it out of their minds and play on for the money and for the love of the game. As you get along in your NFL career the love of the game becomes your final deciding factor because you have already locked up the money and have enough earned and coming to last you the rest of your life.

    Kam and Cliff combined account for around 60 million of the Seahawks dollars, if they take the garauntee money and walk at this point we will get a pretty good bit of that back. Of all the players you listed I don’t see one of them that we would not want to do everything we can to keep them onboard.

    If we come down to who goes time, it’s who can’t or isn’t likely to play again for us anytime soon. Richard Sherman will be back and worth his weight in gold next year. Playing like the Richard Sherman we all know and love.

    On another note entirely, Shaquill’s twin brother Shaqeum Griffin, will be in the 2018 draft. My take is that he is a really special and gifted young man. I can’t help but contemplate, how he might fit into the Seahawks scheme. If there is a place in the NFL for the Griffin twins (born 60 seconds apart), Shaq being the eldest lol, it’s in Seattle with the Seahawks.

    We are the one place, where, if you can carry your weight, and do your job, “no excuses”, that you can compete for and win your spot on the field same as anyone else. Take some time to read up on this kid, he really is something special. His college stats are impressive, and I look for impressive Combine results for him.

    Go Seahawks!
    I am a tried and true Seattle Seahawks 12th man, as are all of my children and grandchildren. I wholeheartedly believe that the 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. The Seahawks are only as strong as their true Heart & Soul.
    User avatar
    pacific101
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 262
    Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:49 pm
    Location: Florence, Oregon


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 am
  • pacific101 wrote:I don’t like the prospects of Kam and Cliff clearing up a bunch of cap money


    Kam does NOT clear up a bunch of cap money, in fact if we cut him we'd still owe him well north of 15M of guaranteed money.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... llor-6641/

    So he's not going anywhere, unless he retires. Which he won't, cause then he'd forfeit all this guaranteed money.

    Cliff's gone, so brace yourself for that. We clear off 8M in cap if we cut Cliff, only has 500k of dead cap. I also wouldn't be surprised if we cut Sherman, 11M in cap savings if we cut him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 am
  • Veilside wrote:We tend to focus on the biggest impact players no matter the position. Overall, we pay talent, and that is what I see us continuing to do.

    Order of impact:

    Earl Thomas
    Duane Brown
    Sheldon Richardson (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Tyler Lockett
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)

    Of these I could see us prioritizing McDougal over Graham and Jockel over Richardson.


    Good list. But we need to consider those who's future is up in the air due to injury, and those that will get overpaid. However, I would pay Sheldon Richardson whatever it takes.

    My List:

    Next to Earl Thomas, Sheldon Richardson is the most impactful of those players. That guy is amazing and disrupts every play out there. He is a legitimate difference maker that's always making SPLASH plays.

    Bradley McDougal is next as Kam is either done, or close to it. Don't get me wrong, I want the man back, and he LOVES to play, so if it's humanly possible, he will be back. But watching McDougal play, he made some wow plays.

    Jimmy Graham is a red zone monster, and he and Russell are just now showing how dangerous they can be together.

    Duane Brown has one more year left, but next to Britt, he's the stabilizer of that line.

    I'll finish this later..work interupts..
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16462
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 am
  • I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this, but do what you have to do to keep P-Rich around. He's a big time playmaker who has really been coming into his own. I think he has been much better this year than his stats would lead most to believe.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 4836
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scrummymustard wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Brown is #1, and it's not even close.

    Then I'd prioritize the following;

    1. Extending Earl
    2. Extending KJ
    3. Resign McDougall
    4. Resign Coleman
    5. Trying to sign Richardson (Sheldon) to a long term deal
    6. Giving Jimmy at least an offer, then letting him test FA if he wants
    7. Same thing with P-Rich, decent offer but nothing crazy


    At least Brown is still under contract next year, so it won't need to be rushed. Coleman is a RFA, so he will be a seahawk next year. I wonder what round tender they will put on him though.


    Brown held out with Houston because he wanted a new contract..............and even though he seems happy here I don't think he's be content and happy coming back next summer without an extension.

    Nor do I think Pete and John would be happy. We didn't bring Brown here as a half season Band Aid, or to have an unhappy LT all next year. So unless he and his agent are insanely unreasonable as to what they want, he's going to get a long term extension in the off season.

    If not? Then we made a terrible mistake giving up two high picks for him.


    I agree with you. Should have been more clear. We can wait to extend him after free agency and the draft. He's going to finish his career here, but at least we have him signed next year and don't need to rush into doing it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 am
  • Rat wrote:I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this, but do what you have to do to keep P-Rich around. He's a big time playmaker who has really been coming into his own. I think he has been much better this year than his stats would lead most to believe.


    I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this.

    2. It's good for him too. Take the raise and short term deal, prove that you can stay healthy and produce, and in 2-3 years break the bank.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:34 am
  • Veilside wrote:We tend to focus on the biggest impact players no matter the position. Overall, we pay talent, and that is what I see us continuing to do.

    Order of impact:

    Earl Thomas
    Duane Brown
    Sheldon Richardson (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Tyler Lockett
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)

    Of these I could see us prioritizing McDougal over Graham and Jockel over Richardson.

    Man....this is going to be tough, I mean are we likely to sign Luke?, or Luke?.....Richardson?, or Richardson? :P
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6310
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Veilside wrote:We tend to focus on the biggest impact players no matter the position. Overall, we pay talent, and that is what I see us continuing to do.

    Order of impact:

    Earl Thomas
    Duane Brown
    Sheldon Richardson (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Tyler Lockett
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)

    Of these I could see us prioritizing McDougal over Graham and Jockel over Richardson.

    Man....this is going to be tough, I mean are we likely to sign Luke?, or Luke?.....Richardson?, or Richardson? :P


    No reason to sign Willson, unless it's a minimum no guarantee camp invite. Vannett's playing well, so I can't see even offering Willson a contract.............unless Jimmy's not back. Even then, plenty of vet TE's available that would be an upgrade over Willson.

    Not sure bout Joeckel. I'd say so far he hasn't been worth 8M a year, so if there's a cheaper vet guard available? Yeah I'd go with that, or if we can draft another Pocic type guard to AND we extend Brown?

    Lots of things have to go wrong before I'd pay Joeckel 8M again.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Rat wrote:I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this, but do what you have to do to keep P-Rich around. He's a big time playmaker who has really been coming into his own. I think he has been much better this year than his stats would lead most to believe.


    I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this.

    2. It's good for him too. Take the raise and short term deal, prove that you can stay healthy and produce, and in 2-3 years break the bank.


    That's a no brainer if he'll take it.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 4836
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am
  • all of them except Joekel

    we can get it done
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 890
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 am
  • Rat wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Rat wrote:I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this, but do what you have to do to keep P-Rich around. He's a big time playmaker who has really been coming into his own. I think he has been much better this year than his stats would lead most to believe.


    I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this.

    2. It's good for him too. Take the raise and short term deal, prove that you can stay healthy and produce, and in 2-3 years break the bank.


    That's a no brainer if he'll take it.


    Totally. And Paul was balling out before his contract year, so I'd feel confident keeping him around.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16234
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Rat wrote:I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this, but do what you have to do to keep P-Rich around. He's a big time playmaker who has really been coming into his own. I think he has been much better this year than his stats would lead most to believe.


    I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this.

    2. It's good for him too. Take the raise and short term deal, prove that you can stay healthy and produce, and in 2-3 years break the bank.


    Would be great to get him at that price and length of deal.

    Makes little sense from his POV though. If a team isn't willing to sign him to a large long term deal, he, nor his agent would sign a 2 year deal for so little. They would likely go the 1 year route and hit FA again in '19.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 136
    Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this..


    I think you are severely underestimating how much cap space there is out there among the other teams. The 49ers and Browns, for example, will both have over $100 million in cap space, and both teams need WRs to go with their new QBs (Garoppolo in SF and the #1 overall pick in Cleveland).

    Two or three million per year won't get it done.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 218
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 pm
  • Jeremy517 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this..


    I think you are severely underestimating how much cap space there is out there among the other teams. The 49ers and Browns, for example, will both have over $100 million in cap space, and both teams need WRs to go with their new QBs (Garoppolo in SF and the #1 overall pick in Cleveland).

    Two or three million per year won't get it done.


    That doesn't mean those teams want to spend their cap space on a 40-50 catch 5-6 TD's a year oft injured skinny fast WR.

    Richardson has a bigger upside than Kearse ever did, but Kearse was always healthy and a better blocker. So I'll stick with the comparison.

    Of course it's POSSIBLE that another team will offer him more, but I think you're overestimating his FA value. He's a good but not great 3rd WR on most teams. That's 2-3M a year territory.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:35 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this..


    I think you are severely underestimating how much cap space there is out there among the other teams. The 49ers and Browns, for example, will both have over $100 million in cap space, and both teams need WRs to go with their new QBs (Garoppolo in SF and the #1 overall pick in Cleveland).

    Two or three million per year won't get it done.


    That doesn't mean those teams want to spend their cap space on a 40-50 catch 5-6 TD's a year oft injured skinny fast WR.

    Richardson has a bigger upside than Kearse ever did, but Kearse was always healthy and a better blocker. So I'll stick with the comparison.

    Of course it's POSSIBLE that another team will offer him more, but I think you're overestimating his FA value. He's a good but not great 3rd WR on most teams. That's 2-3M a year territory.


    He's going to make more than 2-3 for sure. 40-50 catches here could be 70-80 in a lot of other cities. I think a better comparison is Tate.
    User avatar
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10038
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 pm
  • Subzero717 wrote:
    He's going to make more than 2-3 for sure. 40-50 catches here could be 70-80 in a lot of other cities. I think a better comparison is Tate.


    I'd agree with you if he was as durable as Tate. But he's not. P-Rich also can't return kicks or block even half as well as Tate does, he's one of the best blocking WR's in the entire league.

    You might be right, but I don't think so. We shall see.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:1. Brown needs to be kept.
    2. Jimmy can be Franchise Tagged.
    3. If we can keep S.Richardson we should move on from Avril

    I'd like to see Paul brought back on a 1 year deal to see if he can continue to say healthy and play at this level

    Agree with this. with the exception you have to add Earl to the mix

    No to Richardson (good player but just to expensive to pay Baldwin, Graham and PRich)
    Lockett's contract is not up so no worries there
    Joekel for Vet minimum,

    There are going to be cap casualties. The problem with the Team is that besides Griffen, we can't seem to find young talent (draftees or UFAs) to step in and have an impact
    User avatar
    HawkerD
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 459
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:01 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I said this last week, I think we can sign Richardson for a Kearse type deal. 2-3 years at 2-3M a year.

    1. I don't think anyone would give him more than that on the open market. He's slight, and has an injury/production history that would make any team shy away from guaranteeing him more than this..


    I think you are severely underestimating how much cap space there is out there among the other teams. The 49ers and Browns, for example, will both have over $100 million in cap space, and both teams need WRs to go with their new QBs (Garoppolo in SF and the #1 overall pick in Cleveland).

    Two or three million per year won't get it done.


    That doesn't mean those teams want to spend their cap space on a 40-50 catch 5-6 TD's a year oft injured skinny fast WR.

    Richardson has a bigger upside than Kearse ever did, but Kearse was always healthy and a better blocker. So I'll stick with the comparison.

    Of course it's POSSIBLE that another team will offer him more, but I think you're overestimating his FA value. He's a good but not great 3rd WR on most teams. That's 2-3M a year territory.

    I think if he makes it through relatively unhurt, this is a severe undervaluation. And if his market is anywhere near that sluggish, it makes zero sense for him to take a low number on anything other than a one-year deal.
    purpleneer
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 240
    Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm
    Location: The Green Lantern (almost)


Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Subzero717 wrote:
    He's going to make more than 2-3 for sure. 40-50 catches here could be 70-80 in a lot of other cities. I think a better comparison is Tate.


    I'd agree with you if he was as durable as Tate. But he's not. P-Rich also can't return kicks or block even half as well as Tate does, he's one of the best blocking WR's in the entire league.

    You might be right, but I don't think so. We shall see.


    If we can retain PRich for close to 3 mill it is a no brainer to keep him.

    I mostly compared him to Tate as in the caliber of receiver I think he could be.

    I agree with you on blocking, I guess. I'm not sure what metric you'd use to gauge which WR is better than the other or best in the league. I don't think that's going to make or break what kind of contract he gets anyway.
    User avatar
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10038
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Next


It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information