Is there a valid reason to root for the Rams next week?

StoneCold

Reaction score
It occurred to me that we control our destiny with the Rams regardless and would it be in our best interest to root for the Rams to beat Philadelphia? Wouldn't that give us a better shot at a first seed possibility?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from but to me winning the West is key, so lets do that and see where the chips fall.

mistaowen

Reaction score
To me locking up the division is most important. Guaranteed home playoff game. I know winning out gets the division but Eagles knocking the Rams down helps that and gives a little wiggle room.

I doubt the Vikings lose more than one more game so #2 is potentially up for grabs if Eagles lose but they'll still need to lose another game to fall out.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fair question. At first I thought screw that, always hope your division opponent leader loses, but if the Eagles lose next week, things get interesting for sure. Still, we want the Rams to lose so we can take the lead but the Eagles losing is not a bad thing in the least.

original poster

Reaction score
To gain the second seed it is doable but unlikely.

Root for the Eagles, I will be. Although I expect the Rams to win.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
StoneCold":2jpvuv3m said:
It occurred to me that we control our destiny with the Rams regardless and would it be in our best interest to root for the Rams to beat Philadelphia? Wouldn't that give us a better shot at a first seed possibility?

Yep. That's what I'm doing. Go Rams. :pukeface:

sdog1981

Reaction score
There is never a good reason to root for the Rams.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Aros":3rkmzctg said:
Fair question. At first I thought screw that, always hope your division opponent leader loses, but if the Eagles lose next week, things get interesting for sure. Still, we want the Rams to lose so we can take the lead but the Eagles losing is not a bad thing in the least.

Yeah, I think it is a 8 of one 4 of another. (this is based on the phrase 6 of one half a dozen of another) I think out right rooting for the Rams borders on counting your chickens before they hatch, which always makes me uncomfortable. Hey, two saying in one post. But like you say, Philly winning makes things interesting.

RussB

Reaction score
1 or 2 seed is unlikely at this point. The 2 home losses hurt that possibility badly. But good news is division is up for grabs and hawks are heating up. So ill be rooting for eagles to murk the rams then rams have to come to C link and will probably lose another tough game. That will be huge if we give them back to back losses.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep 1 or 2 is unfortunately unlikely. Too many tough teams in the NFC this year. Hawks will likely end up between 3 and 5 seed.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
To root for the Rams you're basically hoping that the Eagles lose to the Cowboys in Week 17. I don't trust the Cowboys to get it done

The Eagles are guaranteed to win the Raiders and Giants. If anything, I'd say the Vikings falling is a little more likely. They face:

1) The Panthers - Inconsistent, but when Cam is on he's Elite
2) Bengals - Underachieving, but have a good enough team to win if they can stop Case Keenum. Which is possible
3) Packers - They'll have Aaron Rodgers back and a possible 6 seed up for grabs if the Falcons and Panthers falter. Bonus, they face the Panthers in Week 15

So that's 3 possible games the Vikings can lose. Actually, with Case Keenum as far as I'm concerned they're both capable of winning AND losing any game.

I'm perfectly okay with the Eagles having the #1 seed. I would love a chance for the Hawks to go in there and steal their shine. OR, if they're one and done we could get home field advantage throughout the playoffs

Root for the Vikings to lose a couple :irishdrinkers:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Either one losing helps in part so I'm good either way. Now a tie....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Only tiebreaker we'd win for the 1 seed would be a H2H with Philly. Believe we lose tiebreakers when Minnesota and NO get involved.

So no, the division and subsequent home playoff game are much more important to us right now.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Only way we get a first round by is if 2 of Philly, NO, and Minnesota tank while we win out. Probanly not gonna happen. We need to win the division, of course if we win out we get the division no matter what so I dont really care what happens between the Rams and Eagles.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2e5zzphu said:
There is never a good reason to root for the Rams.

I used to believe in this, but was proven wrong many years ago. When we were in the AFC, I was passionate in my hate for the Raiders (and the Broncos, but that's a different story). I don't recall the year it happened, but it was the final week and we were in a position to need the Raiders to win to get into the playoffs. I found myself unable to not root for the Raiders that day, even though I told myself I wouldn't do it, as soon as the ball kicked off, I wanted them to win so we'd get into the playoffs. Ever since then, I realized that if it helps my Seahawks, I'm willing to swallow a bit of pride and root for a division rival.

With that said, the more I think about it the more I think this game between the Rams and Eagles is kind of meaningless. I don't see us surpassing 2 of the 3 other division leaders to take over the #2 spot (and obviously not all three for the #1 spot), so with that embedded in my brain, and the fact that even if the Rams win, we just need to keep winning to win our division, I've decided to just concentrate on our win over Jacksonville this week and our wins each upcoming week and let the chips fall where they may.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Were not getting a bye. We need to hope for the division now and a home playoff game.

We're battling against Minnesota, Philly, New Orleans/Carolina for those two spots. We have the most losses already of that group, PLUS we play all the way across the country at first place Jax, then the Rams, then the Cowboys then the pesky cards.....

go eagles!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
What a difference a week makes!

Last week, we were inundated with posts telling us that the season was over, playoffs were out of reach, blow up the team.

Now I'm reading about possible routes to the 1 seed.

Love it :)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Root for the Rams???

Are you nuts? Never root for the Rams.

Job 1 is winning the division, after that getting the playoff bye would be nice; but is likely unreachable given the strength of some other teams in the NFC

A-Dog

Reaction score
win/win

we control our own destiny for the division either way