Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Is there a valid reason to root for the Rams next week?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • It occurred to me that we control our destiny with the Rams regardless and would it be in our best interest to root for the Rams to beat Philadelphia? Wouldn't that give us a better shot at a first seed possibility?
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• I understand where you are coming from but to me winning the West is key, so lets do that and see where the chips fall.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• To me locking up the division is most important. Guaranteed home playoff game. I know winning out gets the division but Eagles knocking the Rams down helps that and gives a little wiggle room.

I doubt the Vikings lose more than one more game so #2 is potentially up for grabs if Eagles lose but they'll still need to lose another game to fall out.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Fair question. At first I thought screw that, always hope your division opponent leader loses, but if the Eagles lose next week, things get interesting for sure. Still, we want the Rams to lose so we can take the lead but the Eagles losing is not a bad thing in the least.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• To gain the second seed it is doable but unlikely.

Root for the Eagles, I will be. Although I expect the Rams to win.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• StoneCold wrote:It occurred to me that we control our destiny with the Rams regardless and would it be in our best interest to root for the Rams to beat Philadelphia? Wouldn't that give us a better shot at a first seed possibility?

Yep. That's what I'm doing. Go Rams. :pukeface:
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• There is never a good reason to root for the Rams.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:There is (almost) never a good reason to root for the Rams.

:ditto:
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Fair question. At first I thought screw that, always hope your division opponent leader loses, but if the Eagles lose next week, things get interesting for sure. Still, we want the Rams to lose so we can take the lead but the Eagles losing is not a bad thing in the least.

Yeah, I think it is a 8 of one 4 of another. (this is based on the phrase 6 of one half a dozen of another) I think out right rooting for the Rams borders on counting your chickens before they hatch, which always makes me uncomfortable. Hey, two saying in one post. But like you say, Philly winning makes things interesting.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• 1 or 2 seed is unlikely at this point. The 2 home losses hurt that possibility badly. But good news is division is up for grabs and hawks are heating up. So ill be rooting for eagles to murk the rams then rams have to come to C link and will probably lose another tough game. That will be huge if we give them back to back losses.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• Yep 1 or 2 is unfortunately unlikely. Too many tough teams in the NFC this year. Hawks will likely end up between 3 and 5 seed.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• To root for the Rams you're basically hoping that the Eagles lose to the Cowboys in Week 17. I don't trust the Cowboys to get it done

The Eagles are guaranteed to win the Raiders and Giants. If anything, I'd say the Vikings falling is a little more likely. They face:

1) The Panthers - Inconsistent, but when Cam is on he's Elite
    2) Bengals - Underachieving, but have a good enough team to win if they can stop Case Keenum. Which is possible
    3) Packers - They'll have Aaron Rodgers back and a possible 6 seed up for grabs if the Falcons and Panthers falter. Bonus, they face the Panthers in Week 15

So that's 3 possible games the Vikings can lose. Actually, with Case Keenum as far as I'm concerned they're both capable of winning AND losing any game.

I'm perfectly okay with the Eagles having the #1 seed. I would love a chance for the Hawks to go in there and steal their shine. OR, if they're one and done we could get home field advantage throughout the playoffs

Root for the Vikings to lose a couple :irishdrinkers:
    Scorpion05
    NET Starter

• Either one losing helps in part so I'm good either way. Now a tie....
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Only tiebreaker we'd win for the 1 seed would be a H2H with Philly. Believe we lose tiebreakers when Minnesota and NO get involved.

So no, the division and subsequent home playoff game are much more important to us right now.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Only way we get a first round by is if 2 of Philly, NO, and Minnesota tank while we win out. Probanly not gonna happen. We need to win the division, of course if we win out we get the division no matter what so I dont really care what happens between the Rams and Eagles.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:There is never a good reason to root for the Rams.

I used to believe in this, but was proven wrong many years ago. When we were in the AFC, I was passionate in my hate for the Raiders (and the Broncos, but that's a different story). I don't recall the year it happened, but it was the final week and we were in a position to need the Raiders to win to get into the playoffs. I found myself unable to not root for the Raiders that day, even though I told myself I wouldn't do it, as soon as the ball kicked off, I wanted them to win so we'd get into the playoffs. Ever since then, I realized that if it helps my Seahawks, I'm willing to swallow a bit of pride and root for a division rival.

With that said, the more I think about it the more I think this game between the Rams and Eagles is kind of meaningless. I don't see us surpassing 2 of the 3 other division leaders to take over the #2 spot (and obviously not all three for the #1 spot), so with that embedded in my brain, and the fact that even if the Rams win, we just need to keep winning to win our division, I've decided to just concentrate on our win over Jacksonville this week and our wins each upcoming week and let the chips fall where they may.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Were not getting a bye. We need to hope for the division now and a home playoff game.

We're battling against Minnesota, Philly, New Orleans/Carolina for those two spots. We have the most losses already of that group, PLUS we play all the way across the country at first place Jax, then the Rams, then the Cowboys then the pesky cards.....

go eagles!
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• What a difference a week makes!

Last week, we were inundated with posts telling us that the season was over, playoffs were out of reach, blow up the team.

Now I'm reading about possible routes to the 1 seed.

Love it :)
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Root for the Rams???

Are you nuts? Never root for the Rams.

Job 1 is winning the division, after that getting the playoff bye would be nice; but is likely unreachable given the strength of some other teams in the NFC
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• win/win

we control our own destiny for the division either way
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:What a difference a week makes!

Last week, we were inundated with posts telling us that the season was over, playoffs were out of reach, blow up the team.

Now I'm reading about possible routes to the 1 seed.

Love it :)

LOL one of the reasons I try to stay away from here after a loss.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Just did the math... the only path to the 1 seed is either finishing tied with the Eagles for the best record or finishing in a 3-way tie with Carolina and Philadelphia with the best record.

If Seattle wins out, they are almost certainly landing the 3 seed, with a few scenarios that'd have them in the 2 spot, and a couple of super long shot scenarios having them as a 4 seed at 12-4 (literally every other NFC contender would have to finish 12-4 to have a 4 seeded 12-4 Seahawks team)
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• If we lose to Jax then we need philly to beat the rams.

If the rams beat philly then we essentially have to win out to win the division. Go eagles
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• Definitely want the Rams to lose. Any of our remaining games is losable so we want the Rams to take as many Ls as they can.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:What a difference a week makes!

And how we're not going anywhere unless we get the #1 seed. :)
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Rams beat Eagles
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

Seahawks at least move up to 3 seed.

The only thing that's important is to win out.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Rams beat Eagles
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

The Rams winning would make our margin of error incredibly small of not only winning the division, but making the playoffs in general.

We're not getting the 1 seed barring some crazy turn of events. The Eagles beating the Rams is much more beneficial to us in the long run.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• The only team I am rooting for next week (or any week) are the Seahawks. Evryone else can go suck eggs.

Go Hawks.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Right now, it doesn't matter what the Rams do. The Seahawks are in the drivers' seat to win the division.

If the Rams lose, then great . . . that's added security.

If the Eagles lose, then great . . . that increases our chances of earning a first round bye.

Just win, baby.

Go Hawks! Beat the hell out of the Jaguars!
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

• Give me the #2 seed, and a bye week.

How to get there?

The Saints lose 2 games. The Eagles lose 2 games. The Seahawks win out. The Vikes end up 13-3.

Go Rams.

The Seahawks have to beat the Rams if they want to win the division anyway.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• If you believe the Hawks will win out, then their best chance of getting a first round bye is for the Rams to beat the Eagles.

I'm just looking at this Rams/Eagles game as a win-win as long as the Hawks win.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:There is never a good reason to root for the Rams.

I used to believe in this, but was proven wrong many years ago. When we were in the AFC, I was passionate in my hate for the Raiders (and the Broncos, but that's a different story). I don't recall the year it happened, but it was the final week and we were in a position to need the Raiders to win to get into the playoffs. I found myself unable to not root for the Raiders that day, even though I told myself I wouldn't do it, as soon as the ball kicked off, I wanted them to win so we'd get into the playoffs. Ever since then, I realized that if it helps my Seahawks, I'm willing to swallow a bit of pride and root for a division rival.

With that said, the more I think about it the more I think this game between the Rams and Eagles is kind of meaningless. I don't see us surpassing 2 of the 3 other division leaders to take over the #2 spot (and obviously not all three for the #1 spot), so with that embedded in my brain, and the fact that even if the Rams win, we just need to keep winning to win our division, I've decided to just concentrate on our win over Jacksonville this week and our wins each upcoming week and let the chips fall where they may.

In 87 we needed a 9-4 Denver to beat an 8-6 Chargers team for us to get into the playoffs. We finished the season 9-6 losing our last game to the Chiefs. If the Chargers beat the Broncos we lose the tie breaker and miss the playoffs. So yeah their have been times to root for a hated rival.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:If you believe the Hawks will win out, then their best chance of getting a first round bye is for the Rams to beat the Eagles.

I'm just looking at this Rams/Eagles game as a win-win as long as the Hawks win.

Wrong.

The Eagles need 4 losses for the Seahawks to get the #2 Seed (and a couple of other things). The Rams provide the best opportunity for them to lose another game (Their toughest remaining game). They then need to lose 1 more against the Raiders @ night, or the Cowboys week 17.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Rams beat Eagles
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

The Rams winning would make our margin of error incredibly small of not only winning the division, but making the playoffs in general.

We're not getting the 1 seed barring some crazy turn of events. The Eagles beating the Rams is much more beneficial to us in the long run.

Well then I guess you're right. The Seahawks are just going to lose anyway.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:If you believe the Hawks will win out, then their best chance of getting a first round bye is for the Rams to beat the Eagles.

Wrong.

The Eagles need 4 losses for the Seahawks to get the #2 Seed (and a couple of other things). The Rams provide the best opportunity for them to lose another game (Their toughest remaining game). They then need to lose 1 more against the Raiders @ night, or the Cowboys week 17.

Hey, don't count out the Giants. McAdoo is gone and Eli is back at QB... :2thumbs:

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• NJlargent wrote:If we lose to Jax then we need philly to beat the rams.

If the rams beat philly then we essentially have to win out to win the division. Go eagles

Both games are 1:25 and on Fox. Guess we won't know until after it's all said and done.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:What a difference a week makes!

And how we're not going anywhere unless we get the #1 seed. :)

Just to be clear I'm not counting any chickens. Who knows what's going to happen. (has to be said to appease the gods of over confidence) I'm just trying to work out the possibilities. Right know it's nice to there are possibilities.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• Year of The Hawk wrote:The only team I am rooting for next week (or any week) are the Seahawks. Evryone else can go suck eggs.

Go Hawks.

Don't see a whole lot of reason for you to be posting in this thread, then.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

Our margin is already small: we lose one more game and there's a very likely chance that we're out entirely.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

Our margin is already small: we lose one more game and there's a very likely chance that we're out entirely.

Very Likely?? @ 11-5??

You do realize that Carolina already has 4 losses and Atlanta has 5 right? And that they still play each other again....plus other games vs. New Orleans?

Not sure I agree.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Fair question. At first I thought screw that, always hope your division opponent leader loses, but if the Eagles lose next week, things get interesting for sure. Still, we want the Rams to lose so we can take the lead but the Eagles losing is not a bad thing in the least.

As long as somebody loses besides us, I'm good.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

11-5 should get us in. I want more.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• Hawkpower wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Seahawks beat Rams.
    Eagles lose 1 more.

Very Likely?? @ 11-5??

You do realize that Carolina already has 4 losses and Atlanta has 5 right? And that they still play each other again....plus other games vs. New Orleans?

Not sure I agree.

Yes, I realize that. But these are two very good teams that are getting hot, and Atlanta holds a tiebreaker over us.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• My take: Friends don't let friends root for the Rams
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• Polaris wrote:My take: Friends don't let friends root for the Rams

So you don't want a 1st round bye? If the Rams lose to the Eagles it will be pretty much impossible to get it.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:
    Polaris wrote:My take: Friends don't let friends root for the Rams

So you don't want a 1st round bye? If the Rams lose to the Eagles it will be pretty much impossible to get it.

First win the division, then worry about the seeding. A Rams loss makes it easier to win the division and allows more margin for error. If you don't win the division, then you are on the road for the whole playoffs.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• Polaris wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    Polaris wrote:My take: Friends don't let friends root for the Rams

First win the division, then worry about the seeding. A Rams loss makes it easier to win the division and allows more margin for error. If you don't win the division, then you are on the road for the whole playoffs.

Seattle's chances of going to the Superbowl increase by literally 400% if they get the bye. Wild Card on the road, Wild Card at home. not much different. The Division is irrelevent if it doesn't come with a bye. See the last 2 years.

Go Rams.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• I'm not exactly rooting for the Rams, but I am rooting against the Eagles. I'm a lot more interested in the bye than I am in home field advantage this season. Most of the NFC playoff games are going to look like coin flips this year.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• I don't think Seattle's chances at a bye are realistic even if we do win out (at 12-4). OTOH we do have a very realistic shot at winning the division and a Rams loss would make that easier. Bird in hand.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• To get a first round bye, we need the Saints to lose two games (they still have to play the Falcons twice), and we need the Eagles to lose two games (@Rams, @Giants, then at home against the Raiders and Cowboys). Saints have the tiebreaker over the Seahawks, so we need them to finish 11-5 or worse. Another option would be for the Vikings to completely nosedive, losing their next three games, though that seems less likely that the other possibilities. Of course, this all assumes the Seahawks win their next four games.
    Last edited by hawknation2017 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information