Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Wilhoite's Smart Play on the End Zone Fumble!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • He didn't try to fall on it as it may have squirted out, instead, wisely he turned around, and blocked the Eagle's player from getting to it, letting it roll out of bounds. THEN he fell on it :P "This ball's mine! I'm taking it home!"

Remember all the screaming about KJ batting a ball out of the End Zone?

Also, if you listen to Sheldon's interview on DD&M yesterday, don't let the way he talks fool you, he's a smart dude!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Yeah, good on Wilhoite for blocking Torrey Smith from recovering the ball and not committing a foul like KJ did. You know they weren't gonna miss throwing a flag if he tapped it out this time.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Yeah that is good and all but the best play is definitely falling on it and "accidently" have it go out of bounds without batting on it.......

Blocking one guy does nothing to other players that you may not have accounted for

I personally wasn't sure he located the football so was blocking while trying to figure out where the football was - which is also a smart heads-up approach
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Anyone know what would have happened if Wilhoite had just fallen on the ball inbounds? I've always heard the rule is that the offensive player fumbled the ball before crossing the plane of the endzone and the ball went out of bounds. It seemed to me that Wilhoite saw the ball and thought not to fall on it, instead to block the offensive player from getting to it. I'm wondering if there is a reason he would have done that.
    HuskyHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• HuskyHawk wrote:Anyone know what would have happened if Wilhoite had just fallen on the ball inbounds? I've always heard the rule is that the offensive player fumbled the ball before crossing the plane of the endzone and the ball went out of bounds. It seemed to me that Wilhoite saw the ball and thought not to fall on it, instead to block the offensive player from getting to it. I'm wondering if there is a reason he would have done that.

That would also have been a touchback. There were only two real possibilities from that play a touchdown or a touchback.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:
    HuskyHawk wrote:Anyone know what would have happened if Wilhoite had just fallen on the ball inbounds? I've always heard the rule is that the offensive player fumbled the ball before crossing the plane of the endzone and the ball went out of bounds. It seemed to me that Wilhoite saw the ball and thought not to fall on it, instead to block the offensive player from getting to it. I'm wondering if there is a reason he would have done that.

That would also have been a touchback. There were only two real possibilities from that play a touchdown or a touchback.

Actually there is a 3rd option, and it ain't pretty. If you bat the ball out of bounds intentionally, the offense gets the ball back. That's why he was smart not to jump on it, if he knocks it out of bounds and the ref thinks it was intentional they could make that call. Not to mention the risk of the ball squirting out and being grabbed by an offensive player.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Very, very smart. Avoided the possibility for an illegal touch call and kept the Eagles from recovering.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• How many plays have we had at the goal line like this? IMHO it is not luck but the way our defense attacks the ball and creates the opportunities. I would like to see a stat on this but probably not on out there.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

• That is exactly what I said when I saw the play live. It was a smart move on his part.
    I would also add the whole team played very focused that game...
    BChawkfan
    NET Starter

• I don't think he had any idea where the ball was. Great play though.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter

• pittpnthrs wrote:I don't think he had any idea where the ball was. Great play though.

I kind of agree.

Initially it looked like the ball would easily go out the back of the endzone and he chose to make that happen by blocking out the nearest and only threat to prevent it. After the block he checked to verify it did roll out and when he seen it hadn't and the ball was moving at a less aggressive pace, he made a move to recover it. Fortunately it worked out.

I think there is a definite element of coaching in that play. As well as heads up football both having awareness of the play unfolding and what the coaches have preached.

Overall I think it is hard to not look at the play and the player and not be impressed.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:Yeah that is good and all but the best play is definitely falling on it and "accidently" have it go out of bounds without batting on it.......

Blocking one guy does nothing to other players that you may not have accounted for

I personally wasn't sure he located the football so was blocking while trying to figure out where the football was - which is also a smart heads-up approach

Which proves that the Football Gods are Seahawks Fans MUWAHAAHAA!! :stirthepot:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:I don't think he had any idea where the ball was. Great play though.

I kind of agree.

Initially it looked like the ball would easily go out the back of the endzone and he chose to make that happen by blocking out the nearest and only threat to prevent it. After the block he checked to verify it did roll out and when he seen it hadn't and the ball was moving at a less aggressive pace, he made a move to recover it. Fortunately it worked out.

I think there is a definite element of coaching in that play. As well as heads up football both having awareness of the play unfolding and what the coaches have preached.

Overall I think it is hard to not look at the play and the player and not be impressed.

Not sure if you give credit to "coaching" as IIRC this very situation happened to the Seahawks recently (maybe last season) and they screwed it up. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• He reacted incredibly quickly, I remember being very impressed in real time. Great veteran play!
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Year of The Hawk wrote:How many plays have we had at the goal line like this? IMHO it is not luck but the way our defense attacks the ball and creates the opportunities. I would like to see a stat on this but probably not on out there.

I love all the fumbles we cause at the goal line. Honestly if we just tackle a guy at the one yard line chances are they are punching the ball in the next play. So rather than go for the tackle I would rather have them go hard for the ball.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

• It's always interesting when outsiders call those "lucky plays"
    But what other team in the league has done this numerous times? I doubt any team has done it as often as the Hawks from the 1 yard line in.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:Yeah that is good and all but the best play is definitely falling on it and "accidently" have it go out of bounds without batting on it.......

This was my thought as well, he located the ball after he hit the offensive player, either way it was a very heads up play being executed with split second timing.
    :2thumbs:
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

• We also had a most favorable bounce; had the ball traveled to the sideline instead of the goal post, we might be talking about a loss. Either way, Wilhoite's play was key for timing.
    Seahawks fan since Topps 1985.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

• I don't consider that a lucky play at all, Richardson made a huge heads up play. They earned that.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• The fumble was all skill on our part. The ensuing bounce was luck, but was aided by a heads-up block.

Had the ball bounced into Smith's hands, I wager we'd be asking why Wilhoite didn't attempt a catch in the air instead of going for the block.

It's worth another look from the endzone cam.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

• I hope Earl didn't break his hand on Wentz's helmet; he directly chopped it at full force.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information