Some un-fun conclusions about the OL vs the Eagles

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
https://streamable.com/xtby3

Ben Baldwin - well, I don't follow any of the insufferable Fieldgulls neckbeards who think an ironically simplistic "Hey no it isn't" is good for 60% of their tweets and talk about themselves incessantly, but this got retweeted by someone I do follow, and it's a good breakdown of the OL in each of their pass protection plays. Here's the impressions I got.

* Bevell: It looks like Seattle's gameplan did most of the work in protecting Wilson. Note how many plays were getting the ball out in under two seconds. PFF backed this up, pointing out that out of Wilson’s 27 pass attempts, 19 were thrown within 10 yards. Pete (finally) wasn't going to let Wilson stand back there and get pummeled waiting for open receivers on long-developing routes. One has to think that if he'd done that from the start, we might be 12-0.

We also mixed in a few rolling pockets, some with Wilson rolling the other way. They had their ups and downs: they mitigated pressure, but took away half of the field for Wilson. Overall, they didn't work too well.

* Brown: He's just so good. Nuff said. Well, almost: he is still good for two glaring whiffs a game. I figure that's acceptable. Maybe it's his ankle. But he's just so good.

* Joeckel: Had a bad first game back from injury. Second drive was particularly awful, just abused by Brandon Graham and singlehandedly ended the drive. Oh well. Got better as the game went on, though he was partially responsible for that big sack of Wilson in the end.

* Britt: The Eagles attacked the B gaps a lot, leaving Britt alone in space a noticeable amount of the time. I've noticed a lot of teams doing this. Maybe the word is out that Britt is good. He did a lot of work helping out the guards and had only one really eye-raising snafu.

* Pocic: He's getting pushed back. A lot. This guy is going to need strength conditioning in the offseason, no question. He is playing with speed and ferocity, however, and has the potential to earn a lot of pay in man concepts and screens. Good mobility there.

* Ifedi: I think I've figured out what Cable means when he said Ifedi "plays well most of the time". He means Ifedi is boom-or-bust. When he succeeds, he looks like a pro lineman. When he fails, it's an epic fail. I mean, spectacular, "grab your attention from everything else on the screen" fail.

* Graham: It's a good thing he's averaging 1.1 touchdowns a game, because he still just isn't giving all that much effort to his pass blocking. He wasn't asked to do much of it in this game, though. On the deep strike to Baldwin, had that play lasted more than one second before the throw, it would have been Graham who got Wilson flattened.

* Vannett: Inconsistent. On one of Wilson's deep throwaways, he pulled across the formation but whiffed really bad once he got there.

* Davis: He probably got an earful from Cable after that intentional grounding. Just didn't get a hand on his guy hardly at all on that play. Didn't help much on the strike to Baldwin, either.

* Russell Wilson: Still likes to run when not necessarily pressured. Needed to legitimately run for his life a few times this time, though - not surprising given Jim Schwartz' tendency to blitz.

* Referees: I know nobody wants to hear this, but opponent OLs aren't the only ones holding. We're doing it too. A ton. Especially our guards. This is the second game in a row where we didn't get a lot of penalties, and I'm now convinced it's largely because we were lucky enough to pull ref crews that don't call holds, not because of any improvement by our line. Something to keep an eye on when we visit the Jags.

* Overall: Not horrible. On a lot of plays, they did fine, but you kinda get the impression that had Wilson been looking for deep crossers all game instead of quick outs, he might have gotten sacked more. It just reinforces the truism that you can make your line look a lot better with a quick passing game.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Vs. the team leading the league in pressure percentage, we'll take it. At least the refs called holding evenly. As far as I can remember, they didn't call any holds on the Eagles OL either. I know Alshon got one called on him.

I get what you're saying about Ifedi, but isn't it crazy that he was able to lock down Brandon Graham, who is one of the best edge rushers in the league, on many of those plays? Penalties have been down for him recently as well.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Good point. Brandon Graham did a lot more damage when he moved around than when he faced Ifedi, which was kind of surprising and impressive. Ifedi is our 3rd highest rated lineman by PFF, even with all the penalties dragging down his grade.

Jaguars DE Ngakoue poses an even bigger challenge for Ifedi because he's so quick. Huge test coming up with Ngakoue and Calais Campbell.

original poster

Reaction score
Ifedi is going to come on leaps and bounds next season, I reckon.

I can see the line looking like this next year -

LT - Brown
LG - Pocic
C - Britt
RG - Fant/Idedi
TY - Ifedi/Fant

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't know much about Carlisle. Hopefully he's a decent strength coach. Too many teams have gone new age and are taking a step backwards in the S&C department. I can see Pete falling for that as well but hopefully that's not the case.

j hawk

Reaction score
Next year I'd like to see the OL of Brown,Fant,Britt,Pocic,Ifedi . I think Fant works best on the left and Pocic on the right. Like to see a large earth mover brought in for a guard on draft day.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Can Fant play guard? I know he put on size but they really seem to want him at tackle.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
A healthy Fant provides them with the opportunity to move Ifedi back to RG, which is a more natural position for him due to his limited lateral agility. Playing guard will allow Ifedi to be the more aggressive north-south player that he is, just like it did for James Carpenter.

Fant is a super athlete with great length who belongs on the perimeter. Can he adjust to playing on the right side? Why not? It took him just a few short months to learn how to play football. I wager he would play better at RT than Ifedi, due to his superior athleticism and lateral movement.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Fant and C.J. Prosise are on mythic level with Seahawk fans. People have seen so little of them they forget what they were like when they did play. Why to people sudddenly think that Fant is some kind of plug and play linemen? The guy barely understood the position it was below average at last season. His injury was the best thing to happen to this team it forced JS to roll the dice for a player like Brown.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3p6nrjkl said:
Fant and C.J. Prosise are on mythic level with Seahawk fans. People have seen so little of them they forget what they were like when they did play. Why to people sudddenly think that Fant is some kind of plug and play linemen? The guy barely understood the position it was below average at last season. His injury was the best thing to happen to this team it forced JS to roll the dice for a player like Brown.

Jesus, thank you. George Fant has played fewer games on an offensive line than some posters here. Why he's the savior of this board is beyond me.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":39qbjthx said:
sdog1981":39qbjthx said:

Jesus, thank you. George Fant has played fewer games on an offensive line than some posters here. Why he's the savior of this board is beyond me.

Fant is a phenomenal athlete and was showing some good development before getting hurt. He picked up football on the fly and showed continued improvement while playing one of the hardest positions in the game. It's not unreasonable to expect him to continue to improve as he learns more. And shifting to RT might ease some of the burden on him and accelerate his development. It's not a sure thing, but it's at least an option for next year.

original poster

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3c9ofek9 said:
sdog1981":3c9ofek9 said:

Nobody is saying he's 'that', not that I've read, at least.

The fact is he is an elite athlete that picked up the LT position (with little success, albeit) very, very quickly. He's not good right now and everyone knows that.

But given his development to date, along with his potential, he has a high ceiling.

Just to make it more positive, he literally worked his arse off in Seattle all off season while having a new baby at home in a different state. Tell me how many guys would do that? You could argue his priorities are in the wrong place but you damn well cannot argue with his determination to succeed.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Fant may not be an all pro LT, but he has shown plenty of promise for someone who is walking in off the street playing in the NFL basically.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/898956381973344257[/tweet]

How about this from the game he was injured? That would be the guy with 12 sacks in 10 games he's going up against.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1284ds1j said:
Fant may not be an all pro LT, but he has shown plenty of promise for someone who is walking in off the street playing in the NFL basically.

How about this from the game he was injured? That would be the guy with 12 sacks in 10 games he's going up against.

To be fair, it appears that Griffin has contain responsibility on this play. He isn't rushing hard at all.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":r68955wo said:

I am more intrigued by a blocking scheme that has our LG pull to have RT responsibility while our RT doubles a DT. Seems like a lot to ask of a guy to pull across the formation to block a speed rusher. It obviously failed on this play. Would appear to be easier to use a slide protection with 5 blocking 4.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
one thing obvious to me was the lesser amount of penaltys especially from ifedi anyways :D :D

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fant did show a lot of potential. So did Odhiambo and Glowinski. He has to deliver on it, though, and he had awful enough games against the Cardinals last year to where he didn't strike me as any kind of surefire thing. He's still largely an unknown quantity.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I think the advantage of having Fant back next year will be that we don't have to trot out Matt Tobin as your "eligible guy" on 4th and 1 from the goal line. It's a depth thing as I see it. I don't think we need to get into a huge debate on IF Fant will be in the starting lineup.