Wilson Wants to Play Into Mid Forties...

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/get-ready-for-another-16-years-of-russell-wilson/[/urltargetblank]

“I definitely wanna play until my mid-40s,” he said during a visit to the PFT PM podcast. “I think it’s something that I’ve been very passionate about, and taking care of my health and really trying to dive into the longevity now. . . . For me it’s an everyday process. I have a full-time trainer, Decker Davis, I have a full-time chef as well, Chef Andrea, and I have a full time [physical therapist] and massage person. . . . I’m constantly getting work and getting stretched so that way my body and be super mobile and can maneuver really well. That’s really key to feel fresh every day. I have always have had a big dream of playing for a long time. So that’s always key for me.”

The entire podcast can be heard at the link posted above. The Russell Wilson portion opens up about the 13:25 mark

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice find David!

I remember him saying that "Now I have the money to afford paying these people to help me prepare."

Love the guy, and we are so fortunate to have him as our Franchise QB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's interesting, and fortuitous that Russell is doing anything he can to prevent concussions, wear and tear.

That water company probably told him that their formula would help prevent concussions, and Russell being Russell, believed them. He's also the kind of guy who would never throw somebody under the bus by saying "Well they told me that," but instead would take the heat for saying it.

What a GREAT interview! Very few of the "Russell Wilson platitudes."

ivotuk

Reaction score
A lot of really good comments at the bottom.

nhpats says:
December 6, 2017 at 9:52 am

Russ is a stud….. In fact, he is pretty much everything Kaep is not.

Pinetop Perkins says:
December 6, 2017 at 9:55 am

He’s such a great player and clearly makes those around him better

jjackwagon says:
December 6, 2017 at 9:55 am

Well deserved, he balled out against the Eagles. It was a forward pass but it didn’t affect the outcome, Seahawks were winning that game.Period.

eaglesnoles05 says:
December 6, 2017 at 10:01 am

One of the best individual performances I’ve seen in a long time. And qb who was not russell wilson was sacked 10 times sunday night.

commentawaitingdeletion says:

December 6, 2017 at 10:14 am

One of the most exciting players in the game, it’s a pleasure to watch him play.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Russ will play to his mid 40s and Pete will still be coaching in his early 80s.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see Russell's career evolve if he indeed does play into his late 30's and early 40's.

Healthwise I have no doubt he will keep his body in great shape. But what we'll have to see is how much his quickness and allusiveness age.

Brady's different, he just catches the snap, moves laterally or backwards 2-3 yards and throws it. Russell relies heavily on his allusiveness and quickness to break contain and make plays. Might not be easy for him to maintain this style into his late 30's and early 40's as he ages, slows down and sustains more injuries.

toffee

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1p07gdy5 said:
Russ will play to his mid 40s and Pete will still be coaching in his early 80s.

That may not be a bad combo, Pete is full of energy and has shown no sign of slowing down.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I believe that Russ will be able to play his "style" of football for at least another 10 years. We have the potential to be dominate while Russ is here......he is definitely not our "weak link".

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It really depends on how he changes his game. Somewhere in his mid-30's he'll lose that explosive first step that stops defensive linemen in their tracks. At that point his escapability will suffer and his play will fall to 2016 levels (not bad but not great). But if he changes his game and gets better at defensive reads and becomes less reliant on his houdini acts, he'll play for many years.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2b3mqn64 said:
It really depends on how he changes his game. Somewhere in his mid-30's he'll lose that explosive first step that stops defensive linemen in their tracks. At that point his escapability will suffer and his play will fall to 2016 levels (not bad but not great). But if he changes his game and gets better at defensive reads and becomes less reliant on his houdini acts, he'll play for many years.

Unless we actually evolve to an oline that can block reliably of course. Pete will no longer be here, so we can assume that the next staff will more then likely have closer to 50/50 allocation for offense and defense.

stizz19

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3a6ds3m1 said:
It'll be interesting to see Russell's career evolve if he indeed does play into his late 30's and early 40's.

Healthwise I have no doubt he will keep his body in great shape. But what we'll have to see is how much his quickness and allusiveness age.

Brady's different, he just catches the snap, moves laterally or backwards 2-3 yards and throws it. Russell relies heavily on his allusiveness and quickness to break contain and make plays. Might not be easy for him to maintain this style into his late 30's and early 40's as he ages, slows down and sustains more injuries.
By his late 30s he'll have no choice but to become a pocket QB 90% of the time, no way he'll be able to outrun a 23 year old defensive end

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2157z8yb said:

Brady has lasted this long because of how he does it and he can see over the line.
RW is not going to last like Brady..I'm sorry but he will have to untrain a lot of what makes him so good.
That would turn him into a average at best QB and his height does him no favors when he ages.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
IndyHawk":d6zovqet said:
Sgt. Largent":d6zovqet said:

Brady has lasted this long because of how he does it and he can see over the line.
RW is not going to last like Brady..I'm sorry but he will have to untrain a lot of what makes him so good.
That would turn him into a average at best QB and his height does him no favors when he ages.
So, tell me how the shorty Brees does it again? Oh, wait-those two inches are really helping him. Never mind... :sarcasm_on:

sutz

Reaction score
homerun1970":192ostt2 said:
Are you kidding with aging he is only going to get shorter. :sarcasm_off:
No way. He has a stretching coach. He'll be 6'2" by the time he retires.

:twisted:

Josea16

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":te6pw178 said:
I believe that Russ will be able to play his "style" of football for at least another 10 years. We have the potential to be dominate while Russ is here......he is definitely not our "weak link".
Given one of the quarterbacks that he is very similar to (Fran Tarkenton) played 18 years in a far tougher era at 6 feet tall I completely agree. With very slight changes to "his" style and actually spending at least 50% of the cap on offense I could see him playing another 15 years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
stizz19":1yza82wq said:
Sgt. Largent":1yza82wq said:

By his late 30s he'll have no choice but to become a pocket QB 90% of the time, no way he'll be able to outrun a 23 year old defensive end

Perhaps he'll just slow down to the speed of Rodgers. Rodgers can't outrun a 23-year-old defensive end, but he can still buy enough time to do work outside the pocket.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
homerun1970":1it09gu5 said:
Are you kidding with aging he is only going to get shorter. :sarcasm_off:

That's a good point.

It will be an uphill battle for our beloved RW.

Than again, looking up is something he's done most his life and with his work ethic he might just make it to forty in the NFL...

[youtube]k5L0wgMdvn0[/youtube]

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3uh78gn0 said:
Perhaps he'll just slow down to the speed of Rodgers. Rodgers can't outrun a 23-year-old defensive end, but he can still buy enough time to do work outside the pocket.

^until he can't and breaks something.........oooops