Best Seahawks game of the 1970's

Giblien

Reaction score
So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?

907Hawk

Reaction score
Giblien":26lvslot said:
So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?

The Seahawks 31-29 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football Oct. 29, 1979

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
907Hawk":1fi5tjnp said:
Giblien":1fi5tjnp said:

The Seahawks 31-29 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football Oct. 29, 1979

Right game, wrong score. 31-28 Seattle over Atlanta on what I believe was our 1st MNF appearance. This is THE game that got me forever hooked as a Seahawk fan. Efrin Herrera fakes a FG attempt to haul in a Zorn pass for a 1st down. Hard fought victory that started the trend of all of our MNF success.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
907Hawk":jie0igyy said:

That’s a good call.
I’m going with the 30 to 13, 4 interception thumping the Seahawks gave to those very same Falcons in ‘76.

It would be their second and only win that first year. They wouldn’t beat another non-expansion team for almost a full year.

Of course their second win, from a real team, was pretty sweet as well 56 to 17 over the Bills, but by then we were sure they were getting GOOOOOOD, 4 and 17 for their existence. :irishdrinkers:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
907Hawk":1utg438m said:
Giblien":1utg438m said:

This was a fun game. But the game that I keep recalling is the win over the Oakland Raiders in 1978. They won on and Herrera field goal in final play.
[youtube]dtgvca58_Og[/youtube]

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I missed the 70's and early 80's but I'd like to participate. 87 beating the Chicago Bears in Chicago 24-21 (Walter Payton's last game in Chicago too). 88 beating Denver in Denver 21-14 first game of the season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OMG!! how well I remember...The Seahawks were pretty awful back then, but, through all the wins & LOSSES, they were still >MY< "awful" Seahawks.
There are a LOT LOT LOT of Seahawks fans who I don't think have any got-damned room to COMPLAIN about Pete Carroll's tenure here.....Zilch, None, Nada, Zero.....Super Bowl Champions, and CONTENDERS EVER SINCE!!!! GOOOOO!!! SEAHAAAAAWWKS!!!!!!!

evergreen

Reaction score
I'm liking that same Oakland raiders game. It was down there and after we beat them up hear. I listened to it in the radio. I forget who our first announcers were Pete gross I think.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
hawkfan68":14ve8jw1 said:
907Hawk":14ve8jw1 said:
Giblien":14ve8jw1 said:

This was a fun game. But the game that I keep recalling is the win over the Oakland Raiders in 1978. They won on and Herrera field goal in final play.
[youtube]dtgvca58_Og[/youtube]
Viva!

Nice find! That was enjoyable to watch. Got caught by surprise on the first Hawks TD at 3:30, "Zorn dropped back and fired long. At the other end was receiver Steve......... RAIBLE"

Haha, Raibs. Them were the days.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":33ax6214 said:
It was the 2nd game of that Raiders sweep... Which was HUGE because the Raiders hadn't been swept since the early 60's by any AFC West team.

It was so monumental, that sweep - that John Freaking' Madden retired as head coach of the Raiders, and cited it later in his first year as a broadcaster as one of the reasons he left the game... he said that the Kingdome was a "nightmare" to coach in if you are the away team. Sound familiar?

All those stupid idiots who fill out the cards as "fans" of other teams in the NFL remain completely ignorant of how loud it was in the old Kingdome. In fact, it might have been louder back in that era than it is now... more bluecollar fans who were more excited than today's crowd.

Yet all we hear are blah blah bandwagon blah blah they were only good in recent years, there were no fans before blah blah blah.

Especially from 49er morons - which brings me to another game that was memorable for me, because I was there. Now, none of those ninny fans have been on their "bandwagon" long enough to remember a Joe Montana/Bill Walsh led 49er team getting blown the hell out in the Kingdom like 56 to 13 or some ungodly score... was the last game of pre-season, I think 79' or 80' when the NFL took the Pre-season a little more seriously.

I remember Joe Montana just generally confused in that noise and the Seahawks just blasting the hell out of them.

There was also a Buffalo game where we blew them out by 50 points or so that I remember well.
I remember that Monday night game well ..As for the noise I have been in that dome when it was in full blast mode
and I have my doubts that the Clink beats that.
I haven't been to the Clink so maybe not but man you never forget being in the dome at full blast loud.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":159jzlfx said:
907Hawk":159jzlfx said:
Giblien":159jzlfx said:

Right game, wrong score. 31-28 Seattle over Atlanta on what I believe was our 1st MNF appearance. This is THE game that got me forever hooked as a Seahawk fan. Efrin Herrera fakes a FG attempt to haul in a Zorn pass for a 1st down. Hard fought victory that started the trend of all of our MNF success.
I will NEVER forget that game!!! I was 12 years old and still remember my whole family jumping up and down celebrating in the living room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Some great memories. But for me it was my first ever live game. A pre-season game in 79 vs. the Cowboys. And that was when the Cowboys were just loaded w/hall of fame players etc. Just experiencing it for the first time was incredible. I remember actually thinking the Kingdome was massive. But when you're a 10 year old kid, that's how it looks.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Not 70's but one of my favorites (1983)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311270sea.htm

Seahawks 51 Chiefs 48 OT win.

We had 14 points at halftime, down 2 touchdowns, and scored 37 points in the 2nd half/OT to win without playing a lick of defense lol.

the Over/Under was 46.5, both teams beat that all by themselves :0190l:

The back and forth was similar to the Texans game this year (X) 5. I was 14 and the ups and downs of my emotions was so exhausting I just collapsed face first on the carpet in front of my 19 inch TV and didn't move for what seemed like an hour (surely it was a minute or two).

hawkpride

Reaction score
Ok all you old farts, just let me say "the wave". Might not be the best game, but was part of them all.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There was a game, must have been late 80's/early 90's, Hawks were pretty bad at the time. And there was 7 waves going on at the same time. It was against Atlanta. That was crazy.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
IndyHawk":30dfg6hk said:
The_Z_Man":30dfg6hk said:
It was the 2nd game of that Raiders sweep... Which was HUGE because the Raiders hadn't been swept since the early 60's by any AFC West team.

It was so monumental, that sweep - that John Freaking' Madden retired as head coach of the Raiders, and cited it later in his first year as a broadcaster as one of the reasons he left the game... he said that the Kingdome was a "nightmare" to coach in if you are the away team. Sound familiar?

All those stupid idiots who fill out the cards as "fans" of other teams in the NFL remain completely ignorant of how loud it was in the old Kingdome. In fact, it might have been louder back in that era than it is now... more bluecollar fans who were more excited than today's crowd.

Yet all we hear are blah blah bandwagon blah blah they were only good in recent years, there were no fans before blah blah blah.

Especially from 49er morons - which brings me to another game that was memorable for me, because I was there. Now, none of those ninny fans have been on their "bandwagon" long enough to remember a Joe Montana/Bill Walsh led 49er team getting blown the hell out in the Kingdom like 56 to 13 or some ungodly score... was the last game of pre-season, I think 79' or 80' when the NFL took the Pre-season a little more seriously.

I remember Joe Montana just generally confused in that noise and the Seahawks just blasting the hell out of them.

There was also a Buffalo game where we blew them out by 50 points or so that I remember well.
I remember that Monday night game well ..As for the noise I have been in that dome when it was in full blast mode
and I have my doubts that the Clink beats that.
I haven't been to the Clink so maybe not but man you never forget being in the dome at full blast loud.

There were times in the dome that literally felt unsafe due to the thunderous noise and the concrete stands rolling with the waves. As loud as the Clink can be, and I've been there when you couldn't hear the person next to you, I've never felt that way like I did in the Kingdome.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is about the 70's.

The growing pains, coming of age and the making of Heros.

chris98251

Reaction score
No they weren't, it was the beginning of the end for the type of play we see now, rules and more rules to protect the QB and the type of blocking and tackling were introduced and the advertisement for TV revenue escalated in the 80's. The game changed.