Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Best Seahawks game of the 1970's

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Best Seahawks game of the 1970's
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm
  • So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?
    Giblien
    NET Veteran

Re: Best Seahawks game of the 1970's
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:50 pm
  • Giblien wrote:So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?

Viva Efren Herrera!
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm
  • Giblien wrote:So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?

The Seahawks 31-29 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football Oct. 29, 1979
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm
  • 907Hawk wrote:
    Giblien wrote:So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?

The Seahawks 31-29 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football Oct. 29, 1979

Right game, wrong score. 31-28 Seattle over Atlanta on what I believe was our 1st MNF appearance. This is THE game that got me forever hooked as a Seahawk fan. Efrin Herrera fakes a FG attempt to haul in a Zorn pass for a 1st down. Hard fought victory that started the trend of all of our MNF success.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 pm
  • 907Hawk wrote:

That’s a good call.
    I’m going with the 30 to 13, 4 interception thumping the Seahawks gave to those very same Falcons in ‘76.

It would be their second and only win that first year. They wouldn’t beat another non-expansion team for almost a full year.

Of course their second win, from a real team, was pretty sweet as well 56 to 17 over the Bills, but by then we were sure they were getting GOOOOOOD, 4 and 17 for their existence. :irishdrinkers:
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 pm
  • 907Hawk wrote:
    Giblien wrote:So, I was born in 1982. I didn't get to see any of the Seahawks games in the 70's. Just curious: for those of you who were fortunate enough to watch the Hawks in the 70's, what do you think was the best game of the 70's?

This was a fun game. But the game that I keep recalling is the win over the Oakland Raiders in 1978. They won on and Herrera field goal in final play.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm
  • I missed the 70's and early 80's but I'd like to participate. 87 beating the Chicago Bears in Chicago 24-21 (Walter Payton's last game in Chicago too). 88 beating Denver in Denver 21-14 first game of the season.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 pm
  • OMG!! how well I remember...The Seahawks were pretty awful back then, but, through all the wins & LOSSES, they were still >MY< "awful" Seahawks.
    There are a LOT LOT LOT of Seahawks fans who I don't think have any got-damned room to COMPLAIN about Pete Carroll's tenure here.....Zilch, None, Nada, Zero.....Super Bowl Champions, and CONTENDERS EVER SINCE!!!! GOOOOO!!! SEAHAAAAAWWKS!!!!!!!
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 pm
  • I'm liking that same Oakland raiders game. It was down there and after we beat them up hear. I listened to it in the radio. I forget who our first announcers were Pete gross I think.
    evergreen
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    907Hawk wrote:

This was a fun game. But the game that I keep recalling is the win over the Oakland Raiders in 1978. They won on and Herrera field goal in final play.

Viva!

Nice find! That was enjoyable to watch. Got caught by surprise on the first Hawks TD at 3:30, "Zorn dropped back and fired long. At the other end was receiver Steve......... RAIBLE"

Haha, Raibs. Them were the days.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pm
  • It was the 2nd game of that Raiders sweep... Which was HUGE because the Raiders hadn't been swept since the early 60's by any AFC West team.

It was so monumental, that sweep - that John Freaking' Madden retired as head coach of the Raiders, and cited it later in his first year as a broadcaster as one of the reasons he left the game... he said that the Kingdome was a "nightmare" to coach in if you are the away team. Sound familiar?

All those stupid idiots who fill out the cards as "fans" of other teams in the NFL remain completely ignorant of how loud it was in the old Kingdome. In fact, it might have been louder back in that era than it is now... more bluecollar fans who were more excited than today's crowd.

Yet all we hear are blah blah bandwagon blah blah they were only good in recent years, there were no fans before blah blah blah.

Especially from 49er morons - which brings me to another game that was memorable for me, because I was there. Now, none of those ninny fans have been on their "bandwagon" long enough to remember a Joe Montana/Bill Walsh led 49er team getting blown the hell out in the Kingdom like 56 to 13 or some ungodly score... was the last game of pre-season, I think 79' or 80' when the NFL took the Pre-season a little more seriously.

I remember Joe Montana just generally confused in that noise and the Seahawks just blasting the hell out of them.

There was also a Buffalo game where we blew them out by 50 points or so that I remember well.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:54 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:It was the 2nd game of that Raiders sweep... Which was HUGE because the Raiders hadn't been swept since the early 60's by any AFC West team.

It was so monumental, that sweep - that John Freaking' Madden retired as head coach of the Raiders, and cited it later in his first year as a broadcaster as one of the reasons he left the game... he said that the Kingdome was a "nightmare" to coach in if you are the away team. Sound familiar?

All those stupid idiots who fill out the cards as "fans" of other teams in the NFL remain completely ignorant of how loud it was in the old Kingdome. In fact, it might have been louder back in that era than it is now... more bluecollar fans who were more excited than today's crowd.

Yet all we hear are blah blah bandwagon blah blah they were only good in recent years, there were no fans before blah blah blah.

Especially from 49er morons - which brings me to another game that was memorable for me, because I was there. Now, none of those ninny fans have been on their "bandwagon" long enough to remember a Joe Montana/Bill Walsh led 49er team getting blown the hell out in the Kingdom like 56 to 13 or some ungodly score... was the last game of pre-season, I think 79' or 80' when the NFL took the Pre-season a little more seriously.

I remember Joe Montana just generally confused in that noise and the Seahawks just blasting the hell out of them.

There was also a Buffalo game where we blew them out by 50 points or so that I remember well.

I remember that Monday night game well ..As for the noise I have been in that dome when it was in full blast mode
    and I have my doubts that the Clink beats that.
    I haven't been to the Clink so maybe not but man you never forget being in the dome at full blast loud.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 am
  • LudwigsDrummer wrote:
    907Hawk wrote:

Right game, wrong score. 31-28 Seattle over Atlanta on what I believe was our 1st MNF appearance. This is THE game that got me forever hooked as a Seahawk fan. Efrin Herrera fakes a FG attempt to haul in a Zorn pass for a 1st down. Hard fought victory that started the trend of all of our MNF success.

I will NEVER forget that game!!! I was 12 years old and still remember my whole family jumping up and down celebrating in the living room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:59 am
  • Some great memories. But for me it was my first ever live game. A pre-season game in 79 vs. the Cowboys. And that was when the Cowboys were just loaded w/hall of fame players etc. Just experiencing it for the first time was incredible. I remember actually thinking the Kingdome was massive. But when you're a 10 year old kid, that's how it looks.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am
  • 907Hawk wrote:
    Giblien wrote:The Seahawks 31-29 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football Oct. 29, 1979

My vote as well.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 am
  • Not 70's but one of my favorites (1983)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311270sea.htm

Seahawks 51 Chiefs 48 OT win.

We had 14 points at halftime, down 2 touchdowns, and scored 37 points in the 2nd half/OT to win without playing a lick of defense lol.

the Over/Under was 46.5, both teams beat that all by themselves :0190l:

The back and forth was similar to the Texans game this year (X) 5. I was 14 and the ups and downs of my emotions was so exhausting I just collapsed face first on the carpet in front of my 19 inch TV and didn't move for what seemed like an hour (surely it was a minute or two).
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm
  • Ok all you old farts, just let me say "the wave". Might not be the best game, but was part of them all.
    Kam Chancellor
    Sherman says Chancellor 'damages people's souls'
    hawkpride
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:55 pm
  • There was a game, must have been late 80's/early 90's, Hawks were pretty bad at the time. And there was 7 waves going on at the same time. It was against Atlanta. That was crazy.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:It was the 2nd game of that Raiders sweep... Which was HUGE because the Raiders hadn't been swept since the early 60's by any AFC West team.

I remember that Monday night game well ..As for the noise I have been in that dome when it was in full blast mode
    I haven't been to the Clink so maybe not but man you never forget being in the dome at full blast loud.

There were times in the dome that literally felt unsafe due to the thunderous noise and the concrete stands rolling with the waves. As loud as the Clink can be, and I've been there when you couldn't hear the person next to you, I've never felt that way like I did in the Kingdome.
    imnKOgnito
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:43 pm
  • imnKOgnito wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:It was the 2nd game of that Raiders sweep... Which was HUGE because the Raiders hadn't been swept since the early 60's by any AFC West team.

There were times in the dome that literally felt unsafe due to the thunderous noise and the concrete stands rolling with the waves. As loud as the Clink can be, and I've been there when you couldn't hear the person next to you, I've never felt that way like I did in the Kingdome.

I was at a playoff game in the early 80's vs the Broncos, was a wildcard I believe -- and it was so freaking loud in there I really did think the thing was going to collapse... and after the game we went down to the pier for Ivars Fish n Chips (an old tradition) and I remember being so deaf that I couldn't hear the seagulls - and when my uncle talked to me it sounded like he was at the end of a hallway... ha!
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 am
  • This is about the 70's.

The growing pains, coming of age and the making of Heros.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 am
  • Unbunch your panties.

The late 70's and early 80's were the same freaking era...

Zorn, Largent, Brown, et.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 pm
  • No they weren't, it was the beginning of the end for the type of play we see now, rules and more rules to protect the QB and the type of blocking and tackling were introduced and the advertisement for TV revenue escalated in the 80's. The game changed.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 pm
  • It had to be after Montana got slaughtered by Carl Banks in NFC title game..89-90?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:40 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:No they weren't, it was the beginning of the end for the type of play we see now, rules and more rules to protect the QB and the type of blocking and tackling were introduced and the advertisement for TV revenue escalated in the 80's. The game changed.

You're completely wrong. The major major rule changes that changed the game to a pass orientated affair happened in 74 (receiver can't be tackled or held at the line of scrimmage), 77 (Head slaps now illegal -- totally made it easier for offensive line to defend QB), 78 (Receiver can't be hit until they are 5 yards down the field), 82 (no spearing QB's or WR's with helmet), 85 (QB can kneel and kill the play to run out the clock, QB can slide and not get hit), and 93 (QB can throw the ball away out of bounds, if in the vicinity of receiver, or in bounds if outside the stripes and not face intentional grounding call).

It could be argued that they REALLY didn't get strict about enforcing the 5 yard rule (which was put in in 78) until the 87 season...

But really 76 to 85 was pretty much the same era of football. 86 to 95 was another.....

Furthermore, those 70's Seahawks were an expansion team, and the early 80's Seahawks were a culmination of those building years. 84 was the end game of the first generation Seahawk team and would have been a Superbowl Championship year had Warner not gone down.

85/86 was the big transition -- the game changed dramatically and no team that did not have big money or revenue had a chance -- which was why the Nordstroms sold the team, and which was why the salary cap was eventually implemented.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:36 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:No they weren't, it was the beginning of the end for the type of play we see now, rules and more rules to protect the QB and the type of blocking and tackling were introduced and the advertisement for TV revenue escalated in the 80's. The game changed.

You're completely wrong. The major major rule changes that changed the game to a pass orientated affair happened in 74 (receiver can't be tackled or held at the line of scrimmage), 77 (Head slaps now illegal -- totally made it easier for offensive line to defend QB), 78 (Receiver can't be hit until they are 5 yards down the field), 82 (no spearing QB's or WR's with helmet), 85 (QB can kneel and kill the play to run out the clock, QB can slide and not get hit), and 93 (QB can throw the ball away out of bounds, if in the vicinity of receiver, or in bounds if outside the stripes and not face intentional grounding call).

It could be argued that they REALLY didn't get strict about enforcing the 5 yard rule (which was put in in 78) until the 87 season...

But really 76 to 85 was pretty much the same era of football. 86 to 95 was another.....

Furthermore, those 70's Seahawks were an expansion team, and the early 80's Seahawks were a culmination of those building years. 84 was the end game of the first generation Seahawk team and would have been a Superbowl Championship year had Warner not gone down.

85/86 was the big transition -- the game changed dramatically and no team that did not have big money or revenue had a chance -- which was why the Nordstroms sold the team, and which was why the salary cap was eventually implemented.

The 70's were the beginning of big broadcasting in football, why do you think they started adding expansion teams ?

Monday Night Football had taken off big time, the whole broadcasting format changed, the bidding for games became bigger piles of money and while roiling slow at first became faster and bigger each year.

They also started implementing the rules to protect the QB because of QB's being the Headliners on teams, the rules had been talked about because of some guy named Namath getting hurt and being the biggest contract in Football at the time. He was all over the media and the NFL wanted to cash in on the publicity these guys garnered.

You have to remember that rules implemented and rules discussed and talked about are not always happening right away.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 am

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information