Bogus Offsides Penalty on Frank Clark

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was rewatching the game last night and thought that didn't looked right, so I paused the DVR as soon as the ball was hiked and took a picture.

As you can see, the ball is already gone, and Frank is just starting to move.

Off20Sides20BS zpsn7inmahs

To add insult to injury, the next play the Eagles Olineman grabs Jarran Reed's face mask, pushes his head backwards, then yanks it forwards...no call.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Didn't notice the play against Reed, but that offsides seemed awful close and questionable

kidhawk

Reaction score
I haven't rewatched this game yet, but in real time, there were quite a few bad calls, but at least they went both directions. Bad officiating that's balanced is more tolerable to watch than when it appears to be one-sided.

Exittium

Reaction score
Believe that’s when the center also looked left and right, basically he was in motion

cymatica

Reaction score
Yet the narrative, again, is the refs help Seattle because they wouldn't stop talking about the lateral.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":4obltcvb said:
I haven't rewatched this game yet, but in real time, there were quite a few bad calls, but at least they went both directions. Bad officiating that's balanced is more tolerable to watch than when it appears to be one-sided.
100% Agreed.
I thought that for the most part, that because this was expected to be a highly touted game between a couple of Dominant NFC teams, that the Refs were MAYBE instructed to "Let Them Play", and call it as even as is humanly possibly.
I thought that there were some missed calls, but they were few and far between and went both ways for both teams.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I saw that live, and you are correct. One thing I didn't see anyone talking about was the Eagle Center, moving the ball forward every time he hiked the ball. Two times when it was very short yardage, the center lifted and pushed the ball past the line to gain, while standing the ball on its tip, as indicated by the TV produced line to gain. If he would have just let go of the ball it would be an 18" or so movement of the ball.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Didn't they call it a neutral zone infraction though? That can be pre-snap. Where was his hand before the ball was snapped?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In live action it looked close. Even to the point where it looked offsides.

Frank isn't a superstar player who will get that kind of consideration. Yet. But if he continues to emerge, and a body of work is produced where he's better known for his insane getoff -- he's going to start to get the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of bang-bang plays.

Dude is a stud. He's already extremely good. And he's not even come close to his ceiling. Honestly, if he ascends to where I think he can go, he's going to eclipse Bennett/Avril in their primes by a pretty good margin.

Clark is the next generation of superstar on this defense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":18l4gytk said:

Frank isn't a superstar player who will get that kind of consideration. Yet. But if he continues to emerge, and a body of work is produced where he's better known for his insane getoff -- he's going to start to get the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of bang-bang plays.

Dude is a stud. He's already extremely good. And he's not even come close to his ceiling. Honestly, if he ascends to where I think he can go, he's going to eclipse Bennett/Avril in their primes by a pretty good margin.

I just got shivers.

And they say we haven't been drafting well since 2013...

mikeak

Reaction score
The real issue is that they are trying to look at the clock, players moving on either side etc there are a lot of pieces.

You simply will not get the benefit of a doubt if you are lined up in a stance behind the line and moves early even if you don't cross before the ball.

The way to do that is by being further back and then running up to the line somehow making it clear you haven't crossed. It makes it easier for the refs to see and they normally get those players right. Clark and Bennett aren't lined up in those positions and will continue to get called offsides every single time when they do this

For the record it happened in the Atlanta game against Bennett as well or maybe it was the 49ers game but it was clear. he moves early but doesn't cross before the ball - sack negated.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1xqfhic5 said:
Attyla the Hawk":1xqfhic5 said:

I just got shivers.

And they say we haven't been drafting well since 2013...

Plus Malik has all the physical tools to be a monster as well assuming he progresses with his rehab. Lock up Sheldon and there's your core for the next 5+ years.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter. We would have been pissed about the call of the QB's arm going forward made by the referee, even though the ball traveled backwards.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":3byangfd said:
The real issue is that they are trying to look at the clock, players moving on either side etc there are a lot of pieces.

You simply will not get the benefit of a doubt if you are lined up in a stance behind the line and moves early even if you don't cross before the ball.

The way to do that is by being further back and then running up to the line somehow making it clear you haven't crossed. It makes it easier for the refs to see and they normally get those players right. Clark and Bennett aren't lined up in those positions and will continue to get called offsides every single time when they do this

For the record it happened in the Atlanta game against Bennett as well or maybe it was the 49ers game but it was clear. he moves early but doesn't cross before the ball - sack negated.

Unless you are the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Superbowl. That "all the elements of a hold" play still haunts my dreams. My opinion is it was the final nail in that brutal farce of a game.