Pete and evolving the team

nwHawk

Reaction score
It's been stated over and over that Pete is stuck on "the same old run offense" and play defense mindset. Are we all missing that Pete has evolved to more of a "ball control offense"? Meaning, Pete doesn't care if we run, or pass, as long as we can control the ball at key moments in the game.

Score when it matters most, and let the opposing team's "think" they are in control as they may be building a false sense of security. Keep our team engaged in the moment, and strike like a big brother that knows he can do what he wants most of the time. If so, this may just be genius. I think there is more to Pete and all of the psychology that he has learned over time.

Dare I say it, but some of this could have been borrowed from Chip Kelly and Bellicheat.

original poster

Reaction score
No doubt there’s a change identity this season, they’re using their franchise QB to his full potential, and it’s working.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
original poster":2ndgr1kt said:
No doubt there’s a change identity this season, they’re using their franchise QB to his full potential, and it’s working.

I'm not sure this is an evolution as such, more a necessity based around Plan A not really working.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":dwmhf10h said:
original poster":dwmhf10h said:

I'm not sure this is an evolution as such, more a necessity based around Plan A not really working.

This.

My guess is whatever happens the rest of the season, Pete will still want to go into the off season and next year trying to go back to his old ways. Which is not "evolving."

Seymour

Reaction score
Not.

End of 2015 we "evolved" only to revert back in 2016.

Getting things to change is much like pulling teeth here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Not having a viable Run Game, and an O-Line that's been SUCKING for the first half in last three Seasons, Pete has no choice but to rely on a savvy & athletic Russell Wilson to take up the slack.
Pete would be a damned fool if he DIDN'T continue to do his due diligence at trying to reestablish the Run Game.
It's only wrong if he quits trying to expand on his Offensive Options.
So, every year is an evolution, Pete has to start with a new deck, and has to play the cards he's dealt....Russell Wilson is Pete's "ACE UP THE SLEEVE" :stirthepot:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I like Pete, he is incredible stubborn about certain things. And, yes, it does get annoying.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pete has a winning formula and it's hard to blame him for sticking to his guns.

I think the big thing for Pete is being a developmental organization intent on bringing out the best in young guys. That means constantly bringing in young guys and not relying on savvy veterans. As such, simpler schemes tend to work best in such a program. Play solid Cover 1 zone or zone/man concepts, control your gaps, run to the ball and tackle well on defense. On offense run the ball and play action off that into chunk plays.

It only breaks down when the developmental process goes awry like it has with the OL not developing as we'd hoped. But with a functional OL, Pete's ideas work fabulously. No need to really evolve.

But he's definitely had to move to plan B with this team's offense. He will still try to get us back to plan A and I'm all for that. I believe and solid run game and pass game are keys to winning. You look at teams like ATL, NO, LAR, PHI with explosive high scoring offenses and they are adept at both running and passing. You want to be able to do both. Right now we are like GB, entirely reliant on our QB. That's not how Pete wants it as you can see how screwed GB was this year by being too dependent on one guy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not sure I am as optimistic the rest of you, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Because every time I think that we learned something, we go back to being stupid.

I honestly think the game has passed Pete by, but only because he seems like the old dog that cannot learn new tricks.

We keep getting lulled into a belief that now we figured it out and things will be different, this time we are going to ride our All Everything QB and great cast of receivers to wins. But for every Houston game, where it looks like we figure it out - we have a Redskins game, where we keep insisting we don't need to score much and we really need to slam the ball into their stacked line repeatedly.

So we will see.

Is the Eagles game an example of us finally figuring it out, or are we going to go right back to the same crap we did before?

Beating the Eagles does not matter unless we show that we can adapt with this new approach (old approach) and win repeatedly with it. Or hell, just be reasonably competitive.

It only took our coaching staff 3 full years to learn how to use our TE that they used a crapton of cap space on, traded a 1st draft pick for, and then destroyed our run game in order to make the deal - all to have a TE we would repeatedly try to force to block or use as a decoy to toss it to someone nowhere near as effective.

If we make it to the playoffs, or at least go on a run with this offensive approach - then it might be worth believing. But right now we have plenty of games in the past that seemed to show how a Seahawk offense could be the driving force to wins...only to watch us force a terrible run game to at least be less terrible by forcing almost all our offense through it.

So far we have a few games with what seems to be an effective approach, but a whole lot of losses and near losses in the past with what clearly is an ineffective approach. But our coaches clung to that ineffective approach repeatedly in the past.

We will see if they can finally figure it out.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Its happening boys and its beautiful :irishdrinkers:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The way Russell is playing, we could win a Super Bowl this year. But you can't expect to strike gold every year.

Personally, I LOVE Pete's formula. Especially with a QB like Russell, I would love for us to run the ball really well. Because defenses would truly have to pick their poison. I also would love to have Sherm and Kam back

Certain things aren't sustainable. My biggest fear with fans is if we win this year we'll fall under the false illusion that we don't need certain players back. Things change every year. But a strong defense and running game will ALWAYS win games

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IrishNW":wx3mjgd7 said:
Its happening boys and its beautiful :irishdrinkers:
This. I’m glad they finally figured it out, though it should not have taken so long.

Chuck Knox was one stubborn old mule of a coach, but in a season where they lost Curt Warner to a severe knee injury, he turned “Ground Chuck” into “Air Knox” on a dime, and the Hawks had one of their most successful seasons to that point.

Quick adjustments are not the current coaching staff’s strength.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but some of y'all are just flat out smokin' some bad shit.
I too loved me some Chuck Knox, great Coach, fantastic guy, but he never took our Seahawks to a SB, let alone WIN ONE, and with an injury riddled Defense, challenged for another one shortly thereafter, coming within a whiskers hair of winning that one too.
On top of all this ^^^^^ That darned Old Pete "Stubbornly" COACHED the Seahawks to winning the NFC WEST, + the NFC conference Championship, Playoffs, Playoffs & MORE PLAYOFFS....But he doesn't know what he's doing??????????????????

IrishNW

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1xqsremf said:
I too loved me some Chuck Knox, great Coach, fantastic guy, but he never took our Seahawks to a SB, let alone WIN ONE, and with an injury riddled Defense, challenged for another one shortly thereafter, coming within a whiskers hair of winning that one too.
On top of all this ^^^^^ That darned Old Pete "Stubbornly" COACHED the Seahawks to winning the NFC WEST, + the NFC conference Championship, Playoffs, Playoffs & MORE PLAYOFFS....But he doesn't know what he's doing??????????????????

Its not that I dont want us to run the football its that I dont want that old offense back. I want a running game that compliments the passing game not the other way around.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IrishNW":2smjmp76 said:
scutterhawk":2smjmp76 said:

Its not that I dont want us to run the football its that I dont want that old offense back. I want a running game that compliments the passing game not the other way around.
I couldn't agree more...Russell Wilson IS & SHOULD remain priority #1, that being said though, without even a mediocre Run Game, all Defenses will put a spy on Wilson, and keep stacking the box.
There's no Seahawks RB, at the moment, that is helping to keep Defenses honest...There's an imbalance in our offensive attack that Pete is trying to mend.

IrishNW

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2nh4y8e8 said:
IrishNW":2nh4y8e8 said:
scutterhawk":2nh4y8e8 said:

I couldn't agree more...Russell Wilson IS & SHOULD remain priority #1, that being said though, without even a mediocre Run Game, all Defenses will put a spy on Wilson, and keep stacking the box.
There's no Seahawks RB, at the moment, that is helping to keep Defenses honest...There's an imbalance in our offensive attack that Pete is trying to mend.

Disagree

Mike Davis did and can do just enough to keep the defense honest.