Wilson will be MVP because of Improv?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
NFL.com posted Bucky Brooks current nomination of RW for MVP. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-deserves-mvp-keenan-allen-deserves-spotlight

He points out all the things we already know about RW, but concludes with this paragraph:

"No. 3 not only escapes pressure with Houdini-level ability, but he deliberately runs around to create time and allow his receivers to shake free from coverage down the field. Although Wilson's sandlot-style playmaking looks nothing like the composed play that we see from others at the position, it is the main reason why he should be considered the league's MVP in 2017. Wilson's improvisation is the driving force behind Seattle's offense. Without it, the team wouldn't stand a chance in the NFC." [emphasis mine]

I love what Russ does a lot of the time he scrambles and makes things happen, but I'm not sure this enough of a reason to anoint him MVP.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":33rygkee said:
NFL.com posted Bucky Brooks current nomination of RW for MVP. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-deserves-mvp-keenan-allen-deserves-spotlight

He points out all the things we already know about RW, but concludes with this paragraph:

"No. 3 not only escapes pressure with Houdini-level ability, but he deliberately runs around to create time and allow his receivers to shake free from coverage down the field. Although Wilson's sandlot-style playmaking looks nothing like the composed play that we see from others at the position, it is the main reason why he should be considered the league's MVP in 2017. Wilson's improvisation is the driving force behind Seattle's offense. Without it, the team wouldn't stand a chance in the NFC." [emphasis mine]

I love what Russ does a lot of the time he scrambles and makes things happen, but I'm not sure this enough of a reason to anoint him MVP.

It earned Brett Favre 3 MVPs

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Good read. I've always liked what Bucky writes, he has also been good to us and is one of the solid sports journalist. To think that we have an MVP candidate and a possible DPOY is amazing. This season is really turning out to be a fun one.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It will all be moot if we fail to make the playoffs, or get in and go one and done. I assume the league favors MVPs that lead their team deep into the post season.

Stats are huge factors but I don't recall any MVPs where their team finished 10-6 or worse. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

If Russ can help guide this team to at least the NFC Championship, then I think his chances for MVP are nearly a lock.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
One of the greatest qbs of all time, Joe Montana (3rd round -- dropped because people said he was "undersized" -- sound familiar?) destroyed on the improvise. Ever heard of "The Play"?

rossob

Reaction score
Imo Russell is also a very good QB in general and has other things supporting him being the MVP like #1 total TDs & total yards. However, I think his main strength is definitely his ability to scramble and improvise which is also supported by him leading the team in rushing yards and being such a big percentage of our offense. He is not as good a passer as some other QBs (e.g. Brady), so if we would not take his special abilities into consideration, he would be out of the picture. But if we do he definitely deserves the MVP the most imo.

Aros unfortunately has a good point. For Wilson to become the MVP we need to get into the playoffs first and foremost. How deep probably depends on how the competition does. I feel the same ist true for Wagner. What do you think?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Think about it this way: Wilson leads all players with a 307.3 passing + rushing yards per game -- an average greater than the output of three teams (Baltimore, Cincinnati and Chicago). That's the kind of production that makes a player worthy of the game's most treasured individual award.

Wow.

I think Bucky also means improv separates him from the others. He is good enough to win it w/o it, but with it, it makes him the best play maker in the NFL. (and has for several seasons)

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Aros":3fdi9xdb said:
It will all be moot if we fail to make the playoffs, or get in and go one and done. I assume the league favors MVPs that lead their team deep into the post season.

Stats are huge factors but I don't recall any MVPs where their team finished 10-6 or worse. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

If Russ can help guide this team to at least the NFC Championship, then I think his chances for MVP are nearly a lock.

No offense but the playoffs have exactly zero impact on the MVP vote. Especially considering voting completes before the playoffs ever start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
He may indeed be MVP of the league if he completes another LATERAL this year. Fans from other teams will be furious with the no call and the NFL world would be forced to review the definition of forward passes yet again. The result would be an ammendment called the Wilson Transformation rule.
That's because Russell is more than a robot..He's a Transformer folks!
With Richard Sherman out for the year our qb has become the quiet leader of the Autobots!

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
What struck me was his implication that the improvisation is intentional on the coach's part. I hate to say it, but this article softened me toward Bevell--a bit. I still don't love the guy by any stretch, but Brooks does seem to justify the use of empty sets on 3rd down. (Now I just wish Wilson took more advantage of the running lanes they open up instead of going deep. McKissic to the rescue underneath?)

Brooks seems to suggest that they're kind of banking on the pocket breaking down, and baking some improvisation into the play, which might explain why it's looked lately--as the line has actually improved--like Wilson is bailing early. It's part of the script, but now the line is deviating from the script by playing better. Still a problem to work on, but a better problem than we had in the first quarter of the season.

Oh and yes, Wilson should totally win MVP.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":qiwekljk said:
Brooks does seem to justify the use of empty sets on 3rd down.

The stats themselves are doing that. More and more teams are finding effectiveness out of empty sets.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1obk2kbx said:
WindCityHawk":1obk2kbx said:

The stats themselves are doing that. More and more teams are finding effectiveness out of empty sets.

What is the defensive counter to this? Is the 4-2-5 a direct response to more empty sets?

It seems a 5-wide front should call for a defensive 5-man rush seeking to contain Russ, collapsing the pocket around him and giving him little outlet to scramble. But only having 6 DBs/LBrs in coverage should allow someone to break open a bit. Then it's up to Russ to see the open man quickly enough.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rh3a9p4v said:
WindCityHawk":rh3a9p4v said:

I haven't had time to watch many other games this year. I block out a few hours for the 'Hawks, but that's usually it. Interesting trend though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3bjsuy79 said:
MontanaHawk05":3bjsuy79 said:
WindCityHawk":3bjsuy79 said:

I haven't had time to watch many other games this year. I block out a few hours for the 'Hawks, but that's usually it. Interesting trend though.

It's not that I'm particularly a non-Seahawks watcher myself, but I did stumble upon the Twitter account of NFL Matchup on ESPN. Lots of great information. I recommend it.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I said it before. As much as he may deserve it, Wilson will not get the MVP. Brady will get it hands down. The golden boy is having a great year and the league can't hide the tent in their trousers over him.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ckorsy2 said:
WindCityHawk":1ckorsy2 said:
MontanaHawk05":1ckorsy2 said:
WindCityHawk":1ckorsy2 said:

It's not that I'm particularly a non-Seahawks watcher myself, but I did stumble upon the Twitter account of NFL Matchup on ESPN. Lots of great information. I recommend it.

Well hot damn.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/939209599407869957[/tweet]