Who To Root For: Seahawks Watchlist (Week 14)

Polaris

Reaction score
Everyone,

Here is a list of games and who we should root for looking at playoff implications for week 14. I admit that I should have started this last Thursday, but better late than never.

Looking back on Thursday, Saints@Atlanta was a game that was probably good for Seattle either way. Unfortunately Atlanta beat Seattle, which means that we lose any tiebreak (head to head) with Atlanta and that means to stay in a playoff slot, Seattle has to win on Sunday. That said, having the Saints lose is really helpful for Seattle because it opens up the possibility of a first round bye if Seattle can win out. It almost insures that the NFCS winner will likely have a worse record than the NFCW winner.

The Early (10am) Games:

Indy at Buffalo: This is an AFC game which doesn't affect us all that much, but if you care at all, root for Indy because an Indy win improves Seattle's SoV (for tiebreaks). Note that it will also improve that of the Rams but the Seahawks and Rams won't use this to tiebreak against each other. Either Seattle will win the division or the Rams will and it will be decided either by raw record, head to head, or division record.

Minny at Carolina: We want to root for the Panthers. Not only does a Carolina win help clear the decks of NFC pretenders in the playoffs, but it helps set up the Seahawks for a possible first round bye because it inflicts a Minny loss and puts pressure on both the Saints and Atlanta.

Chicago at Cincy: AFC game with no Sov implications for us. Don't care.

Green Bay @ Cleveland: Root for Cleveland. Not only does Cleveland badly need a win for simple pride, but Green Bay has a tiebreak on Seattle and having them lose would be helpful. I wouldn't count on it though (the Browns are really bad)

San Fran @ Houston: Root for Houston since this helps our SoV. Correction: We want to root for San Fran since we played them twice and Houston once.

Oakland @ KC: AFC game with no SoV so we don't care.

Detroit @ Tampa: Root for Tampa. Tampa can't catch Seattle in the playoff chase and Detroit can.

Dallas @ NY Giants: As unlikely as it is, root for the Giants. Giants are out but Dallas can still catch us.

The Late (1pm) Games:

Tenn @ Arizona: Root for the Titans. Not only does this help push the Cardinals out of the playoffs (always a good thing), but it also improves Seattle's Strength of Schedule for possible tiebreaks

NY Jets @ Denver: AFC game with no SoV/SoS implications for us, so we don't care

Washington @ LA Chargers: Root for the Chargers. Anything that pushes another NFC team out of the playoff race is good for us.

Philly @ LA Rams: This is a toughie (and subject of it's own thread). My instincts are to root for the Eagles so Seattle can get an advantage winning the division, but it's worth noting that a Rams win would set up Seattle nicely for a possible first round bye IF Seattle can take care of it's own business.

Seattle @ Jacksonville: DUH! We need to get as many wins as we can especially if we want to get a first round bye which is highly unlikely but still remotely possible. Root for the Seahawks!

Sunday Night:

Baltimore @ Pittsburgh: This is an AFC game with no SOS or SOV implications so we don't care

Monday Night:

New England @ Miami: This is an AFC game with no SoS or SoV implications so we don't care.

I hope this helps and as always, these opinions are strictly my own.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Polaris":5337r03g said:
San Fran @ Houston: Root for Houston since this helps our SoV.
I would have thought a SF win would help our SoV more since we play them twice instead of once.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
AgentDib":1kd9w221 said:
Polaris":1kd9w221 said:
San Fran @ Houston: Root for Houston since this helps our SoV.
I would have thought a SF win would help our SoV more since we play them twice instead of once.

I didn't think of that but you're right. I'll change the above post.

original poster

Reaction score
Nice post, thanks for sharing.

I’m still rooting for a Rams win Sunday!

Zeearend

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Really helpfull.

As I am only following Football 3 years now, I do not fully understood all the tie breaker rules yet. My Dutch Fox channel shows 5 games each week so this helps a lot to pick who to root for.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Wouldn’t we want to root for the Eagles since we have already beat them. Also, if we win and the Rams lose then we are tied the top of the NFC West with the tiebreaker in our favor.

If we beat the Rams the following week we basically have a game and a half lead on them in the division.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
zchurch74":3apaku6b said:
Wouldn’t we want to root for the Eagles since we have already beat them. Also, if we win and the Rams lose then we are tied the top of the NFC West with the tiebreaker in our favor.

If we beat the Rams the following week we basically have a game and a half lead on them in the division.

Here's the deal. I personally am going to root for the Eagles for exactly the reasons you've stated. It would put up a leg up on winning the division and IMHO that's the first priority.

That said there is a strong argument for rooting for the Rams. If you are confident that the Seahawks can hold serve the rest of the way, then a Rams win would put a loss on the Eagles. If you look at the Eagle's last three games, I might see one loss in their last three, but I don't see two. As such a Rams win would put the Seahawks in a good position to get a higher seed and potentially a first round bye esp given that New Orleans already lost.

Pick your poison.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Polaris":1i0mn73y said:
zchurch74":1i0mn73y said:

Here's the deal. I personally am going to root for the Eagles for exactly the reasons you've stated. It would put up a leg up on winning the division and IMHO that's the first priority.

That said there is a strong argument for rooting for the Rams. If you are confident that the Seahawks can hold serve the rest of the way, then a Rams win would put a loss on the Eagles. If you look at the Eagle's last three games, I might see one loss in their last three, but I don't see two. As such a Rams win would put the Seahawks in a good position to get a higher seed and potentially a first round bye esp given that New Orleans already lost.

Pick your poison.
Looks to me as long as we win, we are in a win-win regarding the Eagles game.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I don't think it matters very much whether the Vikings lose, and it could actually hurt us in the standings if they finish with the same record as us.

Vikings own the tiebreakers over the Seahawks. If the Vikings, Eagles, and Seahawks all finished 12-4 . . . our head to head win over the Eagles becomes irrelevant, and the Eagles and Vikings would receive the first round bye.

Therefore, Vikings' losses only help us if you believe they will finish with a worse record than the Seahawks. That would require the Vikings to lose at least three of their remaining four games.

If the Eagles and Seahawks are both 12-4, it would be better for the Seahawks if the Vikings finished 13-3 or 14-2. Then the Seahawks would own the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Eagles.

Yih2lm0

Vs.
JuHOXut

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1lbwsvn3 said:
I don't think it matters very much whether the Vikings lose, and it could actually hurt us in the standings if they finish with the same record as us.

Vikings own the tiebreakers over the Seahawks. If the Vikings, Eagles, and Seahawks all finished 12-4 . . . our head to head win over the Eagles becomes irrelevant, and the Eagles and Vikings would receive the first round bye.

Therefore, Vikings' losses only help us if you believe they will finish with a worse record than the Seahawks. That would require the Vikings to lose at least three of their remaining four games.

If the Eagles and Seahawks are both 12-4, it would be better for the Seahawks if the Vikings finished 13-3 or 14-2. Then the Seahawks would own the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Eagles.

Yih2lm0

Vs.
JuHOXut

I wonder why it becomes irrelevant.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":xqnsx5yb said:
hawknation2017":xqnsx5yb said:

Yih2lm0

Vs.
JuHOXut

I wonder why it becomes irrelevant.

I don't think it does. MIN would win its tiebreakers over both us and PHI, but then comes PHI vs SEA tiebreaker, which we win. It would be MIN-SEA-PHI in that scenario.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
No, in a three-way-tie situation, the head-to-head tiebreaker applies "only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others."

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3xl7ewpj said:
Panthers pulled it out! That'll help us.

Ya it sure helps us...helps us watch the playoffs at home if we dont win the division

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nd6xqfu said:

It only helps if the Vikings lose two of their final three games. They play Cincinnati, Green Bay, and Chicago.

Otherwise, we will want the Vikings to win those games to avoid the three-way tie.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawknation2017":opo9hytz said:
MontanaHawk05":opo9hytz said:

It only helps if the Vikings lose two of their final three games. They play Cincinnati, Green Bay, and Chicago.

Otherwise, we will want the Vikings to win those games to avoid the three-way tie.

:lol: at people thinking Seattle is going to somehow magically be tied for a 1st or 2nd seed...... I dont GAF about seeding other than the Seahawks being in the top 6

RIGHT NOW

Saints and Panthers have 9 wins
Falcons are tied with us at 8 wins, and actually AHEAD of us for 6th seed if we lose today
LIONS AND PACKERS Nipping at the heels with 7 wins and they play eachother so one of them is at 8 wins RIGHT NOW as well

Having said that I believe if we go 2-2 in this stretch we probably make the playoffs at 10-6 but you never know

hawknation2017

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":gc528xqm said:
hawknation2017":gc528xqm said:
MontanaHawk05":gc528xqm said:

:lol: at people thinking Seattle is going to somehow magically be tied for a 1st or 2nd seed...... I dont GAF about seeding other than the Seahawks being in the top 6

Yeah . . . that was another problem with the Vikings losing.

Even if you think the Seahawks will win out, it's risky for the Vikings to lose another game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":ckjtqex3 said:
hawknation2017":ckjtqex3 said:
MontanaHawk05":ckjtqex3 said:

Not all of us have to share your opinion.

I re-read the rules and I was wrong about tiebreakers to Seahawkfreak, head-to-head wouldn't apply...but Minnesota could always just drop 3 games and help us out that way. :D

Unlikely. But the Carolina win is a first step.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
How is that Carolina win working out now for everyone...still enjoying it