Open Question

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Riddle me this. Jax has serious depth on the d-line. Why on earth didn’t Bevell play more hurry up to keep them from being able to substitute d-linemen? The one series when Davis really got going, we did that. Otherwise... Nada

adeltaY

Reaction score
Good point. I actually think that our OL did a great job against their DL in pass protection. Sadly, it was the secondary that gave us the most trouble.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1yjo5i28 said:
Riddle me this. Jax has serious depth on the d-line. Why on earth didn’t Bevell play more hurry up to keep them from being able to substitute d-linemen? The one series when Davis really got going, we did that. Otherwise... Nada
Because he’s Darrell Bevell, one of the worst OC’s in the league.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3eswl82c said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3eswl82c said:

Seriously, ONE drive you gash the opposition on every run because you're pulling guards and playing power football.... Oh lets not do what works. Unbelievable. Where's Les Miles these days? Let's get him at OC.

Mindsink

Reaction score
I know, right? That drive where they got Davis going, and then all of a sudden, they go away from it. I just don't understand.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2lxf4cgm said:
Sports Hernia":2lxf4cgm said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2lxf4cgm said:

Seriously, ONE drive you gash the opposition on every run because you're pulling guards and playing power football.... Oh lets not do what works. Unbelievable. Where's Les Miles these days? Let's get him at OC.

This happens every single game. Probably the real reason for the defense's temper tantrum

HawkerD

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1qthv28w said:
You answered your own question when you said bevel.

And who was it that threw 3 INTs? ran out of bounds before the sticks? drop catchable balls? missed a FG? couldn't cver a punt? couldn't tackle on 3rd and 11? THe Answer to all of the above is NOT Bevell

Plenty of opportunities to win that game with the play calling as it was. PLAYERS DID NOT EXECUTE! End of story

johnnyfever

Reaction score
HawkerD":5oxvi8jr said:
GeekHawk":5oxvi8jr said:
You answered your own question when you said bevel.

And who was it that threw 3 INTs? ran out of bounds before the sticks? drop catchable balls? missed a FG? couldn't cver a punt? couldn't tackle on 3rd and 11? THe Answer to all of the above is NOT Bevell

Plenty of opportunities to win that game with the play calling as it was. PLAYERS DID NOT EXECUTE! End of story

I'll answer:
1.)the three interceptions. Darrel draws up long developing plays again rather than quick to the line misdirection short passing. Those 3 interceptions are balls that need to be thrown way before the reciever gets to that spot. They are the type of low percentage passes (considered "jump" balls) that the receiver is resposible for catching. Now, you could come up with a playcall that pulls the safety away or have 3 long developing routes so that the corners and safety have to pick one and cover it, but that is not what bevell did. Even the announcers pointed this out during the game.

2.)Doug ran out of bounds to make sure we didnt burn clock we desparately needed as we were down and time was running out. That was on first down. We had 2 more plays to gain 1 yard, and Bev couldn't call up an easy high percentage 1 yard play.

3.)Correct on this one. Both graham and vannett should have caught those balls, but russ's throws werent the best. I always tell my kids that if you can get a touch on a ball it is catchable, if you get 2 hands on a ball you should always be able to catch it. At their level and for what they are paid, they should catch those balls.

4.) Missed field goal-Walsh is trash, dont like him, would love to see him go. Having said that, even if he would have made it we still would have lost-see 1.) and 2.)

5.) special teams breakdown

6.) defensive breakdown.

Why were we in the situation again in the 4th quarter to try to make up 2 scores? Because bevell reverting to the game plan of "throw up the long ball and see what happens" didnt work against a good secondary. We saw very little of the misdirection, quick short hot routes, end around runs etc that we saw in the eagles game. I gave Bev props for that gameplan. then the idiot turns around and reverts back to the stuff we know is low percentage against good teams.

We wouldnt have been in the behind and cathup position if the guy could get out of his own way. He is not a good OC and needs to be replaced with someone who can put together more than 5 or 6 decent gameplans in 16 games.

Latest posts