Bevell 2nd and 10, let's run!

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know another Bevell thread but this is about a specific issue and Brock and Salk just brought it up so curious what others think. Bevell continually runs the ball on 2nd and 10 and have failed to gain positive yardage almost every single time. Multiple sites have done success rate statistics and have shown that it's a terrible idea even for teams that can run the ball well. It continually puts us in a 3rd and long with a very low success rate because of it. It's unbelievable that a professional OC with metrics/statistics readily available to him continues to attempt to beat the odds time and time again. It's not about establishing the run either which I'm still ok with, they are two different issues.
Of all the Bevell complaints this might be my biggest one. He's capable of some good things but he's also capable of some absolute head scratchers at times. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mistaowen

Reaction score
Certainly does seem to frequently run on 2nd and 10. I know the reasoning is to get a few yards for a more manageable 3rd down but defenses have learned a run is coming and sell out to stop it.

I saw the stat late in the game their average 3rd down to go was like 9.8 yards. That's just not acceptable.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
That's not a Bevell thing.

OCs across the NFL tend to run on second and ten to try to get to third and manageable.

Link to the stats saying you shouldn't run in this situation? (not doubting their existence, just haven't seen 'em and would love to).

cymatica

Reaction score
Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't make it so damn obvious a run is coming.

sutz

Reaction score
Popeyejones":231s6l8a said:
That's not a Bevell thing.

OCs across the NFL tend to run on second and ten to try to get to third and manageable.

Link to the stats saying you shouldn't run in this situation? (not doubting their existence, just haven't seen 'em and would love to).
Yeah, seems to me half the league does this, maybe more. The hope is you catch them in a passing D formation that loosens up the running lanes a bit. Generally it's some kind of draw or delay play that tries to look like a pass, then a quick handoff.

:229031_shrug:

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Bevell does it more often then most. Seems odd with so many teams now utilizing Analytics that they wouldn't keep making the same mistake. It could be because of bias but I don't seem to see other teams do it much against us.

Popeye I'll see if I can track them down. A couple of people on Twitter tweeted it. Want to say it was numberfire or PFF but I'm not sure. When I get time I'll see if I can find it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Exactly. The 9ers were doing it in the early game yesterday, and it was working for 'em, but a ton of teams do it week in and week out.

Doesn't mean it's strategically the right thing to do, but Bevell is running with the pack on this one, rather than wandering off into a field all by himself. ;)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Simple. We want a balanced offense so he likely counts plays.
That's probably why we also went away from the run when it was working.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
austinslater25":1iqaljqw said:
Popeye I'll see if I can track them down. A couple of people on Twitter tweeted it. Want to say it was numberfire or PFF but I'm not sure. When I get time I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, no worries, was just asking if you remembered or had it handy. I don't doubt it. :2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
austinslater25":huj454wu said:
Thoughts?

If he only passes on 2nd and 10, he gets predictable.

The bigger issue is our constant failure on first down.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
The fact that we always run out of run formations and pass out of pass formations is the major factor that gives me game-day ulcers. I know what's coming, my wife knows what's coming, my flippin' DOG knows what's coming, and you can bet your butt the opposing D knows what's coming! Of course it never works for us. Doing an O like bevel does wouldn't work for ANYONE!

cymatica

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2f2d4kbp said:
The fact that we always run out of run formations and pass out of pass formations is the major factor that gives me game-day ulcers. I know what's coming, my wife knows what's coming, my flippin' DOG knows what's coming, and you can bet your butt the opposing D knows what's coming! Of course it never works for us. Doing an O like bevel does wouldn't work for ANYONE!

THIS THIS THIS.

The runs are telegraphed.

Own The West

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2iwealfj said:

GeekHawk's dog for OC! :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
The worst thing that could happen to us did. We hit a couple of running plays and Pete / Bevel grew a chubby and could not resist. Pete's big revelation at halftime was "run the ball". Boy Pete, you showed them.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Nothing irritates me more than an incomplete pass on first down, followed by a run for minimal or no gain on second. I don't know why, but it's just awful to watch.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3q6e49e1 said:
Nothing irritates me more than an incomplete pass on first down, followed by a run for minimal or no gain on second. I don't know why, but it's just awful to watch.

We’re watching the wrong team then. When it works it’s great, but it’s not now. Brace for a couple of more headaches this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ludakrishna

Reaction score
I was okay with it in the 1st half. Why? Because the runs were behind Joeckel and Brown and we were picking up positive yards. But in the 2nd half, they ran majority of the time behind Ifedi and Pocic. Deedeedee

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
austinslater25":2vkr8jbr said:
I know another Bevell thread but this is about a specific issue and Brock and Salk just brought it up so curious what others think. Bevell continually runs the ball on 2nd and 10 and have failed to gain positive yardage almost every single time. Multiple sites have done success rate statistics and have shown that it's a terrible idea even for teams that can run the ball well. It continually puts us in a 3rd and long with a very low success rate because of it. It's unbelievable that a professional OC with metrics/statistics readily available to him continues to attempt to beat the odds time and time again. It's not about establishing the run either which I'm still ok with, they are two different issues.
Of all the Bevell complaints this might be my biggest one. He's capable of some good things but he's also capable of some absolute head scratchers at times. Thoughts?

I don't know, what is worse, running on 2nd and 10 or constantly throwing 50 yard bombs on 3rd and 10? I choose the latter. The fact that we don't know how to run intermediate routes is maddening.