The third quarter

rossob

Reaction score
If we don't look at the efficiency of individual parts of the team but just at the score the third quarter sticks out. Our defense was able to hold Jacksonville to 3 points in the first two quarters combined, and they scored 6 in the fourth. Looking at this, it seems like our defense did a good job. Then we look at the third quarter where the Jaguars scored 21 points, and it changes everything.

Their first TD in the 3rd came after a RW int, and a penalty on Graham which led to them starting their drive at our 42 and they score in 5 plays.
On their next possesion they fumble the return. The one after that they score on their first play via 75 yard TD pass.
When they get the ball back again, their KR returns the ball to our one-yard line, and they score on the following play.

Of course, all things considered, they were the better team; their ST played better, Russell threw three ints, and our play calling wasn't good either. Our defense, however, might not deserve as much blame as we think. And I don't mean they don't deserve any.
Letting them score on a 42 yards drive is not that incompetent and if we consider the fact that Wagner was out it makes a lot more sense that they were able to score that fast and catch us making a mistake at the 75 yard TD pass. I just want to repeat it, taking the 3rd quarter away, our defense allowed only 9 pts. I don't think anyone can complain about that.