This Team is not Good Right Now

xgeoff

Reaction score
Don't misunderstand the title of this post. It's not a rant against this team. However, it is a recognition that this team really isn't very good right now.

Brock and Salk made a big deal a couple weeks ago about repeating the mantra 'The Seahawks are a good team' over and over again after they lost to the Redskins.

And I disagree with that mantra. The Seahawks are not a good team right now; they are an extremely dangerous team, perhaps the most dangerous team in the league.

I say this for a couple of reasons:

1. The Seahawks are missing a lot of their core talent. Missing Kam and Sherman and Cliff and Chris Carson are significant. And I think the backups have been doing a good job, but it's still a dropoff.

2. The offensive line is playing better, but there are still two huge holes (Joeckel and Ifedi) in that unit.

3. Special teams is erratic. Blair Walsh's numbers are better, I think, than he actually is. I hold my breath with every one of his kicks. The kick coverage teams have scary moments as well.

4. We drag every opponent into a fistfight. Against lesser teams like the 49ers it gives those teams a chance, instead of blowing them out of the building. But it also means that against good teams like the Eagles or the Patriots, we can beat them. We seem to play up or down to the level of our competition. So if we make the playoffs, the better teams would have every reason to fear playing us.

5. If the game is close in the 4th Quarter, Russell Wilson can make magic happen, in many different ways. This team always seems to have a chance at the end of the game.

6. Bobby Wagner and Earl Thomas are special players who can single-handedly change the complexion of a game. We saw that in the Eagles game.

7. The penaties and general lack of discipline really hurt this team. It's another way that we give crappy teams like the Cardinals a chance against us instead of us blowing them out of the building.

8. I don't know what happened to the pass rush. It still shows up in some games (like the Eagles game) but it was non-existent against the Jags. Frank Clark is an enigma. He looks like a world beater some times and like a no-talent at others. Can't figure him out. Bottom line is that Blake Bortles had all day to sit back in the pocket and get comfortable. And so we made him look like an All-Star.

9. I find the lack of ability to convert 3rd and short maddening. I have never seen a team (and I watch a lot of football) look so inept in that situation. The play calls look horrible, and at times the whole offensive strategy looks like a mess. Sometimes not. But there is definitely not a consistent, positive nature to the play calling.

So my point is simply that I would put our team up against any other in the league, and feel that we can beat anyone. But to say that we are a good team right now, well I just wouldn't say that. We're the reservoir dogs right now, undisciplined and dangerous. If we can just make the playoffs, anything can happen.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We're good.

On some weeks.

On others, we're pretty bad.

We didn't get to the Super Bowl in 2013 by blowing out every team. We played down to the wire quite a bit.

In the last three years, though, it's stopped working so well for us. More of those close games are tipping away.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Honestly I think this team could use a shot in the arm this offseason with new assistant coaches on both sides of the ball. The talent is still there (albeit mostly injured), as you said this team is always in every game no matter how bad 3/4 quarters look. But the team has been more hit or miss as the years go on and are now losing these close games they once closed out.

I would love to have some younger energetic coaches come in and shake things up.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think it was a team that was a top contender when everyone was there. But you just can't survive losing Sherman, Chancellor, and possibly Wagner and Wright and not lose a lot. I mean imagine the Vikings D if suddenly Rhodes, Smith, Barr, went down.

Add in the penalties and a very unreliable kicker leaving points on the board and you have what we have now.

Speaking of injuries, I noticed, or rather, haven't noticed Earl the last two games. I thought that Wentz did a good job maybe of staying away from him or not tipping off where he was going with the ball. I am not saying he's playing badly, but is he possibly not taking as many chances without Sherman and Chancellor?

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2mf0dvr3 said:
I think it was a team that was a top contender when everyone was there. But you just can't survive losing Sherman, Chancellor, and possibly Wagner and Wright and not lose a lot. I mean imagine the Vikings D if suddenly Rhodes, Smith, Barr, went down...

Yep, that's why the injured players were my number 1 reason why this team is not very good right now.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
To be totally honest, the Hawks team doesn't strike me as being particularly better or worse than any of the Hawks squads over the past couple years.

Looking at the schedule to go I think we'd all probably guess that they'll finish the season at 11-5 or 10-6, which is where they've been for the past two years before this.

When you're a good team and you play other good teams you win some and you lose some. We've seen both of those things happen the last two weeks.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Right now we're the Packers of the West. Decent team elevated by a Swiss Army knife elite Quarterback that can beat anyone in the league, or lose any game. Ironically, this will be the third year the Packers finish 10-6, yet everyone believes they have a chance to win it all with that guy at Qb

We had to start looking at it the same way. Every year we have a chance. We have an elite Qb that keeps us in every game and can win at any time. That's something we may tend to take for granted. But I generally agree that our team isn't that talented. We have a lot of B- to B+ players, particularly on offense(when we're healthy)

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
But didn't you read this board a week ago? We best the Eagles, we're going to win out.

Lawl.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":28z3wmxa said:
The Seahawks are an inconsistent team. And that is their downfall.

That's a fact Jack!

All the Monday morning hyperbole and rubbish about the window being closed the team sucks etc., etc., etc., is just what it appears to be rubbish.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1374lfct said:
The Seahawks are an inconsistent team. And that is their downfall.
The Hawks hare having a problem with a depleted Defense, a transitioning O-Line, and some out & out SHITTY OFFICIATING.
You can NOT beat the Officials, I repeat, "CAN NOT", and NO, I'm not a "Conspiracy" theorists like some here like to try and quash....You know who you are. :141847_bnono:
There have been WAY TOO MANY screw-up Calls / Non Calls by the Refs to be just a coincidence.
OBVIOUS BIAS like Jeremy Lane getting Ejected for throwing an IMAGINARY PUNCH... ring any bells??
Like NOT CALLING Jag for pulling Richardson down so he couldn't catch Wilsons pass for the 3rd TD in the 4th quarter.
I'm not saying that there hasn't been some HONEST MISTAKES, there definitely has, but some of these mistakes are BLATANT, they can AND DO cost teams some critical wins.
Just like a struggling kicker can AND HAS cost teams some CRICICAL WINS.
When Officials GET TO HELL OUT OF THE WAY (like they did with the Seahawks - Eagles game), the DEPLETED Seahawks can still com-Pete with the VERY BEST in the League.

HansGruber

Reaction score
They would be a lot better if they had a real offensive coordinator instead of a blind and drunk chimp in a 12 hat.

You can't put anything on the defense. They've been world beaters for years. It's clear what side of the ball has the most issues. And some of those can be blamed squarely on terrible play calling.

Wilson was getting hurried and hit all season, and yet still, Bevell the retard has him dropping back 7 steps and going deep on every play. It's absurd.

HansGruber

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1dv0wt5n said:
one QB hit and zero sacks on Sunday. They had plenty to do with the loss.

Yeah that was kinda my point. Now that we have so many injuries on defense, we can't lean on the defense. I'm not really looking forward to the rest of the season.