This defense is falling apart

RussB

Reaction score
I think the glory days are over for this defense. Kam cant play a full season and may never play again, sherman was steadily declining and now is going to be coming back from a torn achilles which will cause him to slow even more. Cliff might be done. Bennett is injured and declining. Bobby and earl are like the only guys left playing at the level they used to i think bobby is in his prime right now by the way.

But the LOB is done, its no longer a feared lock down secondary and the pass rush and run defense is not the same. All the consecutive seasons played at a high level are now taking a toll on the veteran players. They arent going to get any better its honestly the end of the LOB era i think. Even when healthy they arent the same. This team is not a defensive team anymore its an offensive team led by wilson and they need to invest more in him now or they will turn into a crap franchise quick.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I mean they looked good enough while they were all out there. Kam was the highest graded safety the week he was injured. Teams still struggle to throw at Richard Sherman's side of the field. Injuries suck, injuries to multiple all pros are even worse. Get them healed up and a year of NFL training for Shaq and I think they continue to dominate next year.

rossob

Reaction score
IIRC we had the #1 rush D from weeks 5 to 13. I'm not completely sure about that, but we were definitely at the top. Pass rush sure is inconsistent, however, and I don't know why. I also don't know how we rank at pass D, but we seem to be pretty good considering our current circumstances.
Will we ever be as good as we were? Probably not, but with healthy players and some good newcomers we can still be at the top while having an offense (mainly due to Russell) that scores a good amount of points.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sherman and Avril weren't declining. Everyone was bummed and worried when they went down. Top rated at their positions.

Bennett has 7.5 sacks on the season.

This "old and broken" label doesn't seem to come from anyone other than Kam Chancellor.

Seattle just got done reloading the defense. We signed Bradley McDougald and Sheldon Richardson, both good players in their prime. We drafted Frank Clark and Jarran Reed up front. Shaquill Griffin is coming into his own. Delano Hill is, hopefully, a Kam clone or good depth.

For my money, the absence of Bobby Wagner played a huge role in our defensive meltdown yesterday. He and Wright are tough to replace.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1j1d73bw said:
CodeWarrior":1j1d73bw said:

You disagree? It's hard to tell.

No, I don't disagree, I just thought this was already established? The glory days of the original LoB are done. Does anyone really dispute that? It's reload time, and I am actually more than ready for it. Maybe it's just that familiarity breeds contempt. Russell is hands down the best player on this team. Top three in the league. Cater the new team to his strengths, couldn't care less that Pete is a defensive minded HC. Your job as a coach is to leverage the talent on the roster. That begins and ends with Russell.

Yes, dramatically changing the team will require cutting some players on the early side, but that's vastly preferable to overpaying an aging veteran (see Chancellor, Kam).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
On paper, the Defense at the beginning of the year looked like it might rival the 2013 Defense. It's really depressing to me to see how it has fallen apart.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
The defense has gotten older, that there is some regression is natural, throw in injuries, you're going to see a bigger drop off....this defense still has loads of talent and can be dominant but it requires some luck with staying healthy and better coaching than it's gotten...Bradley got the last version of this defense that you could line up with a vanilla game plan and expect near shut outs...those days are gone. It's time to plan for the players you've got now and coach to their strengths. Richards game planning and in game adjustments have been awful all year...it's a testament to how good the players still are that they're not getting blown out more.

Yesterdays game was a prime example, I know the team was depleted but it was pretty clear the game plan was don't let them run on us, let's make Bortles beat us and he absolutely killed us and they ran over us on top of it. The line was nowhere near him all game, how do you not adjust for that all game, the only part of the team that is healthy is the line, minus Avril...this was the same group that was all over Wentz....they knew with time Wentz would eat them up, they didn't believe Bortles would, and instead of adjusting to it at any point they kept letting it happen.

Yesterdays game also showed me how much value the losses have not just in term of their on field performance as that is big too but emotionally and in terms of leadership.. Bobby going down and the defense looked like a body without a brain. Kam out and that calming influence is gone. We've always ran hot as a team, passion usually isn't an issue, reigning it in is and Kam was always leading those moments getting guys focused and on the right page, he may not be exactly where he was a few years ago but his value to this team is still huge.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":174q5jw7 said:
Op isnt far off.

Defense doesn't scare anyone anymore.
If you would have told someone in 2013-14 that bortles sliced up the defense people would have laughed in your face.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RussB":rueyc4ua said:
Shanegotyou11":rueyc4ua said:
Op isnt far off.

Defense doesn't scare anyone anymore.
If you would have told someone in 2013-14 that bortles sliced up the defense people would have laughed in your face.

"the defense" isn't on the field. Their backups are.

Are you going to acknowledge that, or do you just want to keep looking for a scapegoat?

NJlargent

Reaction score
Even when healthy this defense is overrated. That’s not to say it is not good, which it is, but we are far from shutdown. The defense depends on a pass rush and that’s been absent since 14. Our LBs and secondary are amazing and make up for the lack of rush. Bennett may have 7.5 sacks but it’s a quiet 7.5 sacks and he’s a non factor.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
NJlargent":2ybrlutb said:
Even when healthy this defense is overrated. That’s not to say it is not good, which it is, but we are far from shutdown. The defense depends on a pass rush and that’s been absent since 14. Our LBs and secondary are amazing and make up for the lack of rush. Bennett may have 7.5 sacks but it’s a quiet 7.5 sacks and he’s a non factor.
Haha, "quiet" sacks vs the "roughing the QB" type?

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We were missing like 5 starters on the defense for most of the game yesterday, all on the pro bowl level. How do you think the Pats would do without Brady, Gronk, and their other stars?

NJlargent

Reaction score
johnnyfever":xl65pd5b said:
NJlargent":xl65pd5b said:

I mean quiet sacks from the sense that even with 7.5 sacks he has not exactly been a force or presence.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":s8jwfj0y said:
Sherman and Avril weren't declining. Everyone was bummed and worried when they went down. Top rated at their positions.

Bennett has 7.5 sacks on the season.

This "old and broken" label doesn't seem to come from anyone other than Kam Chancellor.

Seattle just got done reloading the defense. We signed Bradley McDougald and Sheldon Richardson, both good players in their prime. We drafted Frank Clark and Jarran Reed up front. Shaquill Griffin is coming into his own. Delano Hill is, hopefully, a Kam clone or good depth.

For my money, the absence of Bobby Wagner played a huge role in our defensive meltdown yesterday. He and Wright are tough to replace.
:2thumbs: I thought I was the only who can see we have retooled the D.
It just not a finished product yet with all the injuries and it may not be in time for this year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NJlargent":ns4qc2rx said:
johnnyfever":ns4qc2rx said:
NJlargent":ns4qc2rx said:

I mean quiet sacks from the sense that even with 7.5 sacks he has not exactly been a force or presence.

7.5 sacks means you're not a force or presence in today's league. Guess it just kinda happens by accident or tripping into 'em.

You heard it here first, folks.

NJlargent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12bn111p said:
NJlargent":12bn111p said:
johnnyfever":12bn111p said:
NJlargent":12bn111p said:

7.5 sacks means you're not a force or presence in today's league. Guess it just kinda happens by accident or tripping into 'em.

You heard it here first, folks.

You’re right pay him Joeckel or Lacy money. He’s a stud.