Dear Pete: I no longer enjoy the team you put on the field.

Seymour

Reaction score
This is not just about W's or L's, it is about buying in, being entertained, and feeling a part of something good.

I'll start with I've been a fan since '76. I've seen all the bad years where you knew there was little chance of a W, but you watched to see that catch by Largent, or run by Warner, or 3rd down conversion by Dr. Dan, and even the occasional upset. We didn't expect much but just had hope that we'd one day put it together.

Fast forward to now. The product I'm watching now is extremely irritating for me to watch. We make the same mistakes, game after game, and at a coaching level year after year. We know the team has the ability to put it all together, but for a number of reason just doesn't. Some fans want to say, Refs, Injuries, ect., they want to point everywhere but inside the organization.
I say this lies squarely on Pete. His free form style is catching up to him. His lack of adjustments to changing circumstances and holding his coaching staff accountable has lost the respect of at least some players.

After watching that ending on Sunday I can officially say I am disgusted with our team. Losing is one thing, but the lack of discipline on this team, and spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening. Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson....I'm talking to you. I seriously hope the NFL throws the book at us and we get what is deserved for that shit show of sportsmanship. It will take hitting bottom to bring about change, and sadly I doubt we are quite at bottom. I've purchased no new gear this year, and am considering turning them off on Sundays for the first time in 41 years.

I do know that "this too shall pass" when it comes to feelings. I just have no idea when at this point.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just curious - sportsmanship aspect aside - did you feel the same way about this team after last week's win against the Eagles? We fans are a funny and fickle bunch.

Gotta love the day after a loss. :34853_doh:

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":o6kbv0xg said:
Just curious - sportsmanship aspect aside - did you feel the same way about this team after last week's win against the Eagles?

Like I said, It's not about W's and L's. I've felt this coming since last season with the mistakes, penalties, oline personel, ect taking place. The W just puts it on hold for a week in some cases.

That and the sub standard accountability has been disturbing for sometime.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Monday after a loss, always the time for some serious hyperbole. Hoping the team is less compettitive nexr weekend? OK, whatever?

Mr C. Little, the sky actually isn't falling.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sportsmanship.

In the NFL.

My goodness.

Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement”

hawknation2017

Reaction score
LOL

The entire team is competing their asses off, in the face of overwhelming injuries and other obstacles.

If you don't like it, then don't watch. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3eroxnkr said:
Sportsmanship.

In the NFL.

My goodness.

Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement

Entirely missed the point.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The whininess of this thread can only be properly discussed in the shack.

:stirthepot:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Aros":j9f3pafe said:
Just curious - sportsmanship aspect aside - did you feel the same way about this team after last week's win against the Eagles? We fans are a funny and fickle bunch.

Gotta love the day after a loss. :34853_doh:

I have felt that way for a couple of years now. Last week's eagles game, however, was the first time I have felt entertained in a long time.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Pete built this program and brought it success.

He's accomplished more than Holmgren, and any other coach has in franchise history.

The team is 8-5. That's a winning record. Let me repeat that: THE TEAM IS 8-5. THAT'S A WINNING RECORD.

Have we lost 7 games in a row like Denver had? Nope. Have we started the season 0-13 for two consecutive seasons like the Browns? Nope.

Just enjoy the ride man. If cheering on an 8-5 team is that dissapointing and frustrating for you, then why even bother watching? If you're so convinced nothing will change and the season is done, just do something else.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
You can't say this team is boring though. In every game to the bitter end. In the 80's and 90's I'd have killed for a team like that.

A few teams have enchanted seasons each year. it's always different teams though. We had that in 2005 and 2013. The rest of the time you hope to be competitive and in the fight. To expect that enchantment year after year is over the top.

I get that people hate penalties. But that can't be the reason you hate the team. They compete like crazy unlike some of the Erickson and Holmgren teams. That in itself is going to lead to penalties. It's hard to have choirboys in this league and win.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1582f17a said:
Pete built this program and brought it success.

He's accomplished more than Holmgren, and any other coach has in franchise history.

The team is 8-5. That's a winning record. Let me repeat that: THE TEAM IS 8-5. THAT'S A WINNING RECORD.

Have we lost 7 games in a row like Denver had? Nope. Have we started the season 0-13 for two consecutive seasons like the Browns? Nope.

Just enjoy the ride man. If cheering on an 8-5 team is that dissapointing and frustrating for you, then why even bother watching? If you're so convinced nothing will change and the season is done, just do something else.

Another missed the point. I have a feeling I'll be doing this often.

Seymour":1582f17a said:
This is not just about W's or L's, it is about buying in, being entertained, and feeling a part of something good.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Last 101 regular season games . . . only one of them was a defeat by more than 10 points. Only three times have they lost by more than seven points. I understand close defeats are a disappointment. But to call it uncompetitive or boring football is delusional.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I have some of these sentiments, though not because the games are close or frustrating or because of coaching decisions. I don't expect every choice by coaches or players to always work. It's the loss of composure at the end, cheap shots at someone's knees after a play, throwing punches. It's embarrassing to me as a fan of that team that my team acted that way. I guess, based on comments here, I'm supposed to just chalk it up to adrenaline and emotion and say those kinds of actions are OK? Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I'm struggling to find a reason to cheer for players that act like this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3u3t19k8 said:
Uncle Si":3u3t19k8 said:
Sportsmanship.

In the NFL.

My goodness.

But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement

Entirely missed the point.

Nope. Not at all.

I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from

Uncle Si

Reaction score
StoneCold":3jnt3ccr said:
I have some of these sentiments, though not because the games are close or frustrating or because of coaching decisions. I don't expect every choice by coaches or players to always work. It's the loss of composure at the end, cheap shots at someone's knees after a play, throwing punches. It's embarrassing to me as a fan of that team that my team acted that way. I guess, based on comments here, I'm supposed to just chalk it up to adrenaline and emotion and say those kinds of actions are OK? Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I'm struggling to find a reason to cheer for players that act like this.

No. Not at all.

But I know you have perspective enough to understand what these players fight for (basically you) and that this is the way of the NFL. It’s players are expected to battle through life altering injuries to win games and when anything less is given, fans take to bemoaning their “brattiness”

Where’s the line? And who are we to determine where it is? Because that to me would be greatly hypocritical

aawolf

Reaction score
Seymour":3muor8bx said:

I'll start with I've been a fan since '76. I've seen all the bad years where you knew there was little chance of a W, but you watched to see that catch by Largent, or run by Warner, or 3rd down conversion by Dr. Dan, and even the occasional upset. We didn't expect much but just had hope that we'd one day put it together.

Fast forward to now. The product I'm watching now is extremely irritating for me to watch. We make the same mistakes, game after game, and at a coaching level year after year. We know the team has the ability to put it all together, but for a number of reason just doesn't. Some fans want to say, Refs, Injuries, ect., they want to point everywhere but inside the organization.
I say this lies squarely on Pete. His free form style is catching up to him. His lack of adjustments to changing circumstances and holding his coaching staff accountable has lost the respect of at least some players.

After watching that ending on Sunday I can officially say I am disgusted with our team. Losing is one thing, but the lack of discipline on this team, and spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening. Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson....I'm talking to you. I seriously hope the NFL throws the book at us and we get what is deserved for that shit show of sportsmanship. It will take hitting bottom to bring about change, and sadly I doubt we are quite at bottom. I've purchased no new gear this year, and am considering turning them off on Sundays for the first time in 41 years.

I do know that "this too shall pass" when it comes to feelings. I just have no idea when at this point.

I hear you, man. I did not enjoy myself watching the game on Sunday. But, it was not ALL because of the players. Yes, they were idiots a few times, but my enjoyment was squashed mostly by the OFFICIALS. I mean, come on with the no-flags against them and imaginary flags against us throughout the game. My frustration was at a boiling point just watching it on TV, and if I were on the field seeing the opposition get away with their crap and seeing us get phantom calls against us, I'd like to think I'd be a better man and let it roll off my back, but I don't make a living hitting people either. So, no excuse for piss poor behavior, but I understand that sometimes players feel like they have to lash out.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1xqti6c3 said:
Last 101 regular season games . . . only one of them was a defeat by more than 10 points. Only three times have they lost by more than seven points. I understand close defeats are a disappointment. But to call it uncompetitive or boring football is delusional.

Who called it uncompetitive or boring?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3172pii5 said:
StoneCold":3172pii5 said:

No. Not at all.

But I know you have perspective enough to understand what these players fight for (basically you) and that this is the way of the NFL. It’s players are expected to battle through life altering injuries to win games and when anything less is given, fans take to bemoaning their “brattiness”

Where’s the line? And who are we to determine where it is? Because that to me would be greatly hypocritical

I understand how hard this game is on the players and greatly respect what they go through to play. I draw the line at actively trying to hurt another player. The second time that Bennet (God don't let this turn into a Bennet thread) rolls into their center was pretty bad. He didn't, but he could have ended that players season and maybe career. It's hard to reconcile that with wanting to go to the game ( I have tickets for next Sunday) and scream until I'm hoarse to show my support.