I dread becoming indifferent again

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Remember the days of tuning into the hawks just to watch the game without having total confidence we SHOULD win? I would watch the game, and if we were totally sucking I would do other things at the same time. If we were doing well I would pay more attention, but either way there was no huge emotional reaction. I had seen this team do it for decades with some better and some worse.

Then this team did something different, they looked great and capable of more than just making the playoffs. When we lost that game in 2012 I was livid but excited. We finally had a team of young hungry guys who had the fire needed to never give up. Since then I have been much more invested. I am more critical, but also I am more proud. This team has had some absolutely butt kickingly great comebacks.

I guess I became more invested. Does this make me a fair weather fan? Partially I think it does. If the team goes back to 4-12, I wont plan my sunday around it, but I'll still catch the game to see if its worth watching. I have never been and wont be a fan of another team. I realize I am not part of this team and what I think doesnt mean squat to the seahawks organization, but I still cant help myself caring and wanting to point out everything I see that could be done to make the improvements to bring us back to clutch.

I have been watching a slow regression the last 3 years. I could care less what the stats say or our season record, whether we make or dont make the playoffs etc. I'm talking about the actual football being played and the strategy being implemented on the field. We dont look like a team capable of winning it all. We have coaches that more and more are proving themselves inadequate to make adjustments to improve. This is a competetive league and you have to adjust to the competition if you want to win. I just dont see us doing that.

I hope there is a big shakeup in the coaches (not pete or john, talking supporting staff) this offseason. I also hope they go younger again. We have some great young talent we have brought in this year. We have a great quarterback, great general manager and head coach, awesome owner, some key guys with quite a few years left (baldwin, thomas, wagner KJ etc). We can build and fill in around these guys and have that younger player hunger we had.

I just hope we make the necessary changes to stay competetive. I like being worked up on game day. I like caring when we lose. I love seeing them always find a way to win games.

The season isnt over by any means. It hinges on next weeks game. If we lose that game, then it will be time for pete and john too take an honest look at the team and staff and identify what needs to happen to get back to the mantra of always compete. All cards on the table. If we win the rams game, then we have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs, but lets be honest, how many of us in this current state with these coaches who seem to continually trip over their own shadow would put cash on the hawks to bring home another Lombardi.

Dont waste this window with russ and the boys. Get them what they need to succeed.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":b9qqo07h said:
Remember the days of tuning into the hawks just to watch the game without having total confidence we SHOULD win? I would watch the game, and if we were totally sucking I would do other things at the same time. If we were doing well I would pay more attention, but either way there was no huge emotional reaction. I had seen this team do it for decades with some better and some worse.

Then this team did something different, they looked great and capable of more than just making the playoffs. When we lost that game in 2012 I was livid but excited. We finally had a team of young hungry guys who had the fire needed to never give up. Since then I have been much more invested. I am more critical, but also I am more proud. This team has had some absolutely butt kickingly great comebacks.

I guess I became more invested. Does this make me a fair weather fan? Partially I think it does. If the team goes back to 4-12, I wont plan my sunday around it, but I'll still catch the game to see if its worth watching. I have never been and wont be a fan of another team. I realize I am not part of this team and what I think doesnt mean squat to the seahawks organization, but I still cant help myself caring and wanting to point out everything I see that could be done to make the improvements to bring us back to clutch.

I have been watching a slow regression the last 3 years. I could care less what the stats say or our season record, whether we make or dont make the playoffs etc. I'm talking about the actual football being played and the strategy being implemented on the field. We dont look like a team capable of winning it all. We have coaches that more and more are proving themselves inadequate to make adjustments to improve. This is a competetive league and you have to adjust to the competition if you want to win. I just dont see us doing that.

I hope there is a big shakeup in the coaches (not pete or john, talking supporting staff) this offseason. I also hope they go younger again. We have some great young talent we have brought in this year. We have a great quarterback, great general manager and head coach, awesome owner, some key guys with quite a few years left (baldwin, thomas, wagner KJ etc). We can build and fill in around these guys and have that younger player hunger we had.

I just hope we make the necessary changes to stay competetive. I like being worked up on game day. I like caring when we lose. I love seeing them always find a way to win games.

The season isnt over by any means. It hinges on next weeks game. If we lose that game, then it will be time for pete and john too take an honest look at the team and staff and identify what needs to happen to get back to the mantra of always compete. All cards on the table. If we win the rams game, then we have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs, but lets be honest, how many of us in this current state with these coaches who seem to continually trip over their own shadow would put cash on the hawks to bring home another Lombardi.

Dont waste this window with russ and the boys. Get them what they need to succeed.
I feel Ya bro ,I'm a full blown hawkaholic too

Slick

Reaction score
I love watching the Seahawks lose! Takes me back to the 90s when I'd sit in my Galloway jersey projectile vomiting every Sunday. Oh, and then I'd watch the game too.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
When a team is really good every fanbase picks up recruits, and those same recruits tend to wander off when the team sucks again.

There's nothing atypical about that.

Personally, as a 9ers fan it has been really funny watching all the bellyaching about how Levi's Stadium sucks and that's why it's empty, as people forget that the 9ers suuuuuuckkkk, and Candlestick was also empty when they they sucked in the mid 2ks.

The only thing I find kinda bizarre is that the Hawks are on the verge of going 11-5 or 10-6 again, are likely going to go to the playoffs again for the twelfth time in thirteen years ( :lol: ) and people are talking about defecting.

Seriously?

Being completely honest, If the team you root for is about to go to the playoffs for the twelfth time in thirteen years and as a fan that's not good enough for you, I think you probably should defect and find another hobby.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Slick":31z4dzn7 said:
I love watching the Seahawks lose! Takes me back to the 90s when I'd sit in my Galloway jersey projectile vomiting every Sunday. Oh, and then I'd watch the game too.

Or the ENTIRE off season filled with Rick Mirer interviews and hype. It's good to have a #3 on the field that's worthy of NFL highlights!!!

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3i41rp4g said:
When a team is really good every fanbase picks up recruits, and those same recruits tend to wander off when the team sucks again.

There's nothing atypical about that.

Personally, as a 9ers fan it has been really funny watching all the bellyaching about how Levi's Stadium sucks and that's why it's empty, as people forget that the 9ers suuuuuuckkkk, and Candlestick was also empty when they they sucked in the mid 2ks.

The only thing I find kinda bizarre is that the Hawks are on the verge of going 11-5 or 10-6 again, are likely going to go to the playoffs again for the twelfth time in thirteen years ( :lol: ) and people are talking about defecting.

Seriously?

Being completely honest, If the team you root for is about to go to the playoffs for the twelfth time in thirteen years and as a fan that's not good enough for you, I think you probably should defect and find another hobby.

As I said, it's not about stats or season record. It's about watching the regression.

Saying we are about to go to the playoffs is a bit of a stretch. If we win this weekend, then I would use that phrase. This is no shoe in game against the Rams.

Im not sure where you see people saying they are defecting, haven't seen that one. I've seen frustration and people saying they are going to stop frequenting .net, but haven't seen people saying they are flat done being a Hawks fan. I know I sure as hell didn't and wouldn't. 3rd generation here, there is no escape for me. It's in my genes at this point.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
johnnyfever":19qfpwpg said:
As I said, it's not about stats or season record. It's about watching the regression.

Saying we are about to go to the playoffs is a bit of a stretch. If we win this weekend, then I would use that phrase. This is no shoe in game against the Rams.

Im not sure where you see people saying they are defecting, haven't seen that one. I've seen frustration and people saying they are going to stop frequenting .net, but haven't seen people saying they are flat done being a Hawks fan. I know I sure as hell didn't and wouldn't. 3rd generation here, there is no escape for me. It's in my genes at this point.

Yeah, wasn't posting directly about you. I've seen a fair amount of "I'm done with this team" thrown around this year.

I said "are likely going to go to the playoffs again", and they are. Right now they have an 80% chance of going to the playoffs again this year.

As for the team getting worse, I'm a little suspicious of hand-wringing about regressing when that supposed regression doesn't even show up in the team's record. If you want to see what regressing looks like head on over with me to 9ers country. :lol:

Heck, suffer the indignity of just going 8-8 one year and then let's talk. ;)

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1i1yrw3r said:
johnnyfever":1i1yrw3r said:

Yeah, wasn't posting directly about you. I've seen a fair amount of "I'm done with this team" thrown around this year.

I said "are likely going to go to the playoffs again", and they are. Right now they have an 80% chance of going to the playoffs again this year.

As for the team getting worse, I'm a little suspicious of hand-wringing about regressing when that supposed regression doesn't even show up in the team's record. If you want to see what regressing looks like head on over with me to 9ers country. :lol:

Popeye you know better.

There are many ways to mourn, and you'll see em all on a fan forum, especially right after tough losses.

One of them being "I Quit!" right before or after renewing season tickets/buying a new jersey.

That's not atypical either.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
It's easy to tune in when your team is a SB contender. Quite frankly, a fan that tunes out when times are tough...isn't a fan.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe,

but I noticed that I have pretty much quit watching the first half this year because "nothing really happens in the 1st half anyway".

Even last week, missed most of it but didn't rush back to watch it. Too care of my errands and then made it back to watch the 2nd. I probably missed some great defense (or I think I did?) but I am just conditioned as a Seahawk fan to expect the first half to be almost inconsequential. And sure enough...it pretty much was.

Even though I have sat through the 2 win years in the past or literally sat in the rain in Husky stadium while our team gets poured on - I know bad football even when the team is good.

It isn't that much a jump from watching a team that seems to care nothing about the first half to stopping being disappointed about losses. I already stopped being upset or angry about losses, even ones where you can literally point to the decision that leads to the loss.

At least with a poor team, you can hope for better and watch them get better over time. We are in the opposite loop. This team is going to slowly get worse and so the ability of this team being finite, you would hope our FO would position itself to better take advantage of the opportunities we have for the time we have them. Instead, we make the same poor decisions repeatedly, with the same consequences. That is frustrating, though no longer disappointing.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":311wdtoq said:
Popeye you know better.

There are many ways to mourn, and you'll see em all on a fan forum, especially right after tough losses.

One of them being "I Quit!" right before or after renewing season tickets/buying a new jersey.

That's not atypical either.

Ehh, I might not know better, but I do know what you're talking about.

9ers fans are WAY over-heated about their crappy team after beating two other really crappy teams the last two weeks, just as Hawks fans are WAY under-heated about their very good team after losing to another really good team this week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are in every single game they play. I love this team regardless. At least we know they are never going to be out of it. Extremely frustrating season overall, feels very Twilight Zone at times. But, get that W on Sunday, and things are looking real good.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Popeyejones":y14bjynu said:
johnnyfever":y14bjynu said:

80%chance of going to the playoffs? Did that stat come from tellmestuffthatfeelsgood.com?

We don't even have an 80% chance of winning the next game. Then we have Dallas with Zeke. Not too worried about the niners and we should win the cards, but 80% is definitely a pipe dream. Not only are we not winning our division, but as of right now we aren't in a wild card slot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ok, many said we had no chance against the Eagles. I'm sure plenty will act like we are toast on Sunday too.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":eir9xrqn said:
It's ok, many said we had no chance against the Eagles. I'm sure plenty will act like we are toast on Sunday too.

Again, not sure where you are getting this. Did I say we have no chance? I said 80% is ludicrous. Can you honestly say even as strictly opinion that we have an 80% chance of making the playoffs when right now we aren't even winning our division or in a wild card slot?

I would realistically say we have a 55% -60% chance of winning against the Rams, and about the same against Dallas. But....If we have learned anything this season it is that we can shit the bed against crap teams just as easily as kill it against good ones. The Rams game will decide if we go to the playoffs or not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think the sentiment here is an important distinction.

The fan base has grown accustomed to success over a very short period of time. And not just wins and losses. The team has and has had some very significant players over the last 5 years, with many still on the roster.

The digression (yours to determine how much it really is) feels heavy because those players are once in a generation. Johnny said it another thread... it feels like they are being wasted, and that adds to the anxiety that 5-11 is just around the corner, when in reality it's not.

Just my take. I love the players and what they give. Frustrated with the coaching.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawker8989":3m9v51uc said:
It's easy to tune in when your team is a SB contender. Quite frankly, a fan that tunes out when times are tough...isn't a fan.

Remember that the word "fan" is short for "fanatic". Think about it.....fanatics can be irrational at times. I've been around this place for ten years now.....and trust me...I've seen a lot of irrational fans!!