This play was infurating

adeltaY

Reaction score
Others have brought this up, and this picture illustrates it perfectly. When I was watching the game, before the snap, I knew what route Lockett should've run based on the alignment and was expecting it to be an easy conversion. It wasn't.

T1nac5pplc301

1. Based on the alignment of the corner, who is playing TEN YARDS off the LoS, the route should be either a hitch or a quick out

2. It doesn't matter if the LB's zone drop is to the offensive right to cover the flat, there is NO WAY he is sniffing that throwing lane if it's a quick strike. The corner could sprint straight at Lockett at the snap and still have no chance of stopping it.

3. There is almost no chance of a sack. The ball would be out as soon as Russ hits his back foot.

4. Even if it wasn't designed so, why the hell did the QB not audible? It's just obvious, there's no way around it.

This is a game changing mistake. I hope they hold Russ accountable for this or dammit get him some better QB coaching. IDK if he believes too much in the playcall or what, but this is an easy pre-snap read. Seriously, a Madden player can figure this out. We can't have our best players and coaches failing us when we have almost zero margin for error due to a cascade of defensive injuries and our pass rush evaporates like a puddle of piss on a 110 degree day.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand why QBs ignore easy completions like this. It happens all the time.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Play off like that with Brady or Rodgers and they will flip it out there before you can blink. Presnap reads don't seem to translate to audibles as quickly in the Seahawks system.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I saw that too during the game, I was hoping Lockett would stay put and Russell would have passed it. it's a guaranteed 1st down and possible more if he can shake the CB.

I thought for sure that was going to happen, only for us to take a sack.

getnasty

Reaction score
This has always be a gripe of my about Russ, I have no doubt he sees this he just need to change Locketts route and it a easy first down. Not sure why he doesnt change more plays at the line but a guy as smart as he is and who puts in as much time in the film room as he does you'd think he'd be changing play more then anyone in the league.

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":1egzo0mw said:
Others have brought this up, and this picture illustrates it perfectly. When I was watching the game, before the snap, I knew what route Lockett should've run based on the alignment and was expecting it to be an easy conversion. It wasn't.

T1nac5pplc301

1. Based on the alignment of the corner, who is playing TEN YARDS off the LoS, the route should be either a hitch or a quick out

2. It doesn't matter if the LB's zone drop is to the offensive right to cover the flat, there is NO WAY he is sniffing that throwing lane if it's a quick strike. The corner could sprint straight at Lockett at the snap and still have no chance of stopping it.

3. There is almost no chance of a sack. The ball would be out as soon as Russ hits his back foot.

4. Even if it wasn't designed so, why the hell did the QB not audible? It's just obvious, there's no way around it.

This is a game changing mistake. I hope they hold Russ accountable for this or dammit get him some better QB coaching. IDK if he believes too much in the playcall or what, but this is an easy pre-snap read. Seriously, a Madden player can figure this out. We can't have our best players and coaches failing us when we have almost zero margin for error due to a cascade of defensive injuries and our pass rush evaporates like a puddle of piss on a 110 degree day.

My bad wrong play in this case if you actually review the video he had no time and a TE running an out route right in the way

Crizilla

Reaction score
I hate seeing this pic. Wow. So so so dumb for them to take the sack here. Wow. On the verge of one of the greatest comebacks in franchise history and can't pick up a yard right here........just. wow

mistaowen

Reaction score
Anthony!":2389mu9z said:
adeltaY":2389mu9z said:

T1nac5pplc301

well maybe because if the defender does not pull Richardson down it is an even easier completion and maybe a TD as well.

Wrong play

Anthony!

Reaction score
getnasty":397w3o7p said:
This has always be a gripe of my about Russ, I have no doubt he sees this he just need to change Locketts route and it a easy first down. Not sure why he doesnt change more plays at the line but a guy as smart as he is and who puts in as much time in the film room as he does you'd think he'd be changing play more then anyone in the league.

your assuming he is allowed to, =also if you look at the actual video you would know that the TE ran an out route that would have taken him right in front of the play, by the time he cleared Wilson was sacked in fact the person who sacked Wilson was on him in under 2 seconds

Anthony!

Reaction score
Crizilla":2xln8hof said:
I hate seeing this pic. Wow. So so so dumb for them to take the sack here. Wow. On the verge of one of the greatest comebacks in franchise history and can't pick up a yard right here........just. wow

well, to be honest, he had almost no time to throw it any place. I am watching the replay Rw gets the ball looks up and there is the defender

Anthony!

Reaction score
mistaowen":1nq7lh70 said:
Anthony!":1nq7lh70 said:
adeltaY":1nq7lh70 said:

T1nac5pplc301

well maybe because if the defender does not pull Richardson down it is an even easier completion and maybe a TD as well.

Wrong play

yeah I figures that out and changed my post, thanks

getnasty

Reaction score
Anthony!":93jv5jak said:
Crizilla":93jv5jak said:

well, to be honest, he had almost no time to throw it any place. I am watching the replay Rw gets the ball looks up and there is the defender

I guess the only play there was a sack then, we did the best we could.

homerun1970

Reaction score
If only there was such a thing as an audible to keep the tight end from being in that space and allow a quick throw.

getnasty

Reaction score
homerun1970":2xnex6cx said:
If only there was such a thing as an audible to keep the tight end from being in that space and allow a quick throw.

Even if it was possible to change 2 passing routes before the snap which im sure has never been done in the history of the NFL, Ifedi would have been in the way as he dropped to pass protect.

Anthony!

Reaction score
getnasty":2td55pqp said:
Anthony!":2td55pqp said:
Crizilla":2td55pqp said:

I guess the only play there was a sack then, we did the best we could.

well better blocking might have helped!!

Anthony!

Reaction score
homerun1970":2knyndwr said:

look at the play live you will see there was no time

homerun1970

Reaction score
I didn't get the game in my area so you may be right. There has been countless plays though where a WR and a QB will throw a signal and the ball is coming out as soon as he hits his back foot. I would just like to see the offense take what is easily available at times, just frustration.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Smh, I watched the play and he had about 2.5 seconds before he was sacked. NOT good protection by any means, but if it was a timing play, he would've easily got it out. Lockett has a TON of space to the right sideline because they're on the left hash. He could literally have stood there and caught a screen and got the first with no issue of the TE getting in the way. If not that, run a hitch or short curl.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
God dammit, Ifedi got flagged on this play so it wouldn't have mattered. Point still stands on the audible IMO. We can debate it and I'm not trying to lay the blame squarely on Russ. I think it's a coaching problem if I had to choose. Ifedi just pissing me off even after the damn game.

Also, just watched the Baldy breakdown vid where he looked at five plays that helped the Jags win. Russ' read was to his left on this play and they ran a switch route to beat man coverage, but it was zone. Doug mentioned at the end of the game that they expected the Jags to play more man but they played zone. Why the hell didn't we run more motion then?? ATL did this to fantastic effect last year. It lets the offense know if the defense is in man or zone and the QB can adjust his read accordingly. This is squarely on the coaching staff!