Blair Walsh still here

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepahawk

Reaction score
I know this is discussed at nauseum but...
I logged on today, hoping to see his release.
I sweat ever kick he attempts.
I know, we didn't lose the game because of him but, he totally killed momentum, going into half.
How many chances can we give him, 20 of 26, approx 76% conversion rate.
I don't see this improving, please find someone off the street or wherever.
There must be a former college kickers looking for a job, bring them in to compete for the job.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It would be nice if they could bring in someone to compete. The salary cap situation is really bad due to all these injuries and late signings. Being an NFL kicker is hard. The guys who are not signed are, by and large, not signed for a reason. Still, it would be nice to have the competition against someone with better accuracy in wet conditions.

Walsh is not the worst kicker in the NFL, but he's in the bottom half of starting NFL kickers:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I'm sure that Pete and John have realized that they made a serious mistake. I do not see them changing kickers with three games to go in Regular Season.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Pete can be surprisingly stubborn when it comes to players and coaches. Sometimes he will keep them to a fault, and sometimes he has no problem letting them walk. He downplays his negative impact or defends him at every turn in pressers.

I suspect we won't see any kicker competition and/or his release until after the season is over.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1tll2yg8 said:
I'm sure that Pete and John have realized that they made a serious mistake. I do not see them changing kickers with three games to go in Regular Season.

I think Pete Carroll wishes we had kept Hauschka but doesn't see a good alternative and doesn't want to further unravel the confidence of the only kicker on the roster. The front office cap guys probably thought it would be a good way to trim cost in the salary cap. Boy, were they wrong.

Unless they can kind find a way to fit in some legit competition, our only hope now is that Walsh gains enough confidence to avoid the yips. It's going to be hard to find someone legit.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
We are down to 51 players on gameday and can't IR others because of the cap. We couldn't even if we wanted to.
At this point we're better off hoping he doesn't get injured. :shock:

OP
OP
nepahawk

nepahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3ss8kzn9 said:
It would be nice if they could bring in someone to compete. The salary cap situation is really bad due to all these injuries and late signings. Being an NFL kicker is hard. The guys who are not signed are, by and large, not signed for a reason. Still, it would be nice to have the competition against someone with better accuracy in wet conditions.

Walsh is not the worst kicker in the NFL, but he's in the bottom half of starting NFL kickers:

Thanks for the link. If you adjust the ratings for pct made, he ranks 32 out of 39.
That's pretty close to the bottom.
There has to be a way to manage the cap, for a kicker. Restructure somebody.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Last time I looked at Over the Caps website, we had something like $120k of room. We are forced to ride him out simply due to the lack of benjamins

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Releasing Haush was a sign this FO had no idea what it was doing.

Signing Blair was a sign they were believing the very BS they were shoveling us.

Everyone knew it was going to be a nightmare but this FO believes that somehow it is special and what happens elsewhere won't happen here (see all the terrible FA signings......I will wait).

When our staff starts believing their crap does not stink, we get terrible decisions.

This was one of them.

That even the average layperson could see our kicker struggled because our FO screwed our chances by signing terrible long snappers - was another example of how this FO gets cute to get supposed advantages and cuts itself off at the knees.

Now, a normal line and snapper means our supposedly inaccurate former kicker can kick again. Shocking.

Without Scott, the FO is no longer an advantage.

Walsh is one more symptom of that larger problem.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hire Scott back and make him go to Schick-Shadel. They only have the best alcoholism treatment in the entire world by a mile. (Officially.)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
There a couple on here who have asked where was everyone when the team released SH. They say there was no uproar then, why now.

Personally I was willing to trust the FO in releasing SH. That said, when they signed someone worse and had similar "mental" issues (confidence wise) that Hauschka was having I didn't like it. It seemed to stem from a salary issue but believe it or not Hauschka did not really have a bad 2016 season. He hit 89% of his field goals and was 7th in NFL in points scored.

I don't know if SH was worth signing what he got at Buffalo but I do know Walsh wasn't worth signing cheap either.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
nepahawk":klh5fpcj said:
hawknation2017":klh5fpcj said:

Thanks for the link. If you adjust the ratings for pct made, he ranks 32 out of 39.
That's pretty close to the bottom.
There has to be a way to manage the cap, for a kicker. Restructure somebody.

LOL.....yea, 32 out of 39 is pretty bad in a league of 32 teams. But I agree, I do not see us doing anything at this point of the season even if we have the money to change it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well if we had Steve, we probably don't have Brown or Sheldon.

and we get rid of Walsh, who is there,, that guy from Tampa?

OP
OP
nepahawk

nepahawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":9jpjyky4 said:

In the same respect, we never thought we would have room for Brown after the Richardson signing, while still retaining the likes of Graham or another big contract.
It seems where there's a will there's a way.
I could never figure out our cap situation, nor do I pretend to but, somehow we always seem to get the players we want.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
nepahawk":lce4fucu said:
Bobblehead":lce4fucu said:

In the same respect, we never thought we would have room for Brown after the Richardson signing, while still retaining the likes of Graham or another big contract.
It seems where there's a will there's a way.
I could never figure out our cap situation, nor do I pretend to but, somehow we always seem to get the players we want.

I was reading we were over CAP and have to be down before seasons end.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/12/9/16 ... -schneider

I didn't read the story, just the Caption.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.