Please stop resigning Vets

edogg23

Reaction score
We extended Kam and Bennett this year which IMO were horrible moves which are going to severely limit what could have been a great time to part with both of these players at the end of the year and get some comp picks. This team is getting too old and can’t stay healthy.
It’s time to let vets go we can still get comp picks for and start getting younger.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I don't agree. I don't want a team with only young players. Even our Super Bowl team had veterans to go with our young squad

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3adpygnj said:
I don't agree. I don't want a team with only young players. Even our Super Bowl team had veterans to go with our young squad

I disagree. Learn from the Pats. The only person an organization should be loyal to, is a Franchise QB. Everyone is expendable. That model got them 5 SBs. Loyalty gets you mediocrity and 1-and-done in the playoffs.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
That's an easy call in hindsight when they're out for the season. You could say the same thing about keeping Unger and the other o-line guy we let go. It's easy to make a decision when you already know what's going to happen.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Schneider has hit a rough patch, no doubt. Hasn’t been able to replicate early success, and now starters, in addition to depth is sub par. On top of that, we sold out a bunch of draft capital for to win now, which, clearly, did not pan out.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2dep6vh7 said:
That's an easy call in hindsight when they're out for the season. You could say the same thing about keeping Unger and the other o-line guy we let go. It's easy to make a decision when you already know what's going to happen.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

Hindsight is 50/50.

But also agree, you got to follow the Patriots model.

Loyal to only the QB.

It may suck to hear, but everyone else is expendable and you have a chance to retool with a good draft.

adeltaY

Reaction score
ludakrishna":zc4xxd5m said:
Scorpion05":zc4xxd5m said:

I disagree. Learn from the Pats. The only person an organization should be loyal to, is a Franchise QB. Everyone is expendable. That model got them 5 SBs. Loyalty gets you mediocrity and 1-and-done in the playoffs.

Well that's not really true. They've hung onto Devin McCourty for a while and recently re-signed Donta Hightower. They also had Rob Ninkovich for quite a while before he retired and have been playing old ass David Harris from the Jets this year. I'm sure there are other players as well.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2eujhebv said:
Our pathetic drafting is more of an issue..
This and just bad coaching has taken a huge toll.

You can only stay hungry and competitive for so long without adding young, cheap and talented players to your core.

Mizak

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3ly6hdc1 said:
Cyrus12":3ly6hdc1 said:

You can only stay hungry and competitive for so long without adding young, cheap and talented players to your core.

And if they start demanding money? Ship em off to Cleveland and Cincinatti.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
This is a really tough one. In isolation I don't think the signings are bad, but in combination it may be too much money on players who are (based on history) statistically likely to see their performance decline significantly in the near future.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":k31w0nwg said:
Scorpion05":k31w0nwg said:

It's a good thing they let Gronkowski, Solder, Hightwower, Edelman, and Slater go after those guys finished their rookie contracts. Imagine if they had kept them and been hindered.

This is also the part where I point out that the Seahawks haven't been "one and done" since 2004. They've won a playoff game every year they've made it since then. That makes them "two or done or greater".

And this also the part where I point out that even the amazing Patriots (who are admittedly better than everyone over the last 16 years) still went nearly a decade without winning a Super Bowl. So even with Belechick and Brady and this formula you're not talking about correctly, they still couldn't get it done over nine straight seasons.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Mizak":hbklzhyc said:
TheLegendOfBoom":hbklzhyc said:
Cyrus12":hbklzhyc said:

And if they start demanding money? Ship em off to Cleveland and Cincinatti.
Sounds good to me!

How about I'll coach and you GM??

Let's send Paul Allen our resumes!

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
It would be hindsite except I have been saying this since the beginning is the year.

I’m not taking second contracts but 3-4th extensions need to wait until they are free agents to decide.

Unfortunately, I would include Jimmy and Sherman in this list. Jimmy just doesn’t appear to have the speed anymore.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Resigning vets aren't the problem. It's resigning vets on 3rd contracts early that is the problem. There is 0 reason to give extensions to Kam & Bennett a year early. Let them play out their deals and then sign them.

Yes hindsight, but in the nature of this sport, it doesn't make sense. Only QBs really.

zchurch74

Reaction score
We lost today because we didn’t have our vets. You have to have a good mix of Young and old.

poly1274

Reaction score
We re-signed the wrong vets. Bennett and Chancellor asked to get paid more, and they didn't produced.

Crizilla

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1uag727d said:
Scorpion05":1uag727d said:

this (for the most part)

locking up an elite defender like sherman or wagner is fine. But yeah look at the pats. Youre right. They win with different rosters all the time. As crazy as it sounds, Seahawks need to re-build (around Wilson).

Jerhawk

Reaction score
zchurch74":3932my1l said:
We lost today because we didn’t have our vets. You have to have a good mix of Young and old.

Bennett was out there, jumping offsides and providing zero passrush.

I agree with the OP. And I never understood the comments after they were resigned of people saying "glad he got paid/glad he got his due." Really? Youre happy some millionaire got even more money, rewarded based off past performances, not concerned about the future of the team's salary cap?

The resigning of Bennett and Chancellor was terrible, but hopefully serves as lesson learned. Those moves were very Tim Ruskell like