Earl Thomas: “I know I’m hot” in response to free agency.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40013239-4

Earl Thomas had an interesting response when asked today if he thinks about his long-term future with the organization. The Seahawks have extended many of their core players a year before free agency and Thomas, 28, is signed through next season. "I know whoever gets me, I'm balling," he said. "That's it. And I know I'm hot. So it is what it is."

Will be looking for tons of cash, clearly.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ya, Earl tipped his hand after his injury and commenting on playing again about another safety signing a huge contract talking about not turning down that kind of $$.

Bye Earl.

rossob

Reaction score
Wow that doesn't sound as if he really cares about staying here. I always thought he would take one for the team.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
As well he should, he deserves it. He has busted his ass here and done a great job for us. He is one of my 4 on the defense that I think we pay their worth as he is hard to replace, a leader and very durable. It is hard to find all 3, and we saw what we looked like without him.

Wagner, Thomas, sherman in my mind are the guys you FOR SURE retain. They are consistently top rated in there position and rarely get hurt comparitively. I would put Bennett in this group as well, that way you have all 4 levels of the defense with one vet that is good and knows the system. They can communicate with each other and convey that to the newer guys. This helps a ton with consistency as we are going to have to allocate more money away from the defense and into OL, general offense, kicker and maybe Special teams. Have to save somewhere if you need to bolster other areas. We have given away a lot of picks this year hoping for a run that didnt happen. Even if we had those picks we have shown for years that our pre draft grading and scouting as well as draft pick development hasnt been that great. We are going to have to hire a lot of udfa's and fa's to fill out the team and the backups, at least for a year.

I would say also that looking at the draft busts we have had the last few years, we should maybe keep or even trade up in the first round for a good RB for the future. Someone like zeke elliot. If we had our franchise qb and rb sealed up, we would be in a much better position to build around them rather than having to sign 6 running backs every year and play roulette with them. If we had Carson, Davis, and a high draft young guy to develop it would free up the 2019 draft for other positions. I hope we dont trade our 1 good chance to get a franchise back away for 6 5th rounders of guys we end up releasing even before the really hit the field as starters, which has been kind of our MO.

Jville

Reaction score
Another signal that the greed of the one now outweighs the needs of the many.

The first evidence of the end of the reign of the LOB was signaled by Kam's holdout.

Clearly, that exceptional but perishable culture is dead.

It's over ..... 2012 - 2015 RIP

johnnyfever

Reaction score
And..

I think it goes without saying that for sure they need Cable out. He is not good as a running back coach or as an OL coach, which are what he is paid to do. Bevell needs to also go and would absolutely love to see some new blood in there. I think it would help to get the team back on the same page as well instead of training camp starting and be forced into the same offensive plays and OL strategy that has been atrocious.

Think of how nice it would be for our OC to be able to score in the first quarter more than once every 6 games, could you imagine! To actuall develop a gameplan based on our strengths and the opssing teams weaknesses rather than just trotting out the same stale thing. It is blaringly obvious opposing defenses can read us like a book.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Definitely really hard to replace a good safety.

I’d see how he plays next year with less talent around him again to see if he is really worth paying above top market. If it’s a close call franchise after next season.

I think it is a stretch to call him a leader. He’s never even been captain has he? Quite few articles out there on his locker room solitude/preparation, and it’s safe to say he has very weak communication/interpersonal skills. On top of that, he is becoming a me first player.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Bobby's comments really got me thinking...what if Earl Thomas has been part of the cancer in that locker room?

Its a hard pill to swallow because I always thought Earl was the heart and soul of this defense but now I'm questioning everything. I think we are in for one wild ride this off season.

Mike Silver also has predicted Earl is gone next year.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
IrishNW":3dxzvgp7 said:
Bobby's comments really got me thinking...what if Earl Thomas has been part of the cancer in that locker room?

Its a hard pill to swallow because I always thought Earl was the heart and soul of this defense but now I'm questioning everything. I think we are in for one wild ride this off season.

It does give you the sense that he thinks he is the best player on the defense, and is entitled to recognition over others — both monetary and media wise.

Re: Mike Silver, did he suggest a trade or something? I’d struggle with moving on next year, as we have essentially no replacement at all. Would kind of be winging it.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2634tpe8 said:
IrishNW":2634tpe8 said:

It does give you the sense that he thinks he is the best player on the defense, and is entitled to recognition over others — both monetary and media wise.

Re: Mike Silver, did he suggest a trade or something? I’d struggle with moving on next year, as we have essentially no replacement at all. Would kind of be winging it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/942937801959530497[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Maybe there has been something for a while between them?
This is from August this year....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bwagz54/status/901471933992099841[/tweet]

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
@Irish — seems like he is just throwing it out there as a talking point after the big loss. No specifics sighted really at all, just this player this player this player COULD be gone. I dunno, their round table seems just like a thread on here. No facts or nuggets or sources on any of yet.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3v9gp1hq said:
@Irish — seems like he is just throwing it out there as a talking point after the big loss. No specifics sighted really at all, just this player this player this player COULD be gone. I dunno, their round table seems just like a thread on here. No facts or nuggets or sources on any of yet.

didn't he predict we would make a big trade this season? he seems to have some inside info

SeaChickN

Reaction score
There is more drama on this team than my high school basketball team. And that was a bunch of teenaged girls. Thankfully we didn't have Twitter.

I'm ready to see some big changes this offseason. Even if it means an off year next year, if it brings us back to where we need to be sooner, I'd rather have that than limp along with all of this ridiculousness for another year. Or see us overpay anyone who is likely on the downslope or is somehow working against the team by not bringing the right attitude to practice/ games.

It's times like this when the vets should be stepping up and acting like leaders. I'm saddened/surprised by some of these guys.

At this point, no one is sacred as far as I'm concerned.

Jville

Reaction score
Although no trade is eminent and Earl is signed thru 2018, it does kind of spotlight a motivation for mortgaging the future a bit in 2017 ..... for one more run at it.

It's the band that is breaking up. The defense was a terrific act while they were hot.

We'll just have to make do with it's replacement ....... The Russell Wilson Show ..... which, at times, is a pretty entertaining act.