Deep balls on 3rd down

Gio

Reaction score
Am i the only one who thinks that whenever RW throws a deep ball on 2nd or 3rd down , it's like throwing it blindly or just pure luck? Like hoping one of our receivers catches it but there is a 50-50 chance for an interception or incomplete pass.. Crossing fingers and etc.. Against Jags that killed us. (Btw nice win yesterday, but offensively.. meh)

Anthony!

Reaction score
Gio":3a01333j said:
Am i the only one who thinks that whenever RW throws a deep ball on 2nd or 3rd down , it's like throwing it blindly or just pure luck? Like hoping one of our receivers catches it but there is a 50-50 chance for an interception or incomplete pass.. Crossing fingers and etc.. Against Jags that killed us. (Btw nice win yesterday, but offensively.. meh)

ON most of those as the announcers(jags game) said everyone went long so he had no other choice, PC and BEvel have said they like big plays and they count on their WR winning those. SO talk to your OC and HC, FYI we complete a lot of them so it is not luck

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
For sure I'm not blaming RW for that. He is the biggest factor that we're where we're right now. I just think that these big plays are too risky, and against good defensive backs it can become one of the reasons we can lose the game. That's on Bevell no doubt.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yesterday he threw 3 deep balls that I can recall. Two of them were on the goal line and they were back to back plays. All 3 plays had shorter routes along with people going deep, on one of the goal line plays he looked at his first read in the flat who he had open and decided to throw deep anyway. If it's a one on one match up against people not named Jalen Ramsey, AJ Bouye, Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, or any other elite corner I'm all for taking a shot.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
getnasty":34h2psfj said:
Yesterday he threw 3 deep balls that I can recall. Two of them were on the goal line and they were back to back plays. All 3 plays had shorter routes along with people going deep, on one of the goal line plays he looked at his first read in the flat who he had open and decided to throw deep anyway. If it's a one on one match up against people not named Jalen Ramsey, AJ Bouye, Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, or any other elite corner I'm all for taking a shot.

That's exactly my point. In case we go to the Playoffs we will face good defensive backs and Bevell should think it better before he call deep balls. So i really hope , we don't put our hopes in those balls.

getnasty

Reaction score
Gio":34za21z4 said:
getnasty":34za21z4 said:

That's exactly my point. In case we go to the Playoffs we will face good defensive backs and Bevell should think it better before he call deep balls. So i really hope , we don't put our hopes in those balls.

Just because people go long doesn't mean you have to throw it.

sutz

Reaction score
I was at least a little encouraged against Dallas where RW took the checkdown to the RB a couple of times. I think at least one of them was designed, since they faked the handoff, and then squirted through the line and parked in the under zone about 6 yards down field. Like anything, you can't do it too often because the D learns to adapt, but it has seemed lately that RW has missed some shorter routes that would have gotten the 1st in situations where he just let it fly 40 yards downfield.

This subject was discussed after the Jags game, and has come up along the way. We can't keep being successful on the long ball unless we can be successful at the short passing or the running game. We had some success running against Dallas. Davis is showing some Beast-like moves, which is nice.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1ijpqjqj said:
And that’s exactly what I’ve been saying — there are short to intermediate routes on those plays. Perhaps the fly is Russ’ first read and if he feels confident in getting it there and his receiver winning that battle, I can’t begrudge him for that. But to lazily blame Bevell or Pete for not leaving any other options is the typical absurdity/

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Sub-100 yards passing from a QB of Russell Wilson's talent is inexcusable.

Bye Bevell.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3f826ce9 said:

Bye Bevell.
A win’s a win and the offense closed it out. Bevell did his part. I’m sure Pete would agree.

themunn

Reaction score
As long as our running game remains inefficient we need to keep taking deep shots to keep the defense honest. I'm totally fine with it

hawknation2017

Reaction score
themunn":2c37bpgy said:
As long as our running game remains inefficient we need to keep taking deep shots to keep the defense honest. I'm totally fine with it

I completely disagree. We should be using more screens to compensate for the absence of the running game. That would lead to more offensive efficiency. The increasing number of low probability plays only compounds the problem.

sutz

Reaction score
themunn":g2bzmjb2 said:
Hmmm....I don't think it works that way. ;)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":2c58h2kn said:

...or Josh Norman, or DeAngelo Hall, or Bradley McDougald, and oh shoot, suddenly we're losing a bunch of games.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2va5t13p said:
hawknation2017":2va5t13p said:

Bye Bevell.
A win’s a win and the offense closed it out. Bevell did his part. I’m sure Pete would agree.

When the Broncos beat the Cowboys 51-48 in 2013, did the Broncos defense do their job?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ok468vy said:
hawknation2017":3ok468vy said:

Bye Bevell.

Dude once again just because we won doe snot mean there are not issues and one fo the top 2 is Bevel

mrt144

Reaction score
getnasty":3odw71uu said:
Gio":3odw71uu said:
getnasty":3odw71uu said:

I'm sure RW is listening to fans on .net over the coaching staff who apparently can't tame his proclivity to going deep. If only there was a way, say in play design, to take away lower probility routes, especially against good DBs and a mauling DL. If only.

Anthony!

Reaction score
mrt144":2r0vshvn said:
getnasty":2r0vshvn said:
Gio":2r0vshvn said:
getnasty":2r0vshvn said:

I'm sure RW is listening to fans on .net over the coaching staff who apparently can't tame his proclivity to going deep. If only there was a way, say in play design, to take away lower probility routes, especially against good DBs and a mauling DL. If only.

What is funny to me is the those complaining about it and yet the announcers say time and time again there was nothing but go routes. This is not an Rw thing this is a play calling thing. And even when there are shorter route as a few have said, they are either into open or the down and distance dont make it a smart throw. Nice that they finally decided to give him an out let though, Wonder why it took so long oh wait Bevell enough said