Maxwell punch fumble technique

seabowl

Reaction score
Did anyone else think back to XLVIII yesterday after Maxwell forced the Dez fumble by punching the ball out? It was the same move he used to force the fumble in the Bowl game vs. Denver.

Like Archie Bunker said "Those were the days".

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/945172940596830208[/tweet]

It's great having Byron back on the field.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I think that was a move Rocky Seto helped them perfect. He used to show the guys Bruce Lee clips, LOL.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hawknation2017":16n555iq said:
I think that was a move Rocky Seto helped them perfect. He used to show the guys Bruce Lee clips, LOL.
In the Super Bowl against Denver, I believe Walter Thurmond tries punch technique but misses and catches the receivers lower ribs/kidney area instead.

The Denver player must have felt it, and was thinking, WTH, man?!

It was hilarious. Lol.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That was textbook perfect. How they teach it. I feel like Max is where he is supposed to be. A Seahawk. He seems to fit our defense and plays up to his potential here. I love having him back.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Dez was nowhere close to securing that ball properly. Reminded me of those pics reproduced on Fieldgulls of how Alex Collins wasn't securing it properly either. Dez was asking for that fumble.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Aros":11vyc0o1 said:
That was textbook perfect. How they teach it. I feel like Max is where he is supposed to be. A Seahawk. He seems to fit our defense and plays up to his potential here. I love having him back.
Max only fits seattles system.

I'm sure he's very happy to be back.

Watch his YouTube with G Scott, Maxwell says he always loved Seattle even when he was in another city.

Some players just cannot be anywhere else other than their drafted teams.

I'm glad Maxwell is back. He was always a Seahawks only to me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1k3vtp0p said:
Dez was nowhere close to securing that ball properly. Reminded me of those pics reproduced on Fieldgulls of how Alex Collins wasn't securing it properly either. Dez was asking for that fumble.
That’s basicaly what Max said too. He said Dezzy was carrying the ball loosely and away from his body so it was a prime opportunity to punch it out.

mikeak

Reaction score
A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

(b) A ball in player possession.

Note: If there is any question as to whether a defender is stripping or batting a ball in player possession, the official(s) will rule the action as a legal act (stripping the ball).

Edit: looks like my rule reference on google was outdated. New rules for 2017 revised this and it is a legal play

https://t.co/r8PF05Q5D0

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Maxwell's forced fumble stands as a great play, but as icing on the cake, look at what he does once the ball is out. Instead of going for the loose ball, be blocks Bryant out of the play so that the only players who have a chance to recover are his teammates. Seriously heads-up football.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
mikeak":26nsez6f said:
A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

(b) A ball in player possession.

Note: If there is any question as to whether a defender is stripping or batting a ball in player possession, the official(s) will rule the action as a legal act (stripping the ball).

Edit: looks like my rule reference on google was outdated. New rules for 2017 revised this and it is a legal play

https://t.co/r8PF05Q5D0

Peanut Tillman was great at it too.

Funny you posted the rule book definition. A WSU linebacker this year tried the move, missed and punched a player in the ribs... got flagged. Surprisingly the inept pac12 refs figured it out and picked up the hanky.

mikeak

Reaction score
^That rule that doesn't apply is still listed on the NFL.com website on use of hands

I think the reason it was not legal is just because of the risk of punching someone. Then I found the 2017 rules where it is not listed as illegal anymore.

I was happy with the outcome obviously but went and looked for it right away since I knew it had been illegal in the past. Maxwell executed it very nicely including the "jumping" over the ball - to me it looks like he intentionally manages to avoid hitting the ball with his legs and thereby kicking it out of bounds

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pete preaches this technique and has repeatedly shown ‘Peanut Tillman’ techniques to his DBs and defensive players as regular part of coaching the players up every season.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Pete also brought Rugby Tackling to the league. One of the principals of rugby tackling is to get a fist on the pill (ball)

[youtube]7HihjPApzCg[/youtube]