Hawks have 2 of the 3 most penalized players in the league

semiahmoo

Reaction score
A dubious honor to be sure!

"The Seattle Seahawks set themselves up for a Week 17 shot at the playoffs with their win over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, and during the game Michael Bennett gave himself a shot at leading the league in penalties.
With three penalties against the Cowboys - two offsides penalties and a neutral zone infraction - Bennett moved into a tie with Garett Bolles for the second most penalty flags drawn this season with 15. The penalty parade on Sunday for Bennett gives him eight flags drawn in the last five games, with his last penalty-free game coming in the loss to the Atlanta Falcons in Week 11."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/12/25/1 ... olles-flag

Ifedi is #1 w/19 but drew no penalties the last game.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2xzvj18r said:

"The Seattle Seahawks set themselves up for a Week 17 shot at the playoffs with their win over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, and during the game Michael Bennett gave himself a shot at leading the league in penalties.
With three penalties against the Cowboys - two offsides penalties and a neutral zone infraction - Bennett moved into a tie with Garett Bolles for the second most penalty flags drawn this season with 15. The penalty parade on Sunday for Bennett gives him eight flags drawn in the last five games, with his last penalty-free game coming in the loss to the Atlanta Falcons in Week 11."

Tenor

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2mshtrej said:
semiahmoo":2mshtrej said:

Tenor

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jville

Reaction score
Ignoring the underlying purpose of the post and reading the complete article linked, the article itself volunteers a note worthy relationship. That being ........... the top three most penalized players, consisting of Ifedi, Boiles and Bennett, practice together in the off season. Interesting outcome.

Erebus

Reaction score
I've always thought his offsides were a necessary evil we had to live with if we want some kind of pass rush from him. And I think its very telling that the last game he had no penalties was the Atlanta game, in which we got absolutely no pressure on Matt Ryan all game.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Jville":2wkpinuv said:
Ignoring the underlying purpose of the post and reading the complete article linked, the article itself volunteers a note worthy relationship. That being ........... the top three most penalized players, consisting of Ifedi, Boiles and Bennett, practice together in the off season. Interesting outcome.

And Bennett only has 5 more penalties than Wilson. The number of penalties is hard to evaluate VS the situation the penalty occurred.

themunn

Reaction score
Bennett is a couple of splash plays on Sunday away from having statistically his 2nd best season as a pro (currently on 8.5 sacks, 16.5 TFLs and 23 QB hits, his best season 10 sacks, 18 TFLs and 30 QB hits, and his 2nd best was his final season in TB, with 9 sacks, 18 TFLs and 16 QB hits).

I can live with 1 penalty per game for the disruption he brings

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's surprising, doesn't feel like he has had a very good season for his standards. The guy is clearly playing injured, and likely for over half the season. I suspect he will be ballin' on Sunday.

adeltaY

Reaction score
themunn":2meusya2 said:
Bennett is a couple of splash plays on Sunday away from having statistically his 2nd best season as a pro (currently on 8.5 sacks, 16.5 TFLs and 23 QB hits, his best season 10 sacks, 18 TFLs and 30 QB hits, and his 2nd best was his final season in TB, with 9 sacks, 18 TFLs and 16 QB hits).

I can live with 1 penalty per game for the disruption he brings

What about hurries? Bennett used to be close to KJ Watt levels of disruption in 2014 and especially 2015 when he was arguably our best defensive player and was taking over games. I think PFF had him right below Watt in total pressures those years or something like that.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Carroll's teams usually are near the top in penalties. It's acceptable when you're winning 12 or 13 games and making deep runs. It's a fault when they go 9-7...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":293f8w47 said:
Carroll's teams usually are near the top in penalties. It's acceptable when you're winning 12 or 13 games and making deep runs. It's a fault when they go 9-7...

I think this sentiment was missed by the OP.

The physicality and energy of the the team, especially on D, was celebrated by fans when the team won. Now its being used to beat a pretty redundant theme.

Jville

Reaction score
Defensive penalties are typically forgiven with enough take a ways to make up for them ....... especially when a scoring turn over is included.

Penalties by offenses are forgiven when they avoid turn overs and collect enough chunk plays to carry the day.

Toxic differential is a big part of what Carroll pursues in building a football team.

Jville

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":hqfwn52n said:
Can anyone tell me why they cannot watch the ball for movement prior to their movement?

At Century Link there is the presumption of seismic events :229031_shrug: . But on the road, I have no idea.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Jville":r8pkwaz6 said:
Bigpumpkin":r8pkwaz6 said:
Can anyone tell me why they cannot watch the ball for movement prior to their movement?

At Century Link there is the presumption of seismic events :229031_shrug: . But on the road, I have no idea.

They are not as good anymore. Guys like Bennett are older/slower. They know they need a jump to have a chance at pressure. Not sure what the stats say but we sure didn't feel like we pressured the QB as much this season as prior ones which I chalk up to some guys losing that all-important half-step to Father Time and accumulated injury...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3gfc501c said:
Jville":3gfc501c said:
Bigpumpkin":3gfc501c said:

They are not as good anymore. Guys like Bennett are older/slower. They know they need a jump to have a chance at pressure. Not sure what the stats say but we sure didn't feel like we pressured the QB as much this season as prior ones which I chalk up to some guys losing that all-important half-step to Father Time and accumulated injury...

Maybe that's the problem - you let feelings guide your hot takes, instead of stats. Bennett has 8.5 sacks on the year.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":cf6tn9f7 said:
semiahmoo":cf6tn9f7 said:
Jville":cf6tn9f7 said:
Bigpumpkin":cf6tn9f7 said:

Maybe that's the problem - you let feelings guide your hot takes, instead of stats. Bennett has 8.5 sacks on the year.

Well sacks without context dont mean much. What is his average time to sack? I'm betting it's pretty high. I know one of his sacks was because Goff straight up fell during a hard PA fake. Even his sack Sunday was almost 100% due to Frank Clark's pressure.

Don't think Bennett is doing a bad job, he's just slowed down that's all. Also playing hurt.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Average time to sack? What does that even mean? What does it matter if the QB runs around for 15 seconds and gets sacked? It still counts.

Bottom line, Bennett is doing it just as well this year on an excruciatingly painful foot.