2 Questions Reg. Kearse + Trades.

poly1274

Reaction score
Was wondering if the trades for Richardson and Brown were necessary for the team?

1st Trade:

Was Kearse and
2018-2nd round
2018 -7th round

for Richardson who is in his last year deal.

The other Trade:

2018 3rd round pick
2019 2nd round pick

for Brown and 2018 5th round pick.

Were these trades worth it? Because it seems like a desperate all in move with 2018 Draft picks 1-4-5-5-5-7-7

Second question, would the offense be better if Kearse was still around? I'm not sure how WR #1 WR #2 works but was Baldwin really efficent at WR #1? Because it seemed to me watching the whole season and not looking at stats, he had a down year. So would like to ask if Kearse was around, would the offence be more efficient?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Worth it, I'm not sure. The desire was to go for the Big Game, but injuries derailed the season.

I really wanted to like Sheldon Richardson, but I like a healthy Naz Jones more - really.

I am concerned that this might be Pete's last year, which could explain the "all in" now, rather than win forever that we are used to seeing.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
I do know that, but then again JC is the one that has to work out contract deals to extend? Wouldn't make sense if giving away draft picks for a LT for 8games?

getnasty

Reaction score
Does anyone think that Brown or Richardson have been a disappointment? The reasons we haven't had the year we wanted has nothing to do with either of those 2. Plus the Brown trade was screwed by Lane failing his physical and Kearse was just holding Prich up.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
Prich hasn't been doing nothing more than Kearse did when he was in Seattle. (Except that 1 game)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Richardson trade was necessary because of the youthful stupidity of the rookie DT McDougall, if Richardson is capable of being re-signed then it could turn out to be a really great trade, and if not the team will recapture a 3rd Rd. Pick for him depending on the rest of their offseason machinations.

As far as Brown is concerned I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t think that was n’t a bad trade save for the Lane part of the deal. Perhaps Lane will still return some value before the end of his time here. The team now has a solid LT for at least another season or more and can bring Fant along in a more normal way for someone who has a very limited football background.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Those trades were made to win it all this year. It's looking like we failed, but I would rather have a FO with the guts to make a move vs the complacent ones that never make a move.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2mu9dosf said:
The Richardson trade was necessary because of the youthful stupidity of the rookie DT McDougall, if Richardson is capable of being re-signed then it could turn out to be a really great trade, and if not the team will recapture a 3rd Rd. Pick for him depending on the rest of their offseason machinations.

As far as Brown is concerned I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t think that was n’t a bad trade save for the Lane part of the deal. Perhaps Lane will still return some value before the end of his time here. The team now has a solid LT for at least another season or more and can bring Fant along in a more normal way for someone who has a very limited football background.

I didn't really think we needed an LT because RW mostly runs out of the pocket. But I believed in order to have a good rushing game, you need better Guards and a better C.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I would agree with Pete Carroll that these trades haven't really had any net gain. Richardson has made a few plays, but is often invisible. Brown is a legitimate LT, but when your QB takes deeper drops (I documented this, or linked to, in some thread some time back) than basically every other QB on average and also often gets outside of the pocket to see, then it's sort of a wasted investment.

I do agree with a previous poster about the interior OL, however. Britt is pretty good. Probably top 7 or so, but we also have two very lean, 6'6 gaurds, which is absolutely ludicrous. They are literally too tall and too skinny for the position, which means they lack both leverage and strength to play gaurd in the national football league. The idea that those two are guards is a "cognitively impaired" thought at best.

Back to the trades, not only were they not worth it, but lost us draft picks.

As for Kearse holding back Richardson, there's no net gain there either and again, it's moot because Richardson will be playing elsewhere next year or at least he should. He's not worth a contract to keep him here and he'll just be holding Darboh and/or Moore back. One of them should at least be able to block for more than .02 seconds, unlike Richardson, while also putting up an average #2 WR season like Richardson. Richardson is a whole lotta 'bout nada.

peppersjap

Reaction score
People need to get over Kearse! He is having a very good year for a very bad team where he was immediately the #1 WR. He was probably going to be cut and they used him to get a very solid DL who has played almost the whole year uninjured. There is no way we stay competitive if we continue to stay loyal to high paid veterans. If we continue down the road with Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor we will fail because there is way too much money tied up there (I love these guys). Take a look at Chandler Jones this weekend when Arizona comes to town. He has over 15 sacks and NE said good bye to him......I think they're doing pretty well since that move!

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
peppersjap":25ff9la9 said:
People need to get over Kearse! He is having a very good year for a very bad team where he was immediately the #1 WR. He was probably going to be cut and they used him to get a very solid DL who has played almost the whole year uninjured. There is no way we stay competitive if we continue to stay loyal to high paid veterans. If we continue down the road with Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor we will fail because there is way too much money tied up there (I love these guys). Take a look at Chandler Jones this weekend when Arizona comes to town. He has over 15 sacks and NE said good bye to him......I think they're doing pretty well since that move!

That's not what I'm talking about. When they line up Kearse lined up as WR #1 and Baldwin lines up as WR #2. Would Baldwin have a better season as a WR #2 than this year WR #1?

Again I'm not sure how WR lines up.

eastcoast12

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1uygpti5 said:
Back to the trades, not only were they not worth it, but lost us draft picks.

I am probably wrong, but if we don't sign Richardson this offseason and he leaves in FA, I believe we get a comp pick in return. With what he'll probably get that will turn into a 3rd.

Correct me if I am wrong. But JS plays the comp pick game well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Brown was very very very necessary. He is probably the only reason why Russell Wilson is not in Virginia Mason in full traction right now. Instead thanks to Brown we are now able to send Jimmy out as a pass receiver some of the time.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1n5ca0oh said:
Jimmy ain't blocking anyone or their Grandma anyway...
oh I agree but you can't deny that Jimmy's productivity has gone up substantially since Brown arrived.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I believe we went all in this year. There was no way to anticipate the catastrophic defensive injuries we have incurred. Without them, we would poised for another playoff run.

I understand why it was done, but have no doubt that we are an aging, expensive team that will really wish we had those picks. I hope having Malik back next year softens the blow a little.